Judo noob question

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just attended my first judo class 2 days ago. a question which naturally arose was:

In a lot of the throws, it involves you grabbing one of his gi sleeve at the elbow. Take uchi mata for example. if u are throwing him from your right to your front/left, your left hand ideally holds his right at around the elbow.

How now, just as a question, will this work in a street fight? his both hands will just continuously try to hit your head and be moving very quickly, as what i see in most video street fights. Catching his elbow seems only slightly easier than catching a punch.

You will learn more grips than the basic lapel-sleeve grip.

That, and you can adapt a lot of the throws to no-gi.

The key to applying any grappling art in a fight is closing the distance & getting into a standing clinch. You're right, it's gonna be impossible to get a sleeve grip if the guy is throwing haymakers.

Once clinched, the guy can't hit you & you should be able to get any necessary grip to attempt judo throws. Assuming they are wearing a jacket or something grabbable.

As you advance you will be able to throw with only one arm without gripping... all you need is set-up and to know where to put your arm.
In a streefight however I wouldnt look for those technical throws... any trip will do and is safer usually.

You'll usually have established grips before you start a throw.

When i'm trying to do throws without the gi, a sleeve grip generally equals an overhook, wrist grab or grabbing the tricep just above the elbow.

Look at some MMA fights to see how guys close the distance and enter the clinch. They don't just jump straight in and take the guy down immediately.

his arms aren't gonna be flying and trying to punch you in a street fight if you get up really close to him....close the distance grab the elbow...you can do it pretty easy from the standard muay thai clinch...we were forced to do Judo for a few weeks (like a workshop or eight) for work and they taught us that

thecas said:
How now, just as a question, will this work in a street fight? his both hands will just continuously try to hit your head and be moving very quickly, as what i see in most video street fights. Catching his elbow seems only slightly easier than catching a punch.

You block and clinch, then adjust your grip from there and throw them.

Learn how to cup, overhook, underhook and many judo throws will work even without a gi

Back