Judo'nt Know who you messin w/ holmes

J Storm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know there are a couple of very knowledgeable judo fans on this board and was hoping they could post any information they have about the upcoming 2008 olympics.

I don't know much myself and have just been watching highlights from the Athens games and was getting pumped up.

Anyone know what's up with Lee Weon Hee (Kor)? He seems like a baaad dude.

He is a monster.

Korean Judo is very good. Personally one of my favorite 3 styles, others being Japanese and Russian.

My original Judo instructors were from a Korean School. They tend to have their own distinctive techniques and preferences for grips and throws. One of them was at the Kodokan recently and mentioned while he was far behind many of thier elite level players, he had a few techs that worked consitantly on them regardless of how good they were. He said that most of them would ask about the tech, learn in almost instantly, and start using it on him in ways he never imagined

This guy has been on the ELITE world level for some time now. He is in a tough weight class with some real killers. He does have a decent chance of getting a medal at the 2008 olympics, but I wouldnt consider him to be a favorite.

Thought you were talking about Sherlock Holmes, who was a judoka:

The instructors went their separate ways and Bartitsu itself almost vanishes from the historical record after 1905, with the exception of a mention by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in his Sherlock Holmes story, "The Adventure of the Empty House", in which Holmes explained to Dr, Watson that he had defeated his enemy Professor Moriarty by using "baritsu, or Japanese wrestling".

Bartitsu is the style of Edward William Barton-Wright, who named it after himself after studying Judo and jujitsu in Japan. The reference to Japanese wrestling probably indicates he was referring to judo.

Somewhat off-topic, but Korean judo is called "yudo" right? Any major differences? It's still good judo, right?

No difference. Yudo = Judo. A lot of Koreans still resent the Japanese for their invasion of their homeland, so they prefer the Korean term of "yudo." My instructor is an older Korean. He uses the term most Japanese terminology. However, we still say greetings, attention and bow commands, and numbers in Korean. He also uses "yudo" sometimes, but "judo" is what he most often uses.

it's the korean pronunciation of the chinese characters that make up "judo".

Thanks guys. I asked because there is a judo club at my university, and it's listed as "judo/yudo". Wasn't sure if there was a difference.

Somewhat off-topic, but Korean judo is called "yudo" right? Any major differences? It's still good judo, right?

Funny you mention that.

The nice older Korean lady at the base exchange pointed out my "yudo" sweatshirt Friday and we proceded to have a conversation about the martial arts on base (her speaking mostly of the TKD)

Frodo makes a great point. Korea is one of the few place where they refer to Judo terms by names other than the internationally accepted japanese terminalogy.

This sucked for me and meant that all the names that I thought I was learing becaming a waste of time when I had to change instructors and learn the proper Japanese and american translations.

That being said, glad to hear you've got a Korean Background Frodo! I'm sure you have had experience with the Korean ankle picks and other techs that the Koreans mastered. Imo it makes it much easier to force people to open up and give you more openings to attack. Congrats on the medal at the Judo Tournament too! Not sure if we have met or not, but I can say that I have heard good things about you from other guys on team balance....

Anyone know what's up with Lee Weon Hee (Kor)? He seems like a baaad dude.

Not heard of him fighting for a while. Might be injured, might have retired early (like Jeon did0, I just dont know. the current world champion at -73 is another Korean, Wang.

Difficult to say too much about the Olympics because its still to be deiced who is going but he's my initial guesses at medals for the men.

1. Fallon (GBR)
2. Nomura (Jpan)
3. Tsaagannbaata (Mgl)
3. Choi (Kor)

1. Akimoto (jpn)
2. Miresmaeli (iran)
3. Derly (brazil)
3. Elmont (ned)

1. Wang (kor)
2. Kanamaru (jpn)
3. Bilodid (ukr)
3. Cuban Guy

1. Camilo (brz)
2. Bashkaev (Russ)
3. Bishof (ger)
3.Badra (Tun)

1. Iliadis (Gre)
2. TSIREKIDZE (geo)
3. Izumi (Jpn)
3.He(Chn)

1.Suzuki (Jpn)
2.Zeevi (isr)
3.Shao (CHN)
3. Cousins (Gbr)

+100
1. Riner (Fra)
2. Muneta (Jpn) [may not get picked]
3. Mikhalyin (Russia) [may not get picked]
3. Bryson (Cuba)

Not heard of him fighting for a while. Might be injured, might have retired early (like Jeon did0, I just dont know. the current world champion at -73 is another Korean, Wang.

Difficult to say too much about the Olympics because its still to be deiced who is going but he's my initial guesses at medals for the men.

1. Fallon (GBR)
2. Nomura (Jpan)
3. Tsaagannbaata (Mgl)
3. Choi (Kor)

1. Akimoto (jpn)
2. Miresmaeli (iran)
3. Derly (brazil)
3. Elmont (ned)

1. Wang (kor)
2. Kanamaru (jpn)
3. Bilodid (ukr)
3. Cuban Guy

1. Camilo (brz)
2. Bashkaev (Russ)
3. Bishof (ger)
3.Badra (Tun)

1. Iliadis (Gre)
2. TSIREKIDZE (geo)
3. Izumi (Jpn)
3.He(Chn)

1.Suzuki (Jpn)
2.Zeevi (isr)
3.Shao (CHN)
3. Cousins (Gbr)

+100
1. Riner (Fra)
3. Bryson (Cuba)

Good breakdown. Didnt see a single US guy on there, not suprising......

Fallon is one of my favorite Judoka by far, love to see him bring home the gold

Frodo makes a great point. Korea is one of the few place where they refer to Judo terms by names other than the internationally accepted japanese terminalogy.

This sucked for me and meant that all the names that I thought I was learing becaming a waste of time when I had to change instructors and learn the proper Japanese and american translations.

That being said, glad to hear you've got a Korean Background Frodo! I'm sure you have had experience with the Korean ankle picks and other techs that the Koreans mastered. Imo it makes it much easier to force people to open up and give you more openings to attack. Congrats on the medal at the Judo Tournament too! Not sure if we have met or not, but I can say that I have heard good things about you from other guys on team balance....

The head instructor, Kyu Ha Kim, is a master of foot sweeps. He is a beast of a man, though. I am over a foot shorter, and I have trouble with foot sweeps. I like turning throws. My judo could be a lot better and less sloppy, though. Hopefully I we can roll when I visit Philly for a week on Friday.

I've given up trying to speak things the proper way and just say them my way.... Yes sometimes I end up being this guy....

1. Fallon (GBR)
2. Nomura (Jpan)
3. Tsaagannbaata (Mgl)
3. Choi (Kor)

1. Akimoto (jpn)
2. Miresmaeli (iran)
3. Derly (brazil)
3. Elmont (ned)

1. Wang (kor)
2. Kanamaru (jpn)
3. Bilodid (ukr)
3. Cuban Guy

1. Camilo (brz)
2. Bashkaev (Russ)
3. Bishof (ger)
3.Badra (Tun)

1. Iliadis (Gre)
2. TSIREKIDZE (geo)
3. Izumi (Jpn)
3.He(Chn)

1.Suzuki (Jpn)
2.Zeevi (isr)
3.Shao (CHN)
3. Cousins (Gbr)

+100
1. Riner (Fra)
3. Bryson (Cuba)

The only problem I have here is Riner. He was truly horrible at the Kano Cup and the worlds gold was, and I hope this isnt harsh, lucky. Inoue was way off form and still beat him IMO, I would be very surprised if he gets anywhere in 08.

The only problem I have here is Riner. He was truly horrible at the Kano Cup and the worlds gold was, and I hope this isnt harsh, lucky. Inoue was way off form and still beat him IMO, I would be very surprised if he gets anywhere in 08.

Any word if Inoue will be competing? Or has he retired?

Any word if Inoue will be competing? Or has he retired?

Eh, I dunno, I think they still believe here and his name is such a marqee that its gonna be hard for them to drop him, but hes been off form for a while and has never really recaptured his 2000 syd level form. Could be put out to pasture soon I think. Ishii could be a good replacement although I think hes far from being a favourite of the selectors.

The head instructor, Kyu Ha Kim, is a master of foot sweeps. He is a beast of a man, though. I am over a foot shorter, and I have trouble with foot sweeps. I like turning throws. My judo could be a lot better and less sloppy, though. Hopefully I we can roll when I visit Philly for a week on Friday.

I've given up trying to speak things the proper way and just say them my way.... Yes sometimes I end up being this guy....

That ad still makes me laugh.

As far as Won Hee Lee I heard he broke his leg badly. It was only a blip and I do not remember where i read it or even if i heard it right. Sorry.

Back