Jose Aldos fundamentals

So soccer helps you with stuff like this? There is always benefits but it isn't hugely beneficial. Jon has great kicks and he doesn't play soccer.

How-to-do-a-spinning-back-kick-400x266.jpg

No soccer doesn't help you with a back kick but it certainly helped Aldo with his famous low leg kick. And by the way Jon does not have great kicks. In this pic his form is not good. Jon is definitely improving with his kicks but far from a great kick. Aldo, Pettis, Barboza are "great" kickers not Jon.

So are we pretty much in agreement that soccer is a great base for mma if kicks are a big part of your game?

Generally speaking I don't think soccer is a great base for MMA. I mean most athletics help but if you want a higher probability than a more combat sport will help. Aldo is a talented individual and he has applied his Soccer background to MMA but that's a rare case.

No soccer doesn't help you with a back kick but it certainly helped Aldo with his famous low leg kick. And by the way Jon does not have great kicks. In this pic his form is not good. Jon is definitely improving with his kicks but far from a great kick. Aldo, Pettis, Barboza are "great" kickers not Jon.

Yet Jon's kicks and elbows are his biggest striking arsenal. It's not nesscarily having perfect alignment but the timing and variety of kicks is what counts which is what Jon does well and what makes him a good kicker.
I just think that playing soccer gives you a tendency to kick more so you get better at it. And it gives a bit dexterity to your legs so you might pick up a kicking technique a bit quicker than someone who doesnt play soccer. But soccer really isn't a base to MMA and effect of it isn't that great.

I've noticed that football players tend to pick up footwork faster than non athletes but thats about it. The same can be said for dancers and tennis players.

Stop making stuff up? LOL I'm not how about I demonstrate in person.

I agree those are movement drills that are common in soccer and in other sports. He applies it very well to his MMA game. Um yeah I played soccer and yes his low kick is very similar to a soccer kick. If you don't believe I can show you in sparring class at AKA in San Jose :p Not every soccer player can apply it to MMA just like not every wrestler can apply his skills in MMA but certainly Aldo has.

"Aldo's uses his footwork stepping back multiple times and circling to avoid the takedown and getting up"

Some weird agility ladder drill of some sort doesnt count as a "soccer move or movement of any kind"
You can feint like how you would do in American Football to get more space away from a defender to open a pass but it I wouldn't consider it a "soccer movement" because its applicable to most sports.

I don't live close to the AKA gym :mad:
You snap your leg yes, main difference is that it comes at a different angle so its somewhat like a soccer kick I agree.

"Aldo's uses his footwork stepping back multiple times and circling to avoid the takedown and getting up"

Some weird agility ladder drill of some sort doesnt count as a "soccer move or movement of any kind"
You can feint like how you would do in American Football to get more space away from a defender to open a pass but it I wouldn't consider it a "soccer movement" because its applicable to most sports.

I don't live close to the AKA gym :mad:
You snap your leg yes, main difference is that it comes at a different angle so its somewhat like a soccer kick I agree.

Yah I called it a soccer movement because that is where I learned it from but I agree other sports have it as well so it's not exclusive to soccer.

I've noticed that football players tend to pick up footwork faster than non athletes but thats about it. The same can be said for dancers and tennis players.
Yep I agree. Bellator lightweight Will brooks has good footwork too and he says in an interview it's from being an athlete playing football.

Back