Just a Barbell at home

carlsonbjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I only have a barbell with a bunch of plates at home. What workouts should I do? I can do bench press, squat, and deadlifts. I usually do one of those per workout, with like a 5 sets of 10 workout.

It's good that you're focused on the primary lifts.

Read the FAQ as a starting point.

Browse around a bit for a while--there are a ton of lifting routine threads.

I would recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Novice Program.

Read the FAQ in the stickies.

At least you are on the right track with movements.

I just downloaded the stronglifts 5X5 ebook this morning and there was a section focused on what to do with only a barbell and no bench or power rack. Just go to stronglifts.com and you can download it free also. It is well worth a read either way.

I only have a barbell with a bunch of plates at home. What workouts should I do? I can do bench press, squat, and deadlifts. I usually do one of those per workout, with like a 5 sets of 10 workout.

how do you bench press or squat if you only have a barbell?

clean and squat

setup a chair and lay in between its legs and use the chair as a makeshift rack for benching

I don't understand this, please explain?

lay on the ground under the chair and position it so that the edge of the seat is in your eyeline

think of it like a barbell floor press and you use the seat of the chair as the rack

lay on the ground under the chair and position it so that the edge of the seat is in your eyeline

think of it like a barbell floor press and you use the seat of the chair as the rack

Floor press instead of bench press with chair acting as the rack, got it!

If you only have a bar, how can you do squats and bench press? If you have a rack and bench do starting strength, if you don't:

Get yourself a pair of sawhorses and do starting strength - you can do back squats, presses, deadlifts, cleans.
For bench press, you will have to get a bench, or do floor press like I do -
lie on the floor, roll the bar to your stomach, and do a hip bump to get the bar to your in position, you will have to be strong enough to use at least those 45lb plates though.

I would recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Novice Program.

I entered this thread to recommend exactly this.

Here are the basics:

Consists of two workouts, alternating between the two, with workouts done every other day.

Workout "A"
Squats: 3 x 5
Bench: 3 x 5
Deadlifts: 1 x 5

Workout "B"
Standing Overhead Press: 3 x 5
Pendlay Rows: 3 x 5

Rippetoe discourages lifters following his program from augmenting/changing the routines. That being said, I occasionally incorporate hanging cleans into workout "B". And, I am editing to add that the key to this plan's success is consistently increasing the weight lifted. Try to up the amounts lifted each workout, even if by only nominal amounts...

If interested in more information, reply here, or PM. I have a wealth of links related to this workout, and have posted my own workout record on a bodybuilding forum, which I can share.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
All body muscles can be worked using barebell, without a rack. Of course it is better to have one.

I entered this thread to recommend exactly this.

Here are the basics:

Consists of two workouts, alternating between the two, with workouts done every other day.

Workout "A"
Bench: 3 x 5
Deadlifts: 1 x 5

Workout "B"
Standing Overhead Press: 3 x 5
Pendlay Rows: 3 x 5

Rippetoe discourages lifters following his program from augmenting/changing the routines. That being said, I occasionally incorporate hanging cleans into workout "B". And, I am editing to add that the key to this plan's success is consistently increasing the weight lifted. Try to up the amounts lifted each workout, even if by only nominal amounts...

If interested in more information, reply here, or PM. I have a wealth of links related to this workout, and have posted my own workout record on a bodybuilding forum, which I can share.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

With the greatest possible respect to Coach Rippetoe, one should approach strength training in exactly the same way as the martial arts: Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is uniquely your own.

SS is without a doubt one of the finest strength training programs out there. But that does not mean it's perfect for everyone. If by modifying the routine slightly you can make it more efficient for yourself, then one should not hesitate to do so.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Rippetoe.

Last edited:
With the greatest possible respect to Coach Rippetoe, one should approach strength training in exactly the same way as the martial arts: Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is uniquely your own.

SS is without a doubt one of the finest strength training programs out there. But that does not mean it's perfect for everyone. If by modifying the routine slightly you can make it more efficient for yourself, then one should not hesitate to do so.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Rippetoe.

Except people using the starting strength routine typically don't have enough knowledge to modify it a beneficial way. If somebody knowledgable helped them with modifications, it would be different.

Rip has himself has altered the program for people at Wichita Falls so hes not against changing the program. Foolish people just alter it the wrong way. To make it more optimal for an individual is hard to do at all and especially if you're a novice..

Fair points. I should have added the caveat that SS should only be altered if it can be proven to be beneficial for the person making the changes. And as such, that requires some experiance and knowledge of strength training.:redface:

Why didnt I think of that? Sounds a lot easier and less painful than a reverse roll of shame.

Back