Judo or Lose Weight First

I took judo for a few years and I was about 155 lbs at like 6'1" and was forced to wrestle the bigger guys because I was tall. I wrestled this one guy who was like 6'3" 300LBS. He threw me held on to my arm and fell on me. It hurt like a bitch and cracked the cartilage around my sternum. So please if you throw somebody don't be a dick and follow threw and land on them.

Yes definately start Judo now!!!! You have to excercize and loose weight at the same time. Also the good thing (expecially since you are a guy) if you excersize while you loose weight it will turn to bulky muscle. You will like your final form much better. Also excercize will make it so your skin won't droop after the weight is gone. Sweating is good for the skin.

Just take it easy...don't try and run a marathon the first day.

I'm 6'1 and used to weigh 330lbs. Now I'm at about 280, but I started taking judo when I was at 330. I agree with everyone else, start taking classes now, just be careful. You can get some strange injuries being a big guy and doing judo, you have to really make sure your technique is good...really good.

I think you are way too obese to do anything like Judo. That type of weight can cause serious damage when you fall, and can also injure the person doing the throws as well. Despite the name, Judo is anything but gentle when you first start. I would do something like Karate or TKD, or if you want to grapple, do BJJ. All will offer a great workout, without the stress of getting thrown repeatedly.

Went to my first Judo/JiuJitsu class this monday weighing in at 340....down 26 lbs from when I first made this post. My class is at the YMCA at Jefferson City, MO.

Its only once a week for about 2 and half to 3 hours so I'm gonna have to find something else to go with it workout wise but it was awesome. Talked a buddy into starting at the same time as me so we can both be newbs together.

Its a pretty laid back place and alot of my worries about getting thrown headlong into stuff that was gonna be unhealthy for someone as large as me turned out to be unfounded.

I was a 6'2" vagina, but by taking this first step I feel I have made great strides to reducing my vaginahood.

Well you can def use judo or bjj to lose weight, but i would also run first thing in the morning to get your metabolism going. I train judo mostly but i also do bjj and they are both excellent workouts, but judo is a lot tougher on your body. Also diet is key if your trying to lose weight, i know you've heard it a million times but its true...Also try some weightlifting inbetween, you can run and then do some weightlifting the days you dont have judo. The more calories you burn than you eat the more weight you lose, obviously.

Carlson said:
Went to my first Judo/JiuJitsu class this monday weighing in at 340....down 26 lbs from when I first made this post. My class is at the YMCA at Jefferson City, MO.

Its only once a week for about 2 and half to 3 hours so I'm gonna have to find something else to go with it workout wise but it was awesome. Talked a buddy into starting at the same time as me so we can both be newbs together.

Its a pretty laid back place and alot of my worries about getting thrown headlong into stuff that was gonna be unhealthy for someone as large as me turned out to be unfounded.

I was a 6'2" vagina, but by taking this first step I feel I have made great strides to reducing my vaginahood.

good to hear...you cant jump into judo, it takes a while so be patient and just absorb all the information you get.

Carlson said:
I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question, but I felt that this subforum would have the best chance at having the right mix of people experienced with losing weight, several who have experienced martial arts while being overweight, etc.

I am currently around 366 lbs, 6'2", and 25 years old. It's no ones fault but my own for spending years and years eating crap. Eating at the wrong time, eating to much, eating single meals of huge calorie amounts, drinking soda after soda, you name the bad eating habit I probably did it.

For the a little more than a month though, I've been mostly eating clean (except for Christmas and New Years, basically those weekends and the week in between were a bust). This forum has helped me figure out how to eat clean and space out my calories and alot more little tips from reading. I've lost about an inch around my waist already.

I work out on an elliptical machine about 3 times a week for about 35 minutes. I'm on week 2 of the program at this page (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml). Took some extra weeks to really make sure I was ready to progress. I think I was right to go to the next week since I was almost but not quite totally whipped by the end of the work out. I do 5 min warm up, 10 min cardio (target heart rate), interval part of program, finish off remaining part of 34 minute with cardio. I know this is the dieting forum, but I just wanted to demonstrate that I wasn't some sad bastard bound to his bed that has to have the wall cut out to wheel him out to the ambulance. I'm fat but I'm mobile.

I also work at FedEx loading trucks for 2-3 hrs 5 days a week for a little workout there.

Anyways, I've discovered that there are Judo classes offered in my town on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 hour each day.

My main question involves whether or not I should lose more weight before starting the classes or use the classes to help me lose more weight.

My gut reaction so far has been to get under 300 before I start for nothing else then just thinking falling at my current weight is gonna hurt.

About a year ago (circa 355 lbs) I tried some Aikido at my campus. I could easily do the knealing rolls, but had trouble with the standing rolls/breakfalls. Honestly the few times I did it it crunched my shoulder. I could have been doing it wrong, but the instructor wasn't very helpful, and I was hurting, so I didn't go back.

But I may have been doing it fairly well and just didn't have enough upper body strength compared to my weight to pull it off. Its really hard to tell at this point.

I think with the elliptical/interval training and swimming once school starts back up next week I can get down to 300 without Judo. I also need to do some body wieght stuff as well, its just really damn hard at this weight.

I think given my frame/size/etc. that at around 250 I'll be doing cart wheels and crushing skulls I'll be so bad ass. Not sure exactly what my optimal weight would be but I don't think its 200 lbs.

I really would just like to get some opinions and discussions from people who have trained overweight. Also I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to train with overweight people as well. I'm not so caught up in myself that I can't recognize most people don't want to get a hernia trying to throw me.

I'm thick-skinned so don't worry about holding back. Let me have it guys. What do you think.

It's about self-confidence. If you feel you are ready to take classes and know you won't get frustrated or disappointed then go for it.

But if you have any doubts, then set a goal, say lose 30lbs first. After you accomplish it you'll feel better and confident that you can accomplish the next goal: judo

It's good you are wanting to lose weight and I hope you can follow through with it. A nice program I used to help me lose weight was DietPower. It's a user-friendly nutrition software designed to help you balance your diet. It's also the only diet program that can guarantee success. You input your weight, set a goal weight by a certain date, and then each day input what you eat. It adjusts your calorie limit each day depending on your weight each morning and where you are in relation to your goal. I put in your weight on mine program and this is what it told me about your weight: Ideal weight for an average build 6'2" male is 167 pounds. For people of your height, "overweight" (BMI: 25.0-29.9) begins at 194 pounds, but your weight isn't likely to be unhealthy until you reach 210 pounds (BMI: 27). "Obesity" at your height begins at 233 pounds (BMI: 30). Your weight would put you at a BMI of 47 and classify you as extremely obese. Among the hazards of obesity are heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and stroke.

You shoudl talk to your doctor before you start any new diet/exercise program. If he gives the go ahead, I would do judo or whatever exercise you can comfortably do at your weight along with a nutrition program like dietpower offers. It's not always easy, but you can safely lose 2-3lbs a week. A couple years ago I went from 230 to 175 in about 6 months by using Dietpower.

If I were you, I'd see what the situation is for training partners.

If there are people around your size, then go for it. But if you're with guys under 250, who knows.

I think those guys Rhadi Ferguson and Juan Carlos Santana from intocombat.com sell this attachment kit where you can put a handle made out of gi material onto a plyometric cord. You can practice the different footwork movements of Judo throws on it while developing your grip. Kept up at a fast pace, it seems like it'd be a good sport-specific movement, and not a bad workout.

Probably the best idea is to check out the nearest Judo tournaments and see what the weight classes are like. (I know nothing about Judo so there's probably a unified rules thing) I really believe that competition is something all martial artists should enter. You don't have to be an MMA fighter, but I think the experience and knowledge you gain from competition, as well as motivation, make it something all martial artists should do.

If you're above the heaviest weight class, your goal should be to safely and effectively lower your weight (i.e. no drastic weight cutting) to the limits of the class you want to be in. Then you'll meet guys around your size, find out where they train, and maybe set up a training group for bigger guys.

Iceman5592 said:
If you're above the heaviest weight class, your goal should be to safely and effectively lower your weight (i.e. no drastic weight cutting) to the limits of the class you want to be in. Then you'll meet guys around your size, find out where they train, and maybe set up a training group for bigger guys.

I think this is good advice for intelligently picking my next goal. Right now I'm working for sub 300. One step at at time.

Actually I talked a buddy of mine whose just over 300 to start training with me.

I laughed my ass off this last monday when my 300 lb buddy was restling with another friend closer to 200 lbs who has been going to this class for about 9 months of so. 200 lber was on the back of 300 lber who was on his knees. 200 lber whipped backwards pull him off his knees and apply rear naked.

Next thing you hear is "WOOPH!!" of his chest getting squished and all he says is "Good God."

We offered to line up on either side of him and side kick him in the rips to pop everything back into place.

Good to hear everything is working out for u carlson. i can relate to your original post very well. i myself started training at well over 500 lbs. i am 6'5". after about 1 month of training boxing and a little BJJ i am approx. 475 right now. i believe the boxing is what has helped me the most. today is my first day adding a weight training regime to my weight loss program. i dont know anything about judo so i cant comment on that at all. BJJ training partners seem to b ok with training with someone my size, they get to try moves out to see which ones work on guys my size and weight. being happy with your training partners and your training partners being ok with your size is the true key to success i believe. i am fortunate enough to have a pro fighter as my training partner as well as my teacher. my goal is to become a pro fighter so that works for me. if your goal is just weight loss and to be healthier then any type of fighting disciplen gym will do. good luck and please continue to update us on your progress.

dude judo or any martial art with live training/sparring will help you drop weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back