judo bluebelt starting bjj tonight!

Nickynoneck

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What to expect ?? any pointers ?? not gonna show up and say stupid stuff like "well we do this in judo " crap its disrespectful , iam just wondering of general stuff i should know ?

Def gonna keep my mouth shut and learn , just should i use my judo if we do anystand up??
any judoka have any stories of starting bjj for the first time ?

UPDATE : great class did some great turnovers did some nice traingle set ups that didnt really work for me cuz i have stocky stubby legs so i had compremise and to an arm bar .

did are fav throw which was up my alley , and then worked on getting out of positons and stuff , i tapped alot which was ok with me i was happy that I passed some blue belts guards and lasted about 30 secs with a brown belt haha .

tell em u've done judo so they know ur not a complete beginner.

tell em u've done judo so they know ur not a complete beginner.

I already talked to them they know iam looking foward to just learning i want to be a sponge and just saok up everything .

Two stupid things really.

1. Dont roll with blues and above unless they ask you. Some of them get pissy about that kind of thing. Dont ask why. Wait until you know them a bit.

2. A no brainer, but stay relaxed. Respect will come quicker if your opponents dont feel they are rolling with a meat head. Shouldnt be a problem for you, but ya never no.

the transition from BJJ to Judo is much easier than Judo to BJJ so you should be just fine. welcome to the world of butt scooting.:icon_lol:

1.) don't be a spazz

2.) ask questions

3.) use your judo if you do standup

4.) tap often.

Which club did you pick?

Titans its the easiest place for me classes are at 630 so i have no prob going from my work to there in less then 10 mins .

And its also 8 mins fro my home , so it was the best option , Fit plus was my first pic just cuz there facilty is wicked but titans is just so close .

1.) don't be a spazz

2.) ask questions

3.) use your judo if you do standup

4.) tap often.

1) Have no clue why people would be a spazz

2) def gonna do that

3) Thats cool but should i be worried of guys with limited break fall experience ??

4) I do at my judo club anyway we got some bjj guys and just crazy newaza players at my club .

Okay, but remember, this means we're like enemies and stuff.

j/k. Have fun and tap quickly.

Okay, but remember, this means we're like enemies and stuff.

j/k. Have fun and tap quickly.

Ahh yeah i was talking to you on here before , i forgot some people i have been talking to that did bjj in halifax , do you just do bjj or do you go anywhere else , i heard there were some fit plus guys going to dal judo , you by chance one of them ??

No, but I know Eric because I used to go to Bushido-Kai.

I've been trying to figure out who it is from FitPlus who goes to Dal Judo.

I should really check Dal Judo out because I just moved up into that area.

most important:

if somebody ask you about a throw, dont be a dick and make a secret out of it....

Hell yeah, i've know some guys

No, but I know Eric because I used to go to Bushido-Kai.

I've been trying to figure out who it is from FitPlus who goes to Dal Judo.

I should really check Dal Judo out because I just moved up into that area.

ahh eric you hear about his knee? guy tore like 2 ligaments at judo provincials gonna be out for 6 to 8 months , as for dal judo all you gotta do is go there and tell them your part of another judo club or you visiting and theyw ill let you in for free i did that all last summer , i am gonna try to get out there in the summer , they do judo at 730 to 930 on tues - thursdays and they do it on sunday from 2 to 330 i think .

most important:

if somebody ask you about a throw, dont be a dick and make a secret out of it....

Hell yeah, i've know some guys

Def gonna show them if they want me too nothing is better then showing people stuff you know , Just hope they help me .

Wear a white belt.

Lies everyone knows your first day of class you should show up wearing a redbelt, secondly always fake punching and mock stikes to show us BJJers that the world changes when you punch them. Then make sure you always spazz out no one likes a nice relaxed person it makes things boring..

but actually yeah everyone hit the nail on the head, i also suggest you only try and work what is taught, or work mainly from your back to get more used to it.

Yeah my suggestion would be to wear a white belt, but that has already been covered...

everything else that has been said is also great advice, but i sounds as if you are going into this with a great attitude so you should do great!

Regarding "using your judo"...i would say go for it! I mean do not throw people as hard as you can (no different than do not go for an armbar as hard as you can), and do not use takedowns/throws against inexperienced people that may hurt them (anything hitting the knee at a funny angle, or that uses a grip that takes away your opts ability to breakfall)....

But as long as you are careful and treating your partner with respect i would say go for it!

have a good time man, and good training to you!

let us know how it goes!

1) Have no clue why people would be a spazz

Spazzing just means you go all out while rolling. A lot of beginners tend to do this (and of course some higher belts) in order to show everyone that they're not a wimp and try impressing the instructor.

spazzing is a big no no, because it can lead to accidental head butts, knee to the face or nose, groin shots, accidental injuries etc/

Back