Jump ropes that don't suck??

ljcsov

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know a lot of you use jump ropes for cardio. I wanted to get one for myself since I can do it whenever in the house (especially when the weather sucks outside for running). What works well for you guys? I've seen all sorts at the store.....plastic, nylon, with(out) bearings, leather, wood/plastic/foam handles, weighted, etc.

What is best?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I know a lot of you use jump ropes for cardio. I wanted to get one for myself since I can do it whenever in the house (especially when the weather sucks outside for running). What works well for you guys? I've seen all sorts at the store.....plastic, nylon, with(out) bearings, leather, wood/plastic/foam handles, weighted, etc.

What is best?

Thanks!
I like the rubber type ropes. They have a little weight to them and are a good workout.

Rubber with a plastic handle. I prefer not to have ball bearings.

I use one of these
Everlast Speed Rope - $7.95
Seems to work well for what I need. I haven't been training long with it, so I don't know it's durability, but it's nice enough. Lightweight, spins well, plenty of grip room on the handles. Easy to hold with wraps or not.

You can make any rope work for you.

I have a rope like this
http://www.bigbluecricket.com/images/products/detail/larger_Nike_Speed_Skipping_Rope.jpg
My only frustration is that when you unwrap it, it has loops and twirls in it that constantly catch your feet. Even after 4 years of use (An indicator to how durable they are considering I use it 5 times a week approx) it has slight bends. I'm sure you could straighten the plastic out by putting it in really hot water and hanging it off something high to let it straighten out though.

I've got a weighted bearing jump rope by everlast and it sucks. My shoulders get a massive burn before anything else.

leather ones with ball bearings in the handles. they move easier and last longer

For cardio Thai ropes are the best IMHO. Just make sure you get one of the right lenght because they`re not adjustable.

jump.jpg

Any old jumprope will do. But when you're first starting out, I think it is easier to learn on the plastic bead type.

For cardio Thai ropes are the best IMHO. Just make sure you get one of the right lenght because they`re not adjustable.

jump.jpg

These ropes fucking hurt if you hit your feet without shoes on. Learnt that the hard way >.<

I use something similar to the everlast rope mentioned earlier.

I went with the one on rogue fitness, the "ultra speed rope"

I have a valeo leather rope, sometimes it'll graze my foot and hit me in the back, leaving a lash mark. The plastic ones are definitely easier to use but they fall apart fast. The leather definitely spins slower and requires more effort to turn over.

jump.jpg

Yeah I have one of those. 16 ozer.

A good durable rope.

edit- just be careful of your toes if you don't wear shoes. I used to clip my toes when I started using it when my feet were cold. good lord that used to hurt.

jump.jpg

Yes, I have the exact same rope. They are awesome.

They are easily adjustable, you unscrew the screw on one end, cut it to the proper length and screw it back in.

I have a weighted ball bearing one. I don't put it to use much, but I think it's awesome. I get extremely tired though after 5-10 minutes mainly forearms and shoulders burn out.

Back