Judo neckcranks...

Half Boston Crab

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Found this on Judoinfo.com, never seen this in Judo before.
Kubi Kansetsu Waza

(Not sure if the link will work directly. If not, enter the site, click "Techniques of Judo", "Drawings of Grappling Techniques" and then "Kubiwaza".)

Judo apparently used to have a lot of fun stuff (leglocks apparently) but they got taken out to make it more of a competition orientated art.

Interesting point, are'nt those the sketches which appear in Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet kune do"

Half Boston Crab said:
Found this on Judoinfo.com, never seen this in Judo before.
Kubi Kansetsu Waza

(Not sure if the link will work directly. If not, enter the site, click "Techniques of Judo", "Drawings of Grappling Techniques" and then "Kubiwaza".)

Yeah, baby... Judo without the rules is sexy.

I know neck cranks are illegal in judo competition, but you can get away with some of them if they look like a choke. The guillotine while stretching the body always works.

It's kinda funny that most of those neck crank pics are moves I see in BJJ class every day...

What's funny to me is how none of these are really even that good.

Let it be known, these are not "neck cranks" as much as they are ways to break someone's neck outright.

KUBI-HISHIGI is probably the most painful. I've even seen Fedor use it once.

Judo used to be basically BJJ, before the heirachy of position was established.

Aesopian said:
What's funny to me is how none of these are really even that good.

thats what i was thinking, except for a few those are some meathead neck cranks.

Considering how much strength it takes to just tap people with these in practice, let alone how much exhertion is would take to actaully break their neck outright, you'd be better off just choking them out and driving your car over their neck while they are unconscious.

the elongation one seems pretty nasty, actually.

Kawlinz:
the elongation one seems pretty nasty, actually.
Yeah, ask this guy :D
21701788_neck.jpg

The good thing with neck cranks is that they are good to combine with chokes, since you defend the choke by pushing your chin down, bending your neck forwards.

It is amazing to see the amount of techniques that are part of the core art of Judo, the rules were changed to be competition friendly but still pretty fascinating stuff.

I reccomend Syd Hoare's "A-Z of Judo" for anyone who has an interest in this sort of stuff. It details all the techniques ever acribed to JUdo including the techniques which were removed from competition. It includes descriptions and photos of neck cranks, spine locks, ankle/leg locks, gi chokes using the belt, wrist locks, all the good stuff that BJJ took over.

also...

According to Contest Judo, by Roy Inman (1987), the Dai Nippon Butokukai, under the direction of Jigoro Kano, banned locks of the fingers, toes, wrists and ankles in jujutsu/judo contests in 1899. In 1916, ashi garami (knee entanglement, twisting knee lock), and dojime (trunk/kidney squeeze, performed from a body scissors) were banned by the Kodokan. Apparently, there were a number of serious injuries which resulted from the use of these techniques. Joint lock attacks in Judo contests were limited to the elbow only in 1925. Over the years other rules have been created to insure the safety of contestants. Until the 1970's, the rules awarded ippon for lifting an opponent who is lying on his back to a height of your shoulders. This rule was later dropped to avoid the possibility of dropping a contestant from such a height. Another safety rule adopted was the banning of kani basami (flying scissors) after Yasuhiro Yamashita received a broken ankle from the technique endangering his entry in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games (where he won the gold medal).

A man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."
Jigoro Kano
From the bottom of the page. Words of wisdom

Soulfly said:
Let it be known, these are not "neck cranks" as much as they are ways to break someone's neck outright.

KUBI-HISHIGI is probably the most painful. I've even seen Fedor use it once.

hey soulfly, your signature must be:"prefiero morir en pie (without the S) que...."

Weichafe

Resident A-hole said:
I know neck cranks are illegal in judo competition, but you can get away with some of them if they look like a choke. The guillotine while stretching the body always works.

It's kinda funny that most of those neck crank pics are moves I see in BJJ class every day...
Judo rules currently does'nt allow guillotines, its viewed as a neck crank, they even dont strictly allow RNC if the hand is turned so that the palm is against the back of their head as this is also viewed as a neck crank.

Back