Joslin's 2005 Canadian Open

dildoo~baggins said:
I got 1st place in nogi 155-170 advanced and 3rd in gi...

Congrats! how many matches did you go through?

morganfreeman said:
Where are you training in toronto? If you are at minoro, you might do alright in a bjj competition. I've never been to a judo club that spent more time training ne waza, and alot of the old russian guys are sambo bb's who are looking for any excuse they can come up with to show you everything you could ever wanted to know about leg locks. If you are training judo in toronto, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not going there and at least checking it out. It might not be the best club for strict competition (although they do send guys to the nationals every year) but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and I've never been to a judo club that was more receptive to the idea of cross training.

Hey there. I'm out in the west end, Finch & Martin Grove. Where is Minoro? Right now I have Judo Club at U of T and I'm starting at Toronto BJJ, well today, lol at the place off Steeles.

pinprophet said:
Hey there. I'm out in the west end, Finch & Martin Grove. Where is Minoro? Right now I have Judo Club at U of T and I'm starting at Toronto BJJ, well today, lol at the place off Steeles.

I trained there about five years ago, so I don't know if they've changed locations or anything, but they were located on queen street a couple blocks west of dufferin. That would be quite the commute from where you're living, but if you are at all interested in gi grappling, it is definately worth checking out even if you have no interest in judo. There were at least ten guys there every night when I used to go who had trained in Russia for a long time before coming over, and they get all worked up if you mention sambo or comment on their gripping. There seems to be alot more quality grappling clubs that have sprung up over the last couple of years, so it is just one of many places you would do well to check out if you are training in toronto.

2 brothers from a club I sometimes train at both got third in No gi begginer. The one faught 140 and the other faught 155. I was going to go this year 155 gi and no gi begginer, but I pulled out to to a back injury. I didn't even get a chance to go watch. I went last year but my card was sent to the wrong weight division in my gi fight so I didn't get a gi fight in. I got a refund and a free t-shirt. It kinda sucked because I am a lot better with the gi. I got triangled in my no gi fight by a Ronin jiu-jitsu guy from Ottawa. I also remember lots of bad reffing.

Warrior Martial Arts Centre did alright...i think 2x1st, 2x2nd, 3rd,4th

dildoo~baggins

I was going to be in your division but I had school, how was it?

native_grappler said:
financial problems here...

Hey native_grappler, I was wondering if there is a way I can come in and roll with you Ronins guys sometimes without having a membership at the club. You know, like on a Saturday or something.

I want to join Ronins but I can't leave my Judo, and it would cost too much to do both.

Q mystic said:
You fight Dave?
I don't remember any of the guys names. What did he look like??? Where from?? I fought a tough wrestler first match, and then a guy with long hair ( decent roll) and then another guy that was alround good but exhuasted because of a war he had to make it to the finals....

monday said:
I don't remember any of the guys names. What did he look like??? Where from?? I fought a tough wrestler first match, and then a guy with long hair ( decent roll) and then another guy that was alround good but exhuasted because of a war he had to make it to the finals....

I think he got 2nd. Judo guy. He got 1st in the gi division.

Edit. Nope, sorry, he got 1st in gi and not in the placings for no-gi. He might not have fought it.

vitor3000 said:
team schilling/behring owned

Please. Team Schilling had ZERO medaLS in the Advanced No-Gi divisions. Therefore they didnt own own; wouldnt you say?

vitor3000 said:
I'm juss supporting my team.

That's cool. Team Schilling has tough competitors and a good coach.

The playing field was pretty level and the tournament was very competitive which is what made it so good.

Q mystic said:
I think he got 2nd. Judo guy. He got 1st in the gi division.

Edit. Nope, sorry, he got 1st in gi and not in the placings for no-gi. He might not have fought it.
I faught him in the Gi, first round. I lost!!! He's a killer!
EDIT. Sorry I just cheked the guy who I fought in the Gi first round was Vadim Dudarev. He is Judo guy!!!

Back