Judo better than BJJ for self defense, sort of

I hate these kinds of topics...

Street fights rarely happen in a way that is fair for i.e. Getting suckered punch in a bar because you spilled beer on someone

Street fights may turn into gang brawls for i.e. his friends and your friends ganging jumping in

If you get in a sensitive area, dont be a hero and live to fight another day. Money, pride, jewls can all be replaced... You can not be.

( drops mike, and walks off the stage)

BJJ is the best self defense I could EVER take!!!

Because after a 2 hour hard rolling class...I'm so tired that I'd never dream of leaving my couch and going anywhere with beer and stupid rednecks who are "ready for a street fight".

Dumb rednecks street fight. The rest of us are more civil.

Yes, black people never street fight. They would never dream of kicking your ass for being "in the wrong place" and if they do it's strictly "1 on 1". lol

White liberals don't street fight because they are too weak but that is nothing to brag about.

Also, hispanics gang members never street fight, only those gosh darn red necks.

I'm mean gee whiz those red necks are downright terrifying!

I have trained BJJ for about 8 years and have only dabbled in judo.

I have been thinking about some of the ideas of BJJ and how they don't make much sense.

It seems to me that the most important skills to have would be to take the person down (which in its own right can incapacitate a person), incapacitate them on the ground (joint lock or choke) or pin them very quickly.

Street fights aren't without time limits and it seems the skills developed in judo are more suited to it than that of a lot of BJJ. How much time do we spend on things like guard passing which is essentially a useless skill in a street fight.

BJJ seems more suited to one on one NHB matches where it originally proved itself. but those conditions are very different from a street fight.

Anyway, the only reason this bothers me is when I hear a Gracie talk about how points, time limits, strategies have taken it away from its self defense routes. Were as I believe it never was that effective for self defense and that judo would be a far better alternative if that was your motivation to train.

Using this logic, why not just learn wrestling? Judo is too dependent on grips with someone wearing a jacket. Double leg someone to the ground and run away.
BJJ has the guard as a defensive position. If someone takes you down, does Judo help you? Alot of this sort of street fight application goes back to TMA or boxing and wrestling before BJJ was introduced by the UFC. Don't worry about something that won't come about. If it does, hopefully, your BJJ or Judo training will be of use.

Remember the adage that you should train the way you want to fight.

Kenpo is best in a street fight. Jeff speakman in the perfect weapon

A bouncer who used to be into body building started at the gym a couple of years back. Hes lost 50lb and while the current version of him would destroy the bodybuilding version, hes gone from no trouble on the doors to loads of drunks throwing down from the reduction in size. Bodybuilding >> bjj for self defence.

Back