Josh Burkman's abysmal UFC record...How is he not cut?

Crushasaurus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It's still funny to me that this is guy is fighting in the UFC with a record like he's got and Fitch/Shields were cut despite fantastic career records.

Funny too because a lot of people seemed to think the UFC had it right because Burkman beat Fitch in WSOF. They gotta be changing their tune by now. Cut this guy so he can get the rubber match in the WSOF. (Btw I think Fitch would easily beat Burkman)

Maybe they just liked the guy and wanted to give him a job. I wouldnt be too concerned with why a guy is or isnt cut. Who cares? stop the hate. Cheik kongo probably stayed on because of how scary he looks. its a living.

He brings it. Why hate?

Fitch/Shields are equivalent to sleeping pills for the casual fan. They would 100% put off the casuals.

Last edited:
Uh, because he's The People's Warrior! He fights for YOU! Shame on you for speaking such blasphemy.

Good fight pass and fs1 prelim filler fighter

He brings it. Why hate?

Fitch/Shields are equivalent to sleeping pills for the casual fan. They would 100% put of the casuals.

Usually. His fight against Dong Hyun Kim is exactly what I imagine a fixed fight would look like. He had DHK totally ready to go, totally let him off the hook and then gave up and didn't fight as he had up until that point.

I don't see the humor in this

He'll probably be cut soon because of losing, but Fitch/Shields were cut for their boring style and fighting like that was never Burkman's style. His fights with Cote, Lombard and Felder were all fun and he's got some good defense to make up for being older.

I always enjoy Burkman fights. He's not an easy fight.

because he's the People's Champ....

is that still his self anointed title?

He should've beat Ottow but let that one slide by, I would imagine Dana likes him and is gonna give him one more chance. Seems like a cool guy, hope he can put together a win next time.

I mean... he was cut

He'll probably be cut soon because of losing, but Fitch/Shields were cut for their boring style and fighting like that was never Burkman's style. His fights with Cote, Lombard and Felder were all fun and he's got some good defense to make up for being older.

I'm not going to argue against the claim that Fitch and Shields are boring in their fighting styles. They are boring, usually in defeat and victory.

But--and this is entirely unrelated to the bore factor--they are definitely better fighters than Burkman. I think the UFC should have guys like that around to help clearly separate the very best form the rest of the pack. I mean c'mon, you beat Josh Burkman? Big deal, totally unimpressive. Now beating Fitch or Shields, that is an achievement.

I still find it hilarious that Connie never had to fight Guida. (For what it's worth, I think Connie easily wins that fight today, but when he was new in the UFC? I think Guida for sure would have taken the decision).

It's still funny to me that this is guy is fighting in the UFC with a record like he's got and Fitch/Shields were cut despite fantastic career records.

Funny too because a lot of people seemed to think the UFC had it right because Burkman beat Fitch in WSOF. They gotta be changing their tune by now. Cut this guy so he can get the rubber match in the WSOF. (Btw I think Fitch would easily beat Burkman)

It's not like he's the worst guy on the roster or the worst guy to watch fight. I wouldn't worry about it too much I'm sure he won't be around much longer and you'll get your wish.

For some reason I don't enjoy any of his fights not even the so called entertaining ones

He was cut and made his way back and is just filling out his contract if he keeps losing they will cut him again.

There's a bunch of fighters who come and go

I'm not going to argue against the claim that Fitch and Shields are boring in their fighting styles. They are boring, usually in defeat and victory.

But--and this is entirely unrelated to the bore factor--they are definitely better fighters than Burkman. I think the UFC should have guys like that around to help clearly separate the very best form the rest of the pack. I mean c'mon, you beat Josh Burkman? Big deal, totally unimpressive. Now beating Fitch or Shields, that is an achievement.

I still find it hilarious that Connie never had to fight Guida. (For what it's worth, I think Connie easily wins that fight today, but when he was new in the UFC? I think Guida for sure would have taken the decision).

I agree in general, but it's not needed at WW, which is prolly the 2nd deepest div. So you keep the more exciting veterans around for fun fights and stepping stones for prospects.

Burkman isn't a legend, but went from one of the best prospects of 06 to having a journeyman type career, so he doesn't demand a high salary or special treatment that legends should get.

Fitch and Shields are good enough to kill prospect momentum and also can shut down top fighters with a style that's based on negating rather than creating, and because they're that good they have a better chance than Burkman to get a nice contract.

What, imo, happens with Guida/Conor is Guida possibly blanketing him and 2 years later they rematch and Conor kills him. So what's the point really when you're trying to build a prospect up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back