Judoka interested in BJJ & wrestling

Thejoshbender95

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I wasn't sure where or how to post this in the right place but I'm college aged judoka looking to improve and expand my ground game, I can either start doing BJJ or Folkstyle (I think) Wrestling, I
Imagine BJJ has more in common with judo but I have always wanted to try wrestling and I often find myself using a lot of wrestling techniques (again I think I'm not sure) in judo ie relying more on pins than submissions, focusing on top control, and often gripping in what I think is more of a judo friendly collar and elbow grip when standing and using techniques that involve moving towards your opponent ie cerntain foot sweeps, osoto gari (I'm diversifying as I improve I now work in mostly 3 diff kinds of seio nage, uchi mata, and occasionly tai otoshi)

A lot of HS wrestling state champs have judo background.

I'd stick with BJJ if you want to expand your ground game.

Id go with BJJ too. It specializes strictly in ground game so the over lap would be less than with wrestling.

If you want to improve your Judo imo wrestling carries over a bit more easily due to the emphasis on not being on your back as much as possible.

However being comfortable off your back is something you will definitely pick up from BJJ.

Id go with BJJ too. It specializes strictly in ground game so the over lap would be less than with wrestling.

yeah, with judo you at least already have some good tds and tdd. now you can focuses on the ground game, subs, sweeps, guard.

I recommend wrestling while you are young and have the chance.

BJJ will always be there as an option. Wrestling may not.

yeah, with judo you at least already have some good tds and tdd. now you can focuses on the ground game, subs, sweeps, guard.

You sound like you're saying there's no such thing as Judo newaza. My coaches are at least brown belt level in BJJ I'd guess, one of our guys got his BJJ purple belt a few years ago and he can't even move against our coaches; he literally can't do a thing.

Personally I'd rather do wrestling, I hate that Judo banned leg grabs. I've trained BJJ before and, at least in my area, I didn't learn much that I hadn't done before in newaza other than escaping leg lock attempts. I will put a bit of a disclaimer and say that we are quite a newaza orientated club compared to most.

You sound like you're saying there's no such thing as Judo newaza. My coaches are at least brown belt level in BJJ I'd guess, one of our guys got his BJJ purple belt a few years ago and he can't even move against our coaches; he literally can't do a thing.

Personally I'd rather do wrestling, I hate that Judo banned leg grabs. I've trained BJJ before and, at least in my area, I didn't learn much that I hadn't done before in newaza other than escaping leg lock attempts. I will put a bit of a disclaimer and say that we are quite a newaza orientated club compared to most.

you need to train bjj at a different gym then. there's no way any judoka could do anything to any purple and above around these parts (on the ground)

I feel wrestling is more similar to Judo.
To improve your groundgame though...do bjj at a gym that produces good results. There's so many ex-wrestlers, ex-judoka & mma fighters that also train bjj these days that you'll likely find a good mix of guys already training there. That and the best way to improve your ground game is to just spend more time on the ground. You do that far more in bjj than in judo/wrestling.

I personally prefer wrestling over bjj if given the choice to compliment my judo. I mean in judo we do spend most of the time standing like in wrestling and the cross-over of that wrestling base & core strength you develop alongside technique is great for playing counter judo.

I suggest trying both and choosing that which most appeals to you.

Last edited:
Just as Leverage said, go for BJJ because you'll meet plenty of ex-wrestlers. Just don't let the BJJ guy show how to do any takedowns though.

you need to train bjj at a different gym then. there's no way any judoka could do anything to any purple and above around these parts (on the ground)

He didn't train at the same place I did. The guy he trained under is a black belt under an ex BJJ world champ, no idea who as I don't follow BJJ.

I hold my own with him in newaza and submit him a fair bit. The BJJ club I went to was a subsidiary of the world number 3 or whatever at some weight in 2012 and he did gradings twice a year and seminars. Again, I have no idea who but their blue belts were terrible and there weren't any purples while I was there. I'll edit this post when I can be bothered to go on the clubs' websites to find the guys' names.

I only stayed there for a few months and kept breaking bones in Judo so had a lot of time off and didn't go back. I may go back there when I want to get some pro fights.

Oh and both my Judo coaches have over 60 years of Judo between them. It isn't farfetched that they would be dominating BJJ purple belts considering it only takes 6 years to achieve on average, I've heard.

Last edited:
I would go for wrestling, BJJ will always be there.

I say wrestling if your still in college you might join part of a wrestling club so it will be cheaper. Also i think the physical training translate well into judo. BJJ will help your ground game but I think you will find the rules in Judo newaza and BJJ's creativity contradicting. BJJ will help your game but if your still in college and can take a advantage of wrestling I say why not.

If your just interested in learning or practicing a new grappling art without caring if it complements your judo or not. Then maybe BJJ you can continue it for a while and BJJ community is pretty cool.

Last edited:
A lot of HS wrestling state champs have judo background.

I'd stick with BJJ if you want to expand your ground game.

I would bet the house that there are less than 1% of HS state champions with any real judo background.

My question is what are you trying to expand your ground game for? To be better at Judo? MMA? Da streetz?

You may be wrong as many bjj guys, specially those coming from Helio

Back