Jose Aldos fundamentals

Fraz

PEOPLE VULTURES CROWDING AT MY DOOR
@Gold
Reaction score
Obviously Aldo is one of MMAs greats by now and he mixes all facets of MMA very well but i keep hearing that his past as a soccer player is one of the main factors in how successful he is, how important is Aldos soccer base to his overall game and to his claim to p4p best?

Obviously Aldo is one of MMAs greats by now and he mixes all facets of MMA very well but i keep hearing that his past as a soccer player is one of the main factors in how successful he is, how important is Aldos soccer base to his overall game and to his claim to p4p best?

Soccer gives you good conditioning, it takes a lot out of you and gives you a certain competitiveness. Skill wise not so much, it doesn't translate to MMA that much. Soccer is a finesse type of sport(passing and dribbling), it doesn't really teach you how to kick hard and the kicking form in soccer is different. People may say it makes a dramatic difference to kicking, but those people probably never played soccer legitimately.

Completely different kind of kicking

Thanks Joe Rogan. This thread is all your fault.

Completely different kind of kicking

yep

"soccer kicks" in MMA are called that for a reason, but these aren't allowed in the current ruleset, so no advantage at all.

Leg dexterity.

I used to train a travel soccer team in strength and conditioning. At our gym, they also taught kickboxing. All the soccer players excelled quickly at kicking. No doubt in my mind it helped, at least in the beginning.

I think Soccer (or football) did really good to his footwork (and maybe kicking, even if different)

Hmmm let's see. Let me think of a few mma fighters who are known for their kicks.
Jose Aldo
CroCop
Pat Barry

All of them have a very strong background in soccer/football.

Do you think he regressed as an athlete after he failed as a soccer player?

gbjJ8iV.gif

And now i want to post some gifs of Roberto Carlos, his kicks were a beauty to see.

I remember Aldo saying he was a terrible soccer player, that he'd hit the other players more often than he'd hit the ball

Soccer doesnt teach you jiu jitsu, boxing, wrestling, muay thai.
The kicking form is different as well. It might give a bit more dexterity in your legs but thats about it.

Would help with footwork.

I have been playing with his left hook to right leg kick combo damn hard to get the footwork right.

Back