Judo or Lose Weight First

Carlson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question, but I felt that this subforum would have the best chance at having the right mix of people experienced with losing weight, several who have experienced martial arts while being overweight, etc.

I am currently around 366 lbs, 6'2", and 25 years old. It's no ones fault but my own for spending years and years eating crap. Eating at the wrong time, eating to much, eating single meals of huge calorie amounts, drinking soda after soda, you name the bad eating habit I probably did it.

For the a little more than a month though, I've been mostly eating clean (except for Christmas and New Years, basically those weekends and the week in between were a bust). This forum has helped me figure out how to eat clean and space out my calories and alot more little tips from reading. I've lost about an inch around my waist already.

I work out on an elliptical machine about 3 times a week for about 35 minutes. I'm on week 2 of the program at this page (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml). Took some extra weeks to really make sure I was ready to progress. I think I was right to go to the next week since I was almost but not quite totally whipped by the end of the work out. I do 5 min warm up, 10 min cardio (target heart rate), interval part of program, finish off remaining part of 34 minute with cardio. I know this is the dieting forum, but I just wanted to demonstrate that I wasn't some sad bastard bound to his bed that has to have the wall cut out to wheel him out to the ambulance. I'm fat but I'm mobile.

I also work at FedEx loading trucks for 2-3 hrs 5 days a week for a little workout there.

Anyways, I've discovered that there are Judo classes offered in my town on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 hour each day.

My main question involves whether or not I should lose more weight before starting the classes or use the classes to help me lose more weight.

My gut reaction so far has been to get under 300 before I start for nothing else then just thinking falling at my current weight is gonna hurt.

About a year ago (circa 355 lbs) I tried some Aikido at my campus. I could easily do the knealing rolls, but had trouble with the standing rolls/breakfalls. Honestly the few times I did it it crunched my shoulder. I could have been doing it wrong, but the instructor wasn't very helpful, and I was hurting, so I didn't go back.

But I may have been doing it fairly well and just didn't have enough upper body strength compared to my weight to pull it off. Its really hard to tell at this point.

I think with the elliptical/interval training and swimming once school starts back up next week I can get down to 300 without Judo. I also need to do some body wieght stuff as well, its just really damn hard at this weight.

I think given my frame/size/etc. that at around 250 I'll be doing cart wheels and crushing skulls I'll be so bad ass. Not sure exactly what my optimal weight would be but I don't think its 200 lbs.

I really would just like to get some opinions and discussions from people who have trained overweight. Also I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to train with overweight people as well. I'm not so caught up in myself that I can't recognize most people don't want to get a hernia trying to throw me.

I'm thick-skinned so don't worry about holding back. Let me have it guys. What do you think.

This is actually a tougher call than I thought it would be, but I say go for it. Try out a less intense class first, like one at your local college. You might be eligible. If your weight is getting in the way of having fun, go hit the treadmills some more. Then when you lose weight, you don't have to go back to the same place.

Other than that, I can't think of any thing. The bottom line is most guys like to train martial arts/sports because it's a much funner way of staying in shape than running on the treadmills. If you feel your dedication isn't waning, then you don't have a big problem, here. The thing is, when I think about running on an elliptical 3x a week for the rest of my life to maintain the health I want to maintain, I want to kill myself.

Thanks for the reply Madmick.

It's not so bad right now, and I definitely am not opposed to paying my dues for not taking care of myself for so long. But like you I'd like to see a day sometime in the furture where I can do cardio a couple times a week, conditioning type exercies a couple times a week, and spend most of my time doing Judo, BJJ, and/or some type of striking art.

I live/goto school in the middle of nowhere however so I was suprised when I found out there was even Judo available.

I'm fairly comfortable, not getting wore out, doing the elliptical stuff. According to the machine I'm burning around 700-750 cals each time. It was about 600-650 before I started the interval stuff, when I was just doing 30-35 mins keeping my heart rate at 156.

I have no doubt the diet info on this forum has had a big part in helping me maintain the energy/recovery to keep up with the workouts.

I kinda went fruit crazy for a couple weeks but I'm making myself eat lots of green vegetables now and its not all that bad. Like everything else I'm taking it step by step. Made some nice homemade spagetti sauce with green peppers, spinaich, carrots, and onions. I also freak out my friends by putting spiniach and carrots in my fruit smoothies I have after workouts and pulling double duty taking off the edge when I feel the urge for a mountain dew.

I lost 7 lbs the first week and a half I ate clean, no real denying myself quantity wise, infact had trouble eating enough to reach my target calories for losing a couple lbs a week. I think thats one of the benefits of eating clean good wholesome food. Its harder to eat enough to get fat on then all the crap I've been shoveling down my face previously.

I agree, that it's a harder question then I originally thought. Usually you get this question from guys like myself ( 240lb, and taking BJJ). Normally the hands down answer it TRAIN!!! Using your weight is just a crutch to NOT train. But with your weight, it might be a little problem. I have no experience with Judo, so not sure how strenuous those classes are compared to BJJ. I would say, maybe visit the shcool, and talk to the instructor. Maybe he could give you some advice. Also, I would recommend visiting a doctor, just to get an overall picture of your health (cholesterol, diabetes, etc.)

btw, its hard being a fatty and taking a MMA class, but if you can, it's something u just need to do.

I think in broad terms, Judo and BJJ are pretty closely based, with Judo weighted more heavily towards throws compared to BJJ more so towards grappling. They both involve takedowns, but just my gut feeling is that Judo will be more punishing given my weight during that time that I don't have the techniques down.

If I had a place to train BJJ around here I don't think I'd be nearly as hesitant, in fact I think I'd be going right now. I just get visions of getting thrown across the room when I think of Judo.

Visiting the school is definitely a good idea. It sucks a little having to talk face to face about stuff like this sometimes, but most people are usually pretty cool. I just have to man up and go one night.

I still need to save up a little money still for a good gi, and maybe spring for some contacts so I don't have to wear my glasses or go blind, so I think I'll gauge my weight loss over the next month and get a better feel on whether I wanna wait until I'm under 300.

My knees took a beating in Judo much moreso than in BJJ. In terms of staying free of knee problems, I would go with BJJ.

Carlson said:
I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question, but I felt that this subforum would have the best chance at having the right mix of people experienced with losing weight, several who have experienced martial arts while being overweight, etc.

I am currently around 366 lbs, 6'2", and 25 years old. It's no ones fault but my own for spending years and years eating crap. Eating at the wrong time, eating to much, eating single meals of huge calorie amounts, drinking soda after soda, you name the bad eating habit I probably did it.

For the a little more than a month though, I've been mostly eating clean (except for Christmas and New Years, basically those weekends and the week in between were a bust). This forum has helped me figure out how to eat clean and space out my calories and alot more little tips from reading. I've lost about an inch around my waist already.

I work out on an elliptical machine about 3 times a week for about 35 minutes. I'm on week 2 of the program at this page (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml). Took some extra weeks to really make sure I was ready to progress. I think I was right to go to the next week since I was almost but not quite totally whipped by the end of the work out. I do 5 min warm up, 10 min cardio (target heart rate), interval part of program, finish off remaining part of 34 minute with cardio. I know this is the dieting forum, but I just wanted to demonstrate that I wasn't some sad bastard bound to his bed that has to have the wall cut out to wheel him out to the ambulance. I'm fat but I'm mobile.

I also work at FedEx loading trucks for 2-3 hrs 5 days a week for a little workout there.

Anyways, I've discovered that there are Judo classes offered in my town on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 hour each day.

My main question involves whether or not I should lose more weight before starting the classes or use the classes to help me lose more weight.

My gut reaction so far has been to get under 300 before I start for nothing else then just thinking falling at my current weight is gonna hurt.

About a year ago (circa 355 lbs) I tried some Aikido at my campus. I could easily do the knealing rolls, but had trouble with the standing rolls/breakfalls. Honestly the few times I did it it crunched my shoulder. I could have been doing it wrong, but the instructor wasn't very helpful, and I was hurting, so I didn't go back.

But I may have been doing it fairly well and just didn't have enough upper body strength compared to my weight to pull it off. Its really hard to tell at this point.

I think with the elliptical/interval training and swimming once school starts back up next week I can get down to 300 without Judo. I also need to do some body wieght stuff as well, its just really damn hard at this weight.

I think given my frame/size/etc. that at around 250 I'll be doing cart wheels and crushing skulls I'll be so bad ass. Not sure exactly what my optimal weight would be but I don't think its 200 lbs.

I really would just like to get some opinions and discussions from people who have trained overweight. Also I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to train with overweight people as well. I'm not so caught up in myself that I can't recognize most people don't want to get a hernia trying to throw me.

I'm thick-skinned so don't worry about holding back. Let me have it guys. What do you think.
First of all...it is wonderful that you are taking charge of this problem!! I salute you!!!! Being that heavy is a nightmare I know. Can't touch your toes and can't reach around to properly wipe your ass. I lost 100 lbs myself due to a thyroid condition.

This is what you need to do....

Look up online... "fat burning foods" . You will see a whole list of fruits, vegetibles, chicken, salmon, ect. Eat all of this shit you want all day. DO NOT DRINK ANOTHER SODA (even diet) AS LONG AS YOU LIVE AGAIN!!!. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Substituing water for Soda will probably take 80 lbs off you all by itself. DO NOT use artificial sweeteners!!! They say no calories, but they slow down your metabolism and make you crave carborhydrates. Do not skip meals....eats lots of vegetables!!! The south beach diet is the best diet around now and if you want a book, but all that is in it are the fat burning foods you can find online.

Do not use splenda....splenda is lying, it is not made from sugar and you can expect a lawsuit over this eventually. If you must use a sweetener use honey or a tiny bit is sugar. Do not eat fast food, processed, or fried food for there is no nutrition in any of this and you mise well be smoking crack. Eat only fresh foods and watch the amount of carbs you intake. Do not do adkins...it is dangerous and not sustainable.

Excercize slowly. Take walks. Yes go to the class twice a week. Stand in the back and move as much as you can, but do not push yourself until you get under 300. The instructor there if he has a brain will help you take it at an easy pace.

Also be aware it is going to take a good year to loose all that weight. Consentrate on changing your lifestyle with good nutrition and then before you know it the year will be done and you will be healthy, feel great, and be in shape!!!

I promise you can do it if you stick to the fat burning foods as your diet. Salmon and grapefruit, for example, you can eat all day and they will burn the weight off you because it takes more energy to digest those foods than calories they provide. If you eat only the fat burning food you will find that you can eat a lot more than you were eating when you got fat and still loose lots of weight. Fat people don't overeat... most of them undereat. They get fat because of the kinds of food they eat, not the quantity.

I bulk during winter and I cut down during summer. I bulk IN ORDER to get stronger for Judo, which I only do during the summer, and I cut down weight BY MEANS of judo. Start your Judo now, it'll help you get under 300 quicker, it has always helped me shed off weight.

Go ahead and pick it up. Learning the techniques can help you lose the weight. Just get moving.

Kudos to you Carlson. Keep us posted as to your progress, both with the weight loss and the potential MA class.

Carlson, don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to get into a judo vs. BJJ issue. To each their own. I was just saying I didn't know how physically demanding a judo class is. I wouldn start out with a cheap GI. See if you can and will stick with it. Nothing will be worse then having a $200 gi wasting away in the closet. Also, you should be able to take a free class or two to check it out.

I say go ahead and give judo a shot.. it is going to be tough on the body.. Especially the knees and shoulders. But what have you got to lose?

Carefull of your weight and strength though. Alot of big guys come in and want to win so badly they hurt smaller weaker guys.

if your un-easy about it.. Set a small goal to reach maybe a nother 15 lbs to lose and then youll go try judo.. Keep creating small goals that are reachable.. before you know it you will be where you want and feel comfortable about doing judo, or any other martial art for that fact.

IMHO, you better worry about losing weight to save your heart and health rather than to be able to do better in JUDO. Go on a Subway diet or something like that Jared guy, either way, lose wieght and make it your priority, do judo or whatever it takes to motivate you. @ 6'2, at best you should try to be under 250.

I am 5'7" and used to weight 215lb .In a few short months of training im at 170lb I know it doesnt seem that much but it was hard as hell.I would suggest eating 5 small meals a day and work out as much as you can .Dont wait to go to class start as so as you can.If your in a good school they will help you and try to push you to your goal.
for me the hardest thing was pushing my self but try to develop upper and lowwer body strength now .You can use your weight to gain alot of mucsle mass while you still are heavy .Try pushups squats ....ect. remember muscle weights more than fat so if in the first month you test the scale and your weight isnt going down dont be think about it your developing muscle faster than you can get rid of fat.Stay with it its hard but it will pay off.

The people who always say, lemme lose some weight first then I'll join, usually never join because they only have one goal. I'd go into Judo right now.

I'd echo what the other guys have said. I started Karate and BJJ a little over a year ago, and I was 6'3", 30, and about 330 lbs. I kept doing some workout programs to drop weight, but never had the self-discipline to stay with them long term.

The only absence I've had from my karate and BJJ training since I started was when I got my arm messed up from an arm bar, and just recently when I had deviated septum surgery. Having the other people there, plus the sensei and other students, it's really been the best workout ever. I've dropped 30-40 lbs during that time, and I'm about to start watching my diet more closely again with the eventual goal of getting down to 250.

So, all that being said, go for it man. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you getting thrown won't hurt, but if you have an instructor that's sympathetic to your situation (especially if they're a bigger guy), they'll definitely work with you and not against you. Also, if you can learn to concentrate your weight on guys during the ground game, you'll be a force to be feared :)

My last bit of advice is this... if something is hurting you, tell someone. You may feel less manly saying something, but it's better to be safe and training than hurt and not training. Not everyone may be able to throw you and control your mass, so if the school has a padded mat (like for gymnastics), don't hesitate to ask to be thrown onto that instead of the ground, at least until you learn to break falls and/or drop some size.

I can PM you my experiences as a bigger guy if you ever need to talk...

nhbjpj said:
I am 5'7" and used to weight 215lb .In a few short months of training im at 170lb I know it doesnt seem that much but it was hard as hell...

Uh, 45 pounds in "a short few months" is a huge accomplishment.

Back