• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jumping guard should be illegal!!!

Last night my GF basically jumped guard on me and wrapped her legs behind my knees, if she was the same weight as me she would have got slammed for sure.

I feel I have good enough takedowns to takedown the average street bum, that's why I don't feel a need to go out of my way to train them (yet). Also you can't say takedowns aren't dangerous when things like this happens in tournaments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7k1rRicoyc Sorry, I don't know how to embed. But this is me a couple years ago. I had a crushed adams apple and my neck was all bent out of shape afterwards.

Edit: There's a bad angle on the camera kinda but basically I went for a double and he sprawled then got a head and arm and lifted me up off the ground.

This is an awful example..

ban submissions. People getting hurt all the time.

Keep watering it down, boys - You'll get what you wanted.

It's a fucking COMBAT sport, you're gonna get bruised.

I don't think people are suggesting that, quite the opposite. They're saying that tournament Jiu Jitsu should have good crossover to real fighting so that we're not left with just a bunch of TMA-ish drills as the "self defence" part of the style.

Coming from a judo-wrestling background, I'd argue that a lot of the crossover comes from being in good shape and being used to the aggression and mechanics of grappling, rather than cross overs in the techniques themselves. Lots of wrestlers, with no cross training in BJJ or MMA, have done very well in armed street encounters simply by being fitter and more used to the mechanics of grappling, because most people you might attack you on the street unarmed aren't serious fighters (serious fighters in a street situation use weapons and numbers - ask any cop).

You even get this with throws and takedowns - the way they're drilled is often very different than what happens in competition, because an adapting, resisting opponent changes everything.

Which suggests that problems in terms of self-defense come not from banning or limiting individual techniques, but from not allowing a general category (ie grappling arts lack striking, wrestling lacks submissions, judo is starting to lack ne-waza :icon_sad:, striking arts lack grappling). So long as the equivalent of full contact sparring is a large part of the style, it'll suffice for low key self-defense situations, which tend to mainly be against untrained people.

That was in fact Kano's whole point when he started judo. Traditional Japanese ju-jitsu's had a lot of very effective techniques that were banned in judo because they couldn't be safely used in randori (sparring). However, many would argue that the judo route (being able to go full out with a reduced set of techniques) is actually more effective for defense than having a broader set of techniques that can't be safely practiced in full out sparring.

I'd rather have a good sport BJJ'er covering my back in a back alley than someone who's spent a lot of time practicing self-defense BJJ instead of actually perfecting their mechanics in rolling.

to be clear i don't think it should be illegal but i think double guard pulling, and buttscooting should be illegal. That stuff is just embarrassing, that's not a martial arts technique.

the double DQ at Abu Dhabi was one of my favorite moments in bjj history. Those guys were just flopping around on their sides grip fighting. They were terrified to lose a grip or engage in any way. In the finals of a huge match, AFTER being warned 4 times. Embarrassing. They only wanted to play their Berimbolo 50/50 game, clearly they had no confidence in any parts of their other game, that's not BJJ.

i want this link :p

ban submissions. People getting hurt all the time.

Keep watering it down, boys - You'll get what you wanted.

It's a fucking COMBAT sport, you're gonna get bruised.

How is banning guard jumping, a technique with zero combative value and which has arguably caused BJJ stand-up to degenerate, going to water down the art? If anything it will encourage better takedowns, less defensive posture standing and increase the combative value of Jiu-Jitsu.

Back