Judo or Wrestling for self defence

Wrestling and better in situation of urban violence.
Judo takedowns have a primary focus on the kimono user to knock down the opponent.

But Judo has good takedowns.

Like the ones below. All is takedowns can be made without a gi

tsuri-goshi.gif
morote-gari.gif

Which art is more effective in the clinch in a street situation bearing in mind obstructions such as people, tables etc. Also who would win in a grappling competition a judoka or a wrestler?

Depends on the practitioner. How proficient are they? It's not so much about the art. It's about the practitioner.

Another necro thread.

Anyways this be useful on the street. It is as gross motor as it gets, and does not need any setup.

Wrestling "but it won't work against knives, on the street" etc.

duerer2.jpg
Even in medieval times when everyone had at least a dagger the fighting style was wrestling oriented. In terms of controlling another human body it just works.
This is more likely a Aikido or Goshin Jutsu style that we see in modern days lol. Wrestling? shoot a double/single for the knife

Not really the best question...it's not like if you spent years training Judo you'd be befuddled in self-defense. I'd take the guy with years of gi grappling over the guy with years of nothing anyday. All the other arguments are still valid, but if it's for self-defense, as long as you're training with aliveness, you'll be fine, so pick the one you like better.
I definitely agree with that. Anyone who trains in an art with live sparring is going to have an edge over the normal Joe. Whether that edge will always be enough to save his life given all the weird sorts of situations that can arise in the weirdness of life, who knows.

Wrestling. Greco+Freestyle.

Wrestling has a lot of ruleset : greco freestyle, grappling, grappling combat, pankration, Beach Wrestling...but greco and freestyle/folkstyle is the base of fighting.

I would like to think that I have a decent amount of experience in both Judo and Wrestling. They are both good forms of self defense. I think it comes down to who has the better coach, and who trains at the better club. Most (not all) Judo clubs in the United States are more hobbyist orientated. I think there are a lot more good wrestling programs than there are Judo programs. However, I would imagine a Judoka from SJS Judo Club would be a force to reckon with on the street.

Go with the coach and club rather than the form of self defense.

Regarding knife defense, I truly believe there is no martial art that is proficient in knife defense. The reason why Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Boxing, ETC are so applicable on the street, is due to the thousands of hours of training against a resisting opponent. If you went live with knives someone would get seriously killed or maimed. A red flag should go up when someone claims to teach street knife defense.

You have guys like Lloyd Irvin, who was able to disarm an armed intruder in his house (when Brandon Vera was present, actually, during a training camp for a UFC fight) and actually, a local guy, Kent Nelson, who teaches self-defense in weapons situations, successfully disabled a guy who broke into his house with a knife. I don't know the exact details or if his specific knife-training stuff was what helped him, but I'm just saying, we do have those sorts of instances. I'm also not sure if Lloyd Irvin trained in some specific weapon-disarming styles, but he definitely did effectively disarm a gunman. Based on Brandon Vera's description of events, he sounded--at least to me--as if he'd had some sort of training related to that.

I certainly take your point though, that it's a situation that you can't satisfactorily replicate in training with a resisting opponent, as you can with striking and grappling. At the same time, I think it's pretty reasonable to think that a Tomiki aikido champion would fair better in a situation against a knife-wielding assailant than an average guy with no training in even simulated versions of knife encounters and likewise for people that similarly train for simulated versions of knife assaults.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back