Joslin's 2005 Canadian Open

I am, it'll be my first tourney, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm going in the intermediate no-gi division, 85 kgs.
I've only been doing BJJ for a few months, but I've been wrestling for 10 years, so hopefully it will balance out.
Are you going?

Yes I'm going, (hopefully, if I'm healthy), it'll be my first tourney too. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, only been doing no-gi jiu-jitsu for a couple months, but wrestling my whole life.

I'm still debating going but if I do I'll be representing Rebellion JJ out of Toronto.. Anyone here from Toronto?

Rai_Polo said:
I'm still debating going but if I do I'll be representing Rebellion JJ out of Toronto.. Anyone here from Toronto?

Nope, I'm coming up from Pittsburgh.

I'll be there - the 205-220 no gi intermediete division. Been doing jj for close to 2 years now.

Rai_Polo said:

Hey man, I'm in Toronto... New here too, I am thinking about going also. I have some wrestling experience and started taking Judo, I kind of want to enter the no-gi division, don't really care if I get my butt handed to me, just wondering what exactly the grappling competition is all about... Might go as a spectator instead, looks fun anyways.

im not going but my training partner is going in the 185-205 gi and nogi advanced division...hes comming down from thunder bay and should be pretty tough....

185-205 gi and no gi Intemediate.

Wrestling for 10 years? shouldnt you be in the advanced division rory44?

native_grappler said:
185-205 gi and no gi Intemediate.

Wrestling for 10 years? shouldnt you be in the advanced division rory44?

maybe I'll see you there :wink: I've only been doing submisions since the start of the summer, so I was sort of wondering the same thing.
I'll talk to the tourney organizers and see what they say. I'm not interested in winning a medal in a division I don't belong in.

where abouts do you train?

ill be ther repping rebellion in beginers no-gi either 170 or 155 division but the last month ive stopped hitting the weights and have been running alot so i think i can make 155

I will be there competing in the 140 - 155 pound Gi and No-Gi divisions.

Been doing Judo for 2 years, with No-Gi BJJ for about 4 months.

Gonna have to drive for about 6 hours to get there though.

rory_44 said:
maybe I'll see you there :wink: I've only been doing submisions since the start of the summer, so I was sort of wondering the same thing.
I'll talk to the tourney organizers and see what they say. I'm not interested in winning a medal in a division I don't belong in.

where abouts do you train?

My guess is that if you are nat level in wrestling and have got a good idea on subs then you won't be satisfied fighting intermediate. Intermediate is -2 or 3 years exp, I think.

Warrior Martial Arts is gonna take the comp.! hope to see sum of you ppl there

KillaKix said:

You guys have any good judoka training with you?

would it be rediculous of me to try to do both the intermediate and advanced?

its just that it is my first tournament, and I'm mostly looking for live mat time, so i don't want to go two and out in advanced and get subbed in the first 30 seconds of both matches.

rory_44 said:
its just that it is my first tournament, and I'm mostly looking for live mat time, so i don't want to go two and out in advanced and get subbed in the first 30 seconds of both matches.

Nope. Good idea actually. Last year a guy fought 6 times for 1st in 185 advanced and earlier fought a few in the gi category. Quite a few do the gi and no-gi categories.

I have seen guys go from one division(wt) fight right over to another division fight (no rest). And if you are doing well just forfeit your intermediates.

If it is your 1st tourny then either is fine. But you may wish that you fought advanced.

I also just wanna see a nat gr wrestler in the advanced:)

If all goes as planned I'll be there. It'll be my first touney as well. I planon competing in the 156-169.5 lb. division, biginner, gi, at 165lbs. Regardless of the outcome I figure it'll be a good opportunity so see some quality grappling since i'm new to the sport. Best of luck to everyone competing.

KillaKix said:

I migh be joining the Ranks of Warrior this summer coming up, right now though im just taking RGDA jiu jitsu till i decide how seriouse i want to get in to it.

Im definatly not competing though with 2 month experince in Gi jiu jitsu ill pass but i will certianly be their cheering on some of my RGDA peeps and some of my Warrior Peeps.

Back