Judo'nt Know who you messin w/ holmes

by the way, who is the Roger Gracie of Judo at the moment? (the biggest name in judo).

Ps. what is the main difference between the Russian and European style of Judo?

Don't want to take this away from the topic, but I think this is still related to J Storm's thread...

, I would be very surprised if he gets anywhere in 08.

He's already won Paris in 08 which is arguably the second biggest event of the year.

He lost in Germany and he often wins fights by small margins but he has to be the favourite IMO. He still hasnt turned 19 so he may still be getting stronger.

Difficult to see how Japan can pick Inoue given his results abroad vs Muneta and Ishii. Asian champs still to come though.

by the way, who is the Roger Gracie of Judo at the moment? (the biggest name in judo).
Tani is the biggest name in wome's judo.

There is currently no dominant force in men's judo today to compare to Inoue in 99-03 or even to Jeon, Douillet and Nastula in the 90s.Nomura could well win a 4th olympic gold in a row which is astinishing but he doesnt do much between Olympics.

Best at the mo is Iliadis. He makes mistakes, doesnt show much on the ground, and is beatable BUT is a huge huge thrower who nearly always wins by ippon. He has gone throough weight classes like nobody in history. European -23champion at 73kg, Olympic and euro champion at 81kg, 2 World chp silvers and a silly Number of World cup golds at 90kg and Paris at 100 kg.

He's only 21 so could become one of the greatest ever.

There is currently no dominant force in men's judo today to compare to Inoue in 99-03 or even to Jeon, Douillet and Nastula in the 90s.Nomura could well win a 4th olympic gold in a row which is astinishing but he doesnt do much between Olympics.

Best at the mo is Iliadis. He makes mistakes, doesnt show much on the ground, and is beatable BUT is a huge huge thrower who nearly always wins by ippon. He has gone throough weight classes like nobody in history. European -23champion at 73kg, Olympic and euro champion at 81kg, 2 World chp silvers and a silly Number of World cup golds at 90kg and Paris at 100 kg.

He's only 21 so could become one of the greatest ever.
god damn, he has been bulking up, hasn't he!? from 73kg to 100.. where is he from. greece? I will be looking out for him then

I remember thinking Jossinet was finally going to get a much deserved World Championship with Tani having a kid and then she still goes and loses in the finals.

Iliad is only 21:icon_surp He had a mountain beard 4 years ago. I figured he was close to his thirties back than.

Yeah, he will be one to watch for a while.

Ps. what is the main difference between the Russian and European style of Judo?

Russian judo is often considerd to be more powerful and perhaps less techical, more pickups, wrestling influenced, not surprsing as many russian judokas are samboists/wrestlers aswell and vice versa, a hunched stance as opposed to the japanese upright one

some of the more experienced and international intereste judokas can probably give a more thourough explanation,

was it JudoGido who broke down several of the differnt styles? I will search for that thread

Not heard of him fighting for a while. Might be injured, might have retired early (like Jeon did0, I just dont know. the current world champion at -73 is another Korean, Wang.

Difficult to say too much about the Olympics because its still to be deiced who is going but he's my initial guesses at medals for the men.

1. Fallon (GBR)
2. Nomura (Jpan)
3. Tsaagannbaata (Mgl)
3. Choi (Kor)

1. Akimoto (jpn)
2. Miresmaeli (iran)
3. Derly (brazil)
3. Elmont (ned)

1. Wang (kor)
2. Kanamaru (jpn)
3. Bilodid (ukr)
3. Cuban Guy

1. Camilo (brz)
2. Bashkaev (Russ)
3. Bishof (ger)
3.Badra (Tun)

1. Iliadis (Gre)
2. TSIREKIDZE (geo)
3. Izumi (Jpn)
3.He(Chn)

1.Suzuki (Jpn)
2.Zeevi (isr)
3.Shao (CHN)
3. Cousins (Gbr)

+100
1. Riner (Fra)
2. Muneta (Jpn) [may not get picked]
3. Mikhalyin (Russia) [may not get picked]
3. Bryson (Cuba)

Peter Cousins didn't do so well at the EUR Championships.

Russian judo is often considerd to be more powerful and perhaps less techical, more pickups, wrestling influenced, not surprsing as many russian judokas are samboists/wrestlers aswell and vice versa, a hunched stance as opposed to the japanese upright one

some of the more experienced and international intereste judokas can probably give a more thourough explanation,

was it JudoGido who broke down several of the differnt styles? I will search for that thread

if you find that link throw it up brother

any of you know if Judo will be shown on TV?

If you're talking about American TV, the chances of seeing it are slim and none. If Ronda Rousey medals, you might see clips of her matches but other than that you might have to watch French or Japanese TV.

I really wish they'd stream these events on the interwebs...

does anyone know if any network will be putting up any live streams for any of the judo events?

does anyone know if any network will be putting up any live streams for any of the judo events?

I can't believe they aren't going to televise any of the Judo matches here in the US. Complete BS. I hope that there will be some kind of stream somewhere where we will be able to watch.

If we're talking about korean judo, does anyone know who the guy is at 1:44 in this video. I love this uchi mata! <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MjQUF1sh2Ww&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MjQUF1sh2Ww&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That sounds about right since although you can say that is definetly the way it is done in Georgia more than Russia.(Tmenov is a great example of a very technically sound fighter)

It sounds like if they do show any footage it will be mixed in with other things.(They did the same think in 04 with Jimmy Pedro getting the bronze.)

I know USAJudo has a webcast of thier events at Nifty-TV.com.

They might show Olympic events there, but who knows. If you really want to see Judo on TV, I think a letter writing campaign is in order...

Not heard of him fighting for a while. Might be injured, might have retired early (like Jeon did0, I just dont know. the current world champion at -73 is another Korean, Wang.

Difficult to say too much about the Olympics because its still to be deiced who is going but he's my initial guesses at medals for the men.

1. Fallon (GBR)
2. Nomura (Japan)
3. Tsaagannbaata (Mgl)
3. Choi (Kor)

1. Akimoto (jpn)
2. Miresmaeli (iran)
3. Derly (brazil)
3. Elmont (ned)

1. Wang (kor)
2. Kanamaru (jpn)
3. Bilodid (ukr)
3. Cuban Guy