Judo reigns supreme in Dream 16

Why is it obvious?

He has trained extensivly with Fedors team, who doesn't have a BJJ coach, and why would the Dutch Red Devil club be a BJJ club?

In the US he has been with Gokor

Sambo/Judo can provide a more then adequate ground game for MMA

This.

These guys are all crosstraining in separate arts. It's never a good night for judo,bjj,boxing, sambo, catch wrestling, ect ect. It's only a good night for the guy who used every tool in his shed to beat his opponent.

Fact of the day.

Not all submissions in MMA are a result of BJJ training.

Why is it obvious?

He has trained extensivly with Fedors team, who doesn't have a BJJ coach, and why would the Dutch Red Devil club be a BJJ club?

In the US he has been with Gokor

Sambo/Judo can provide a more then adequate ground game for MMA

I'm aware that what Judo can provide. I've trained in it for quite some time. I didnt say anything about it not being adequate.

Mousasi has trained with Fedor, but that isnt the only team he trains with.

I'm saying its obvious because the way Mousasi fights is not like the way Fedor, Gokor, or any of the other straight Judo/Sambo fighters fight. He plays guard textbook BJJ.

I'm aware that what Judo can provide. I've trained in it for quite some time. I didnt say anything about it not being adequate.

Mousasi has trained with Fedor, but that isnt the only team he trains with.

I'm saying its obvious because the way Mousasi fights is not like the way Fedor, Gokor, or any of the other straight Judo/Sambo fighters fight. He plays guard textbook BJJ.

I did a little google-fu and I guess I stand corrected

seems Gegard spent quite some time with Jurojin Sportschool with Remco Pardoel , and they
Grappling & BJJ Sportschool Jurojin
seem to be affiliated with Bracie Barra but I don't read dutch

IIRC Remco did get a BJJ BB later on

I think you can still see alotta judo in Gegard thou, the way he takes people down, often just by kuzashi and legtrips and the weak doublelegs:p

BJJ seems to hog all the judokas thou.

Several of the greats started out with judo and transitioned into BJJ
Jacare, Maia, Nog brothers, Marcelo

I think you can still see alotta judo in Gegard thou, the way he takes people down, often just by kuzashi and legtrips and the weak doublelegs:p

Don't forget Aoki, he is more BJJ now than Judo IMO.

He definitely uses plenty of Judo. He's a mixed Martial artist, he uses everything.

Yeah but this isn't the first time that has happened. It's not like today was the first day that we've seen judoka succeed in MMA. It's irrelevant that a few of those matches happened on the same card. We knew judo could be effective in MMA beforehand, and we still know it.

qft.

pretty hard to argue that judo hasn't been effective in MMA for quite some time now.

Don't forget Aoki, he is more BJJ now than Judo IMO.

His takedowns are still very much judo, but his ground (positioning, guard work, etc) is very much bjj oriented. And it's ridiculous that I'm even bothering to break this down since the two arts differ only by what's allowed in competition, save for a few newer bjj-specific things. He also trains with some shootfighter types, and this is reflected by his use of leglocks (as well as all the guys in his gym).

I actually really dig their approach to grappling there: very dynamic and aggressive bjj game, do not neglect takedowns but still have strong guard, and they don't neglect leglocks. Yuki Nakai has his boys trained well.

His takedowns are still very much judo, but his ground (positioning, guard work, etc) is very much bjj oriented. And it's ridiculous that I'm even bothering to break this down since the two arts differ only by what's allowed in competition, save for a few newer bjj-specific things. He also trains with some shootfighter types, and this is reflected by his use of leglocks (as well as all the guys in his gym).

I actually really dig their approach to grappling there: very dynamic and aggressive bjj game, do not neglect takedowns but still have strong guard, and they don't neglect leglocks. Yuki Nakai has his boys trained well.

Aoki is a very well rounded grappler I agree. Solid guard, takedowns, leg locks. He is really fun to watch as well, he has an aggressive game.

And Nakai had such great newaza that he got his BJJ BB straight from the IBJJF or something:D

*just exaggerating to make a point

Its funny, all I saw either doing was MMA. Where in the video do they stop to do a judo match and a BJJ match?

Pure styles went out in the 90's. Everyone cross trains in MMA. Neither pure judo nor pure BJJ will get you far in MMA, and everyone trains in everything, so why do these kinds of threads keep coming up?

It's interesting to note that I have recently seen a bunch of top-level Aussie judoka training in MMA. A few have had amateur fights recently. Whereas say 10 years ago I knew of NO judoka in Aus interested in MMA... or rather, very few.

Compare this to BJJ where MMA has ALWAYS been on the radar - through it's early Gracie influence.

So I would not be surprised to see more and more judoka creeping into the MMA scene because - like wrestling - judo training is tough and judo competition is good mental preparation for the intensity of MMA matches.

Whether judo will ever "dominate" I don't believe so - however I do see it having a greater impact as more MMA exposure interests more judoka.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back