Judo reigns supreme in Dream 16

Jaxx

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Good night for Judo.

Is this the start of Judo making an impact in MMA at last?

Discuss.

p5z5l.gif
[/QUOTE]

Judo has always made an impact in MMA. Is this the start of more Judoka competing in MMA? Who knows.

Define "start".

Having a higher volume in Judoka fight in MMA generally. Dream 16 was the first time where i think Judo was most practised MA, compared to wrestling, BJJ or stiking styles.

Factor in that Judo is the most popular MA worldwide, with the greatest talent pool available, it should be bigger in MMA than what it is now.

I've always wondered why people don't do more foot sweeps from the clinch.

Jiu jitsu had an alright night as well...

Miller over a poor old Sak(arm triangle)...Mousasi over Mizuno(RNC)...Hansen over tokoro(Triangle)....

Omigawa had a nice inverted armbar but I do not know his training background. :confused:

Miller over a poor old Sak(arm triangle)...Mousasi over Mizuno(RNC)...Hansen over tokoro(Triangle)....

Omigawa had a nice inverted armbar but I do not know his training background. :confused:

Omigawa was a member of the Japanese national team in judo. While he never broke in to the absolute elite of his weightclass internationally his competition resume is still more than impressive having won Kano Cup and couple of medals in the Asian Championships.

...Mousasi over Mizuno(RNC)...

Mousasi trains BJJ? What belt is he?

Always had him as a boxer/kickboxer with some Judo as well? Could be wrong..

Okay, a judoka, who has been fighting for a number of years, where may others have been fighting before him with a judo background, gets a sub, and this is the start of something how? There have already been many judoka in MMA, and Omigawa has been on a roll lately since he's accumulated the necessary experience to make his style work (and greatly improved his boxing). So how is this the start of anything?

Mousasi trains BJJ? What belt is he?

Always had him as a boxer/kickboxer with some Judo as well? Could be wrong..

I don't think Mousasi does Judo. Sambo maybe.

Regardless, it's not like he tapped out a good fighter.

Okay, a judoka, who has been fighting for a number of years, where may others have been fighting before him with a judo background, gets a sub, and this is the start of something how? There have already been many judoka in MMA, and Omigawa has been on a roll lately since he's accumulated the necessary experience to make his style work (and greatly improved his boxing). So how is this the start of anything?

Re-read post #4.

Its not a post purely about one sub. More the fact that there was many Judoka in one event and they did well.

Re-read post #4.

Its not a post purely about one sub. More the fact that there was many Judoka in one event and they did well.

Yeah but this isn't the first time that has happened. It's not like today was the first day that we've seen judoka succeed in MMA. It's irrelevant that a few of those matches happened on the same card. We knew judo could be effective in MMA beforehand, and we still know it.

Cool, so he isnt a BJJ guy then?

You know to be honest, I wouldn't rely on anything I've said. I'm really not sure what he does for training.

But does it matter? He's a solid grappler.

Yeah, and Sak was already 50% out from punch...But wait!! Sak always look 50% out since a couples of years now lol!!

My grappling base is cacc and i realy like Saku, but i think he shoul retire now or fight lesser competition...

How does Mousasi choking Mizuno mean a "good night for BJJ"?
Mousasi's grappling is definitley judo based (he is armenian! :D) and its a judo technique! :icon_conf

Yeah, and Sak was already 50% out from punch...But wait!! Sak always look 50% out since a couples of years now lol!!

My grappling base is cacc and i realy like Saku, but i think he shoul retire now or fight lesser competition...

Yeah, should of retired long ago.

One of my all time favourite fighters and its getting almost sad watching him now. His chin has gone and his knees shot...will always be a legend to me.

Yeah, you can't really take anything away from a Sakuraba fight at this time. His physical prime was 10 years ago.

Mousasi is a mixed martial artist. Hes a very good boxer, with a base Judo/Sambo. Obviously by the way he fights he trains BJJ as well.

Mousasi is a mixed martial artist. Hes a very good boxer, with a base Judo/Sambo. Obviously by the way he fights he trains BJJ as well.

Why is it obvious?

He has trained extensivly with Fedors team, who doesn't have a BJJ coach, and why would the Dutch Red Devil club be a BJJ club?

In the US he has been with Gokor

Sambo/Judo can provide a more then adequate ground game for MMA

Back