Judo or Wrestling for self defence

collieryboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Which art is more effective in the clinch in a street situation bearing in mind obstructions such as people, tables etc. Also who would win in a grappling competition a judoka or a wrestler?

I dont know jack about wrestling, but I would assume its alot more strength/athleticism reliant than judo...So i think judo would be more suitable when facing someone bigger and stronger than you.

Judo for sure. Wrestling is a sport.

I do bjj and judo (didn't wrestle in HS) and I'd love to agree with you... but I feel wrestling is much better.

In judo your always relying on the Gi, where as wrestling techniques can be performed with any clothes. Also, wrestlers tend to be more competitive whereas Judokas are usually hobbyists.

If an average Judo guy from the states went against an average wrestler, I'd put my money on the wrestler via conditioning and toughness.

ullmanm Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshido

I do bjj and judo (didn't wrestle in HS) and I'd love to agree with you... but I feel wrestling is much better.

In judo your always relying on the Gi, where as wrestling techniques can be performed with any clothes. Also, wrestlers tend to be more competitive whereas Judokas are usually hobbyists.

If an average Judo guy from the states went against an average wrestler, I'd put my money on the wrestler via conditioning and toughness.

Agreed. Wrestlers can use all of their techniques regardless of what their opponent is wearing. Some judo players may not be able to do that. Wrestlers also have the menatal toughness and conditioning to help them out with whatever they do.

That being said, I would also get a knife or a gun just in case

what techniques of wrestling could you use in a street fight?

Well they might not be wrestling techniques but Im pretty sure you can figure out to punch the guy in the face and headbutt him once your on top.

Also once you get the hooks in its not to difficult to figure out an RNC.

Double leg. I mean you'll see non-wrestler go for pseudo-double legs all the time in street fights. You can also use the weight training... The better question is what technique would you use from Judo? Probably the only thing realistic would be an Osoto Gari.

Double leg. I mean you'll see non-wrestler go for pseudo-double legs all the time in street fights. You can also use the weight training... The better question is what technique would you use from Judo? Probably the only thing realistic would be an Osoto Gari.

weight training is a martial art technique? i think we all see wrestling work in the cage and think it would work in a self defense situation

And judo's not a sport? Have you seen the rule book on judo? I did a little judo and stopped because it was so restrictive. I also wrestled in HS and do BJJ.

I'd go wrestling over judo in majority of instances. A few of judo's high percentage throws are found in wrestling except nogi. Not to mention nothing beats a double leg for closing the distance.

In addition a average wrestler will have better athleticism than a average judoka just by the nature of the training differences.

weight training is a martial art technique? i think we all see wrestling work in the cage and think it would work in a self defense situation

Well when I was bouncing I used Wrestling all the time.

Our boss would always hire wrestlers because we could subdue people without throwing punches.

And if you don't think you can use wrestling in slef defense it shows you know jack about wrestling.

WTF r u talking about? How is wrestling's success in the cage not applicable to self defense? If that logic held true then how does judo's success in the Olympics translate to self defense?

i think we all see wrestling work in the cage and think it would work in a self defense situation

As opposed to the other guys the wrestlers beat up in a cage because their magical powers are only turned on in a self defense situation?

Both would be fine.

Wrestling there is no gi so if you are in a warm climate pretty much ALL your techniques need zero modification.

In colder areas you can do the Judo with no modification because people will have jackets and thicker shirts on.

But even in colder climates you can still use the same wrestling moves, because no jacket required.

I dont think you could go wrong in either case, but if you are studying for defense purpose make sure you go over some no gi tie ups in your Judo class.

The one thing I think wrestlers do better than anyone is scramble on the mat..

Here is a scramble drill for you guys to work on..

:)

YouTube - Barry Davis Wrestling Scramble Drill

YouTube - longest wrestling scramble ever

and of course takedowns, this is a tried and true HL clip. Plenty of clicnh work here.

YouTube - Chechen Wrestling Highlight

Also in comparison, notice how the wrestlers still wrestle after a big throw (usually) ..

Here are some Judo HL's just to be fair..BTW you wont come close to being this good in either art without years of training.

YouTube - Judo HighLight Reel

And yes they are both sports....

Both would be fine.

Wrestling there is no gi so if you are in a warm climate pretty much ALL your techniques need zero modification.

In colder areas you can do the Judo with no modification because people will have jackets and thicker shirts on.

But even in colder climates you can still use the same wrestling moves, because no jacket required.

I dont think you could go wrong in either case, but if you are studying for defense purpose make sure you go over some no gi tie ups in your Judo class.

The one thing I think wrestlers do better than anyone is scramble on the mat..

Here is a scramble drill for you guys to work on..

:)

YouTube - Barry Davis Wrestling Scramble Drill

YouTube - longest wrestling scramble ever

and of course takedowns, this is a tried and true HL clip. Plenty of clicnh work here.

YouTube - Chechen Wrestling Highlight

Also in comparison, notice how the wrestlers still wrestle after a big throw (usually) ..

Here are some Judo HL's just to be fair..BTW you wont come close to being this good in either art without years of training.

YouTube - Judo HighLight Reel

And yes they are both sports....

I could watch that Satiev Highlight over and over again.

I think that and MArk Schultz total violence are the 2 best wrestling highlights you can find and they are totally contrast in styles.

In my opinion Wrestling would be better, I've seen both work effectively on the street, But I just think overall that Wrestling is better, It will force you to become better conditioned, Is a good base if you wish to move onto MMA and Greco Roman style Supplexes and tosses can't be beaten, Like others have said if you have nothing to hold onto in a streetfight like the guy is just wearing a thin t-shirt or vest then there isnt really a problem with Wrestling training, Judo training it may be a little hinderance to you!

Not really the best question...it's not like if you spent years training Judo you'd be befuddled in self-defense. I'd take the guy with years of gi grappling over the guy with years of nothing anyday. All the other arguments are still valid, but if it's for self-defense, as long as you're training with aliveness, you'll be fine, so pick the one you like better.

Back