Judo guys = mega grip strength?

Moving Shadow

You are entering my dark place
@purple
Reaction score
There is an older Judo black belt (4th dan?) where i train BJJ, i've never rolled with him but he looks pretty strong. anyways, we were outside the gym about to bring in more mats for a roger gracie seminar a few weeks ago when the van turned up with a combination padlock on the back.

my instructor didn't know the combo and we were all standing out in the cold scratching our heads when the judo guy grabs the lock and just bends it / snaps it off. it wasn't like it was a massive lock or anything
zm_delta_45.jpg

but it'd take some serious grip strength to do what he did.

so my question is do Judo guys generally have crazy grip strength from all the collar and sleeve grabbing?

judo does emphasise a lot of grip strength because of the nature of the sport. It does'nt necessarily mean though that all experienced judoka have amazing grip strength, it will be above average but those who have insane lower arm strength will generally do exercises to supplement their grip, because its so important to their art.

They do have very strong grips. The top class judo guys have insane grips

Yoshida is known for having really strong grips. Probably the reason Wandy wasn

all the whitebelts that come thru my school seems to have little to no grip strength starting out.

within 2 months they have an acceptable amount of grip strength.

my grip is probly quite a bit above average. I can really dent the big cambell soup cans if I give it hell.

Grip strength is a big part of judo. Any decent judoka will have a very powerful grip. It sounds like this guy is far beyond that, he probably tears phone books in his spare time :D .

I train both BJJ & judo, & recently went to judo class after a 2 week BJJ hiatus. My grip got tired faster than usual & my forearms were sore the next day. You just use your grip so much more in stand-up grappling than mat work. My grip work was lacking in just 2 weeks.

Absolutely, any goos judoka will have nasty grip strength.

Probably he is training at a place where the mats have to be stashed after every training... do 40 mats 5 times a week like 10 years long and your grip will be insane.

Get the book JUDO GRIPS by Niel Adams. Besides showing you grip techniques, he mentions cases where judokas have ripped other peoples gi's due to their powerful grip strenght. Judo gis are nearly impossible to rip by hand. Imagine what hey could do to pot-smoking :eek::eek::eek:s who ask them for their wallet! They could rip their faces open, and make them look like your avatar picutre.

my forearm is about the size of my upper arm...

although I never work on the bi an triceps in the gym. but in any case, my forearms are rock hard and with a shirt on that's all girls will see anyway.

To rip a combo lock off like that is just super-human.

IMP said:
Probably he is training at a place where the mats have to be stashed after every training... do 40 mats 5 times a week like 10 years long and your grip will be insane.

Ha ha ha, I think you have a point... We used to fold up our mats and "pinch" them, one on each side, to walk them to where they belonged. I definitely recall the muscles in my forearms looking more "ropey" after weeks of that, and the ball of my palm (the base of my thumb) feeling swollen and hard.

I always worried about my grib strength, and additionally how thin my wrists/forearms were compared to how quickly I could bulk up my lats/pecs... I stopped worrying about aesthetic workout results a few years ago, but never stopped doing forearm curls and grippers, and keep a variety of racket balls, tennis balls, and stress balls in my desk at work that I will do reps of several hundred squeezes with, out of force of habbit.

It's well known at my club that before restarting BJJ, I went to a purely competition based Judo club (my first club was a combo Judo/BJJ one, so I never understood the difference between the arts), and always thought it was bizarre that when I used guard, certain sweeps, passes, or subs, I'd hear about "that Jiu-Jitsu stuff", and was dubbed "the JJ guy" in the Judo school. Now that I'm in BJJ full time again, I've been rolling with guys, and had someone try to break my grip, or feel me pulling them, or I'll "gift wrap" someone, and I start hearing the "judo grip" and "judo guy" stuff.

The styles have some interesting stereotypes, but they definitely have a basis. You hear that Purple belts have insane grip, too, and for the most part that seems to be true. The one Sambo guy I rolled with felt like he had steel cables in his forearms. Any of the grappling styles will increase yoru grip strength if you play the game like that.

I talk too much.

QingTian said:
my forearm is about the size of my upper arm...

although I never work on the bi an triceps in the gym. but in any case, my forearms are rock hard and with a shirt on that's all girls will see anyway.
not if you got 18 inch arms

I once seen a judo black belt tear a cat's head off with his bare hands

"The fight in judo is won in the hand fight".

My judo instructor once told me that. You see the top guys and they all have great handfighting techniques.

If you can't get a good grip, you can't throw the person!

Yeah - because of my grip strength I have to be careful when I .....

.... uuuh, nevermind.

forearms are much more important than biceps in sports in general...

Yea I can see Judo guys having really good strength. The one instructor I know is a little guy (55 kilos ?) but he is a lot stronger than you would think.

Higher up Aikido people also seem to have good grip strength from my limited experience.

Back