Jumping guard - opponent touching your leg = 2 points to them?!

spirez

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My first competition is on saturday and my stand up blows so i've been practicing jumping guard. Last night i was told that if, when i jump, my oponent's hand touches my leg then it counts as 2 points to him, even if i pull him into guard :icon_conf

Have any of you guys encountered this in competition? Any tips for jumping guard cleanly and dealing with the arm that you don't have a grip on (vids appreciated!)?

Cheers

You could try more "pulling" that "jumping" guard.
*Little step towards the hand you have gripping his sleeve (I think)
*Stick the foot on the opposite side in his hip
*Sit down
*Pull him in

Dunno if you've seen it or if you have time to practice it before Sat but it might work...

Edit: I hate it when I don't get to the fucking point!

My first competition is on saturday and my stand up blows so i've been practicing jumping guard. Last night i was told that if, when i jump, my oponent's hand touches my leg then it counts as 2 points to him, even if i pull him into guard :icon_conf

Have any of you guys encountered this in competition? Any tips for jumping guard cleanly and dealing with the arm that you don't have a grip on (vids appreciated!)?

Cheers

You can also try running at them and jumping into closed guard. As soon as they start the match just run (as if you are going to barge them) and jump.

When you have the closed guard grab whatever grip you want to get before releasing your legs to go into the open guard of your choice. I suppose you could keep it close but its just a matter of time to open the closed guard from when they are standing. You might as well open it on your own terms.

ps is this for the seni competition in London?

Yeah for Seni, are you going?

I'm having one last session today to practice a few things so will try to work something out!

What has to happen is that I have to catch the leg and place and pin your legs to the floor - I get awarded 2 points for the takedown.

As for helping you out - sorry - I'm on the other end of the stick!!! I get sick of all the guard jumpers and have been working hard on my judo and my guard jumping defense!!!!!!!

I will be "Disrespecting the Legs" of any guard jumpers on saturday!!!

Why not try a takedown instead ... not only does your opponent not get two points, if you do it successfully you end up getting points and probably end up in side control.

I ref for GQ and US Grappling, there is a fine line here.

If you are attempting a footsweep and then your opponent pulls guard, you get the two points.

If your opponent is pulling guard then you try and attempt a foot sweep after the fact, no points.

If you are shooting in, IE forward motion, and your opponent pulls guard, its 2 for you.

Yeah for Seni, are you going?

I'm having one last session today to practice a few things so will try to work something out!

I am living in Korea untill September so unfortunately I won't be entering the seni this year. I was a bit disappointed that only 1 person from my old club joined and she was pretty new to the club anyway. I don't really want to say which club it was, but I moved to Mark Waldars club about two or three weeks before I left for Korea and it was an excellent club.

They will have a large tournament on May 11th which im entering. Ive been putting in as many hours of training as I can, my cardio has definately got better but at the expense of nagging pains throughout my body.

I am having the same problems as you, as in the take down problem. You don't have much time before the seni so just jump into guard. As soon as they say to start running at them immediately before there is any grip fighting. If you do happen to lose 2 points for the other person technically taking you down, its better than being fully thrown in a position where they can move to side control, mount etc.

When you jump into guard at least whatevers next will happen on your own terms.

If you absolutely need a takedown, go for the single leg, double legs although easier to finish are harder to get hold of.

So to summarise, pull guard even if you have to lose 2 points. If you don't have the experience of takedowns and throws then you can't learn it in the time you have left.

Anyway, tell me how it all turns out and good luck.

Why not try a takedown instead ... not only does your opponent not get two points, if you do it successfully you end up getting points and probably end up in side control.

I'm mainly a no-gi guy and as soon as someone gets a grip on me i'm lost! I'd rather not be on the bottom to be honest but if the guy is mauling me in standup i'd rather be in guard than side control or worse.

That's a foul isn't it? Or is that only if you have no grips?

I'm mainly a no-gi guy and as soon as someone gets a grip on me i'm lost! I'd rather not be on the bottom to be honest but if the guy is mauling me in standup i'd rather be in guard than side control or worse.

I was wondering what happens what happens if they get a grip and you go for a flying armbar or trianlge and it fails. I doubt they get anypoints no matter where they grip you but I could be very wrong. The only problem is that if the flying technique fails, you may be put in a very bad position ie them taking hold of your gi pants at the knees which makes it alot easier for them to pass and pressure you.

You need to have a grip to sit to your but.

A failed flying attempt is the same as pulling guard. If the sub is close, you can score and advantage.

Last night i was told that if, when i jump, my oponent's hand touches my leg then it counts as 2 points to him, even if i pull him into guard :icon_conf

Cheers

It depends on the circumstance. If your opponent speaks portugese and the ref speaks portuguese than that rule is applicable. If either the opponent or ref speaks no portugese than the rule isn't followed.

When it comes to your opponent jumping guard and you intercepting with a takedown the previous rule conversely applies.

Pretty sure its in the IBJJF manual somewhere.

When u jump guard pls make sure that put your back close to the ground, almost laying down, and your legs straight up the opponents arm pit.

Last tourney I got a little overzealous with my guard jump and ended up pulling the guy onto me and slamming myself (stupid move).

I write to you "7 stitches in my chin" later..... just take care to keep your back down away from his head and legs up.

Good luck!

Cheers

absolutely, happens almost everytime.

When u jump guard pls make sure that put your back close to the ground, almost laying down, and your legs straight up the opponents arm pit.

Last tourney I got a little overzealous with my guard jump and ended up pulling the guy onto me and slamming myself (stupid move).

haha, i did this i training a while back, no stitches but managed to wind myself pretty badly!

Cheers

Here is a story for you....

At the last Naga Worlds (earlier this month) I jumped guard as my opponent reached for my ankle but never touched it. After I won the match he was bitching to the judges that he shouldve gotten 2 points for a takedown. AND GET THIS....the judges put him back into the brackets!

Needless to say he didnt show them 2 triangles I had him in and the guillotine, that should have awarded me an extra 3 points...he just showed them 6 seconds of video!

So YES they will give you points if it looks like you would have been taken down! Be careful!!

haha, i did this i training a while back, no stitches but managed to wind myself pretty badly!

hehe ye.. im gonna do foot on hip and sit down from now on.. I love BJJ and all.. but its not worth risking injury to me when Im just really recreational with it.... i pay for the tournaments, they dont pay me! :icon_chee

thats why you control a sleave before you pull guard... that way he cant gripy our pant.

Back