Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Durinho Added To UFC Fight Night March 21st in Brazil

Durinho is a hell of a prospect. I expect a very competitive fight here.

1313397701_big_fish_vs_small_fish.gif

Finally Gilbert is getting a shot with one of the big boys.

This will be an exciting fight and could go either way. I hope Burns can rise to the occasion.

Finally Gilbert is getting a shot with one of the big boys.

This will be an exciting fight and could go either way. I hope Burns can rise to the occasion.

Honestly would've liked to see him get someone in the 13-15 range or right outside the top 15 before moving onto this caliber of competition, but he's a really good prospect. He might surprise some people.

Let's see what excuses thompson nut huggers will make this time if he loses another decision.

Durinho has an incredible ground game, don't rule him out at all. Think Thomson has a pretty big advantage standing though.

Durinho has an incredible ground game, don't rule him out at all. Think Thomson has a pretty big advantage standing though.

I've only ever seen HLs of the guy. How's his wrestling? Does he struggle getting it to the mat?

Surprised to see Thomson take a fight with an unknown prospect (who actually has a lot of potential).

Really? You're surprised? He's 1-2 in his current stint in the UFC, 1-3 in his last 4 fights. What are his options? His last fight vs Green was a joke and should be ruled a NC due to both fighters refusing to actually fight. No way he wants to see himself with 3 losses in a row... makes complete sense to try and put something in the W column by taking on an unknown.

Could stand with never seeing Thomson fight again

I've only ever seen HLs of the guy. How's his wrestling? Does he struggle getting it to the mat?

Burns wrestling stands out in the BJJ scene. That is one thing he is known for and that which has helped him win a couple world titles. However, it seems it hasn't fully translated to his MMA game quite yet. It is hard to say whether he will be tenacious and persistent with takedown attempts, or if he will struggle and become complacent and then lose a stand up fight.

That loss against Bobby Green really sucks in hindsight... Such a crappy fight, too.

I know, they did like no damage to each other and Bobby is so fucking annoying. Barboza was kicking his ass and all he could was is act like Barboza's kicks were nothing. Yeah Barboza's kicks are nothing:rolleyes:

I'm a big Thomson fan, but he's on the downhill slide. Wouldn't surprise me if he dropped the decision or something, but he SHOULD win handily given his skill and experience. This is a guy who KO'd Nate Diaz and took Benson Henderson to the absolute limit. He should be fighting top 5s but he's too inconsistent. That loss against Bobby Green really sucks in hindsight... Such a crappy fight, too.

The absolute limit... man, good thing you aren't exaggerating excessively or anything.

Burns wrestling stands out in the BJJ scene. That is one thing he is known for and that which has helped him win a couple world titles. However, it seems it hasn't fully translated to his MMA game quite yet. It is hard to say whether he will be tenacious and persistent with takedown attempts, or if he will struggle and become complacent and then lose a stand up fight.

Ah, I see. Cool, thanks for the info.

Go Thomson, I thought he was going to retire, but it's good to see him come back, I hope he can win.

This is interesting. I like it. Nice to know the UFC will give us fresh match ups like this

Durinho is good but this is the wrong fight to make for both of them.

Haven't seen much other than impressive scrambles in the fights I've seen. He trains out of Boca Raton, so he's got a decent base to prepare for getting Josh down.

Basically.

Durinho is good but this is the wrong fight to make for both of them.

Yeah, this was my initial thought as well. Durinho only has 9 professional fights, and only 2 of those have been in the UFC. He needed atleast another 2 wins before moving on into top 10 competition. Durinho is another guy, along with Paul Felder that the UFC must see major potential in, they're both getting big step ups in their next fights.

Back