• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jumping guard should be illegal!!!

Maybe keep slamming rules as they are to avoid injuries; but award two points for holding your opponent's centre of gravity above your waist, in front of you, for three seconds i.e. a position where you could have slammed him if you wanted to.

Also encourages people to keep their opponent's posture broken during sub attempts and let go of the closed guard when they get picked up, but still allows a flying sub/guard pull that actually does bring their opponent to the mat.

Man, if I only did safe sh!te I would have died of boredom years ago.

A'ight. I'm a guard jumper.
IDGAF. At this level (whitebelt), it works for me. AYHSMB.

Don't want me to jump guard on you like a monkey jumping on to a tree well, then, do something to stop me. Stop making threads to bitch about the legal shit people do in comps when you could be training to prevent or counter aforementioned legal technique.

Whaaaa! I always get armbar'd. That should be illegal at the white belt level because I could have broken my arm!
Ugh, just fucking train more and bitch less.
Jesus.
well that was an obnoxious post, you should consider killing yourself.

btw the thread starter is a black belt, so he can do a bit more to you than just stop you from jumping guard on him..

Yeah I am not a fan of just clinging to the standing opponent and praying he doesn't slam you. It is stupid and dangerous.

There is one single way to determine if it should be banned (or at least some rule modification). You need to take statistics at all IBJJF tournaments for one year on the number of injuries caused by different things. If you find after one year of tournaments that jumping guard caused 3-4 times more match-stopping injuries than any other thing, then you decide how to modify the rules.

There is one single way to determine if it should be banned (or at least some rule modification). You need to take statistics at all IBJJF tournaments for one year on the number of injuries caused by different things. If you find after one year of tournaments that jumping guard caused 3-4 times more match-stopping injuries than any other thing, then you decide how to modify the rules.
The issue isn't just about danger within the sport BJJ rules, it's about wider martial applicability.

Problem is that there are people who will pull your lapel repeatedly (after guard jump or when you stand up to pass) in order to make you fall over and land in closed guard again. Now if they succeed you get dqed. It is your responsibility to slowly put them on the floor when you realize that you won't be able to keep your balance (because he ispulling and hopping). That's immensely stupid and quite unfair (as well detrimental to street appliccability - it's a joke when people actually practice guard jumping instead of takedowns before a tourney).

So... if someone jumps guard on me and I have double unders... could I do a lat drop or some sort of back arch legally? If so, well then, there's your answer folks. Legally slam them over your head and make them pay for wanting you in their guard.

I just about KO'd myself jumping closed guard once in a competition, and ended up with a serious neck injury. Worst injury I've ever gotten in BJJ. It is an idiotic move for sure. I ended up winning the match, but was out of training for 2 months and had serious disc issues for a year.

Jumping open guard is fine, jumping closed guard is a terrible idea.

I think IBJJF already punishes jumping guard.

Trumpet Dan already posted a rule on their facebook site about this.

Basically, if you jump to close guard and the guy sets you down, the other guy gets 2 points.

I just about KO'd myself jumping closed guard once in a competition, and ended up with a serious neck injury. Worst injury I've ever gotten in BJJ. It is an idiotic move for sure. I ended up winning the match, but was out of training for 2 months and had serious disc issues for a year.

Jumping open guard is fine, jumping closed guard is a terrible idea.

Yep, as a former "guard jumper" myself, I definitely understand how bad it is for your body. At the 0:22 mark of this video I jumped guard, slammed the crap out of my back, and gave my neck some pretty painful whiplash. Since then I learned how to properly "pull" guard.

Now if I could only learn how to wrestle....

I wonder how you guard pullers feel if a guy outweighing you by 50 lbs (open class) jumped guard on you. Id rather not have to deal with hurting my back because you're not comfortable/lack of ability with your takedowns, throws, or standing sweeps.

I wonder how you guard pullers feel if a guy outweighing you by 50 lbs (open class) jumped guard on you. Id rather not have to deal with hurting my back because you're not comfortable/lack of ability with your takedowns, throws, or standing sweeps.

Never heard that complaint before. The guard puller has it much worse off than the guard-pulled. If the weight discrepancy is big enough, it's always going to suck being pulled down to the ground by a much bigger opponent, but in general I would much rather have guard pulled on me than pull guard, from an injury perspective.

Honestly if somebody who is supposed to be a good wrestler weeps and wails about having somebody just jump and latch onto them, I don't even know what to say. Like somehow being dragged down by a single leg is super normal and okay, but being dragged down by a guard pull is some sort of super dangerous brutal move.

Yep, as a former "guard jumper" myself, I definitely understand how bad it is for your body. At the 0:22 mark of this video I jumped guard, slammed the crap out of my back, and gave my neck some pretty painful whiplash. Since then I learned how to properly "pull" guard.

Now if I could only learn how to wrestle....

The issue is that your attempt at a guard pull was awful in every single way. Whether you have truly resolved that issue or not, you should not be injuring yourself off of a guard pull like that if you do it correctly.

Never heard that complaint before. The guard puller has it much worse off than the guard-pulled. If the weight discrepancy is big enough, it's always going to suck being pulled down to the ground by a much bigger opponent, but in general I would much rather have guard pulled on me than pull guard, from an injury perspective.

Honestly if somebody who is supposed to be a good wrestler weeps and wails about having somebody just jump and latch onto them, I don't even know what to say. Like somehow being dragged down by a single leg is super normal and okay, but being dragged down by a guard pull is some sort of super dangerous brutal move.

the difference is technique instead of Im not gonna take a chance. This is why learning takedowns are so important.

I think IBJJF already punishes jumping guard.

Trumpet Dan already posted a rule on their facebook site about this.

Basically, if you jump to close guard and the guy sets you down, the other guy gets 2 points.

Not sure about that. I pulled closed guard in all 3 of my matches at the Houston Open and was not penalized nor did my opponents get td points.

Not sure about that. I pulled closed guard in all 3 of my matches at the Houston Open and was not penalized nor did my opponents get td points.

As posted above, only if the guy has a grip on your pants.

Back