Josh Burkman's abysmal UFC record...How is he not cut?

ZzH6Vq7.gif

Some fighters like Fitch and Shields are good enough fighters to always lock down the #1 or #2 contender spots in a division. They're very effective gatekeepers. Too effective, really. They keep exciting young contenders with a single hole in their game from getting a shot at the title without ever being a serious threat at taking the belt for themselves.

They've also been around long enough to get paid the kind of salary that's relatively high, which means they cost the promotion a lot of money without bringing in much in the way of extra revenue.

Only knowledgeable MMA fans appreciate them, but you need more than real MMA fans to market a fight.

Burkman on the other hand is an exciting and experienced fighter who can plug a hole in the middle of your card. He won't cost you as much. He'll always make weight and he'll never cause trouble. He also won't prevent talented young fighters from climbing up the rankings because he's not as good as Fitch or Shields at blanketing them. But he'll root out the real pretenders.

I'm not going to argue against the claim that Fitch and Shields are boring in their fighting styles. They are boring, usually in defeat and victory.

But--and this is entirely unrelated to the bore factor--they are definitely better fighters than Burkman. I think the UFC should have guys like that around to help clearly separate the very best form the rest of the pack. I mean c'mon, you beat Josh Burkman? Big deal, totally unimpressive. Now beating Fitch or Shields, that is an achievement.

I still find it hilarious that Connie never had to fight Guida. (For what it's worth, I think Connie easily wins that fight today, but when he was new in the UFC? I think Guida for sure would have taken the decision).

Conor is on the rise,Guida could never earn the hallowed invitation to a red panties night,because even if he wins,it could be some goofy hopping around like against maynard and not engaging,and no one wants to see that.

Usually. His fight against Dong Hyun Kim is exactly what I imagine a fixed fight would look like. He had DHK totally ready to go, totally let him off the hook and then gave up and didn't fight as he had up until that point.

I was pretty confused by the decisions he made in that fight also. Dude rocks the hell out of DHK standing, and then immediately initiates a clinch, where DHK has been dominating all fight long, and ends up getting taken down/ridden out on the ground. Pride can be a funny thing that way, though.

Usually. His fight against Dong Hyun Kim is exactly what I imagine a fixed fight would look like. He had DHK totally ready to go, totally let him off the hook and then gave up and didn't fight as he had up until that point.
ken shamrocks last 2 fights are what fixes look like if the fighter is in on it.

this is also a possible fix if you look at bensons foot tap. im not sayin this is for sure a fix because benson seems respectable as fuck, but if its not he tryed his hardest to make it seem so

also weird how pettis seems to try not to finish him it . throws super controled strikes. could just be my perception of it though

Last edited:
You forget an important part, contracts. People aren't just forever a UFC fighter, they have a contract. Fitch and Shields had contracts expire, they weren't cut. Another organization gave them more money so they left. Burkman is probably pretty cheap from a money perspective.

Bonnar was a bum and they kept him around. Diego should have a way worse record than he does. It's not all about numbers.

He beat Fitch, who DANA HATES

He fought a roided Lombard with the Flu

He's probably not that expensive for the quality of fighting he brings

He can fight in 2 divisions against mid to top competition

Well Burkman doesn't have great stamina to fight for all 3 rounds, he gassed like each time he landed a big strike lol. Then he decided to grapple/try to out wrestle Kim, who is a much better wrestler than him... Burkman gonna Burkman

ken shamrocks last 2 fights are what fixes look like if the fighter is in on it.

this is also a possible fix if you look at bensons foot tap. im not sayin this is for sure a fix because benson seems respectable as fuck, but if its not he tryed his hardest to make it seem so

also weird how pettis seems to try not to finish him it . throws super controled strikes. could just be my perception of it though

I remember people ranting on youtube that the Showtime Kick was fake citing things like Benson's foot on the cage and head nod to Anthony before moving so Pettis can land it.

Oh and Rockhold nodding his head before Vitor spin kicked him into a living death.

Those were good times.

Yeah, I don't actually think the fight was fixed, it's just exactly what I imagine a fixed fight would look like. DHK was obviously ready to get KO'd and Burkman suddenly took his foot off the gas and gave up. Like something you would see in a movie and the fixers would be pissed because it was so obvious. Heh.

Probably because he stepped up to fight Lombard on short notice. I mean, who does that? For his UFC return no less, against one of the scariest welterweights at the time. Dudes got balls

I remember people ranting on youtube that the Showtime Kick was fake citing things like Benson's foot on the cage and head nod to Anthony before moving so Pettis can land it.

Oh and Rockhold nodding his head before Vitor spin kicked him into a living death.

Those were good times.
the vitor kick to me wasnt a fix at all. i think vitor threw a punch or 2 at luke, then luke gave him the nod. I feel it was one of those "try it again bitch" type nods. they way luke moves looks like hes tryin to counter a punch with his left check hook, but vitor didnt punch....

LR3.gif

hard to see but he does the nod here.
tumblr_mvxl36bFm41ry1rm7o1_400.gif

i never realized belfort throws a feint right as he spins. makes more sense now

All of his fights suck. I have no clue why he's still on the roster, but someone like Ben Askren isn't (Dana issues aside)

Hes fun and fights people juiced to the gills

Because UFC isn't a "sport", it's a popularity contest.

Back