Jose aldo should......

I don't see how he's a big draw and Jose Aldo isn't though. Jose is much more exciting, can't be speaking English, because gsp sounds like a French robot, and they both come from countries where mma is very popular...

brazilians are poor and canadians arent

It doesn't matter if you don't see how he's a big draw and Aldo isn't. Look at the numbers for the PPVs GSP headlined vs. the ones Aldo has headlined. GSP's fights almost always did the biggest numbers of the year. Aldo's fights do about 250-280,000 buys and that's usually with a second title fight on the bill.

I understand that, but one thing I don't get is how. I know gsp sold big, but one thing no one can explain is how he did so well. A lot if people complained of his boring fight style but yet he still sold big.

If he wants more money, he should move up to LW where there's bigger names to fight. Happens in boxing all the time. Boxers tend to fight at "money weight". If there's a bigger money fight at a weight they can fight at that's not necessarily their weight, they'll make it happen. Aldo needs to do the same. I guarantee he'd have more leverage if he could move up and take Pettis' belt. That is unless he doesn't think he can.

I understand that, but one thing I don't get is how. I know gsp sold big, but one thing no one can explain is how he did so well. A lot if people complained of his boring fight style but yet he still sold big.

He was with the UFC for longer than Aldo has been, he was known as a finisher in his younger days, he had big rivalries with Matt Hughes and BJ Penn who themselves were very popular, Canadians buy more pay-per-views than Brazilians... there are a ton of reasons. He also did a lot of media for his fights despite the fact he didn't speak perfect English. Aldo doesn't speak English, fights in a weight class that a lot of casual fans consider "too small," he's only finished two fights since coming over to the UFC from WEC and he doesn't do any media. For a foreign fighter who doesn't speak English to be popular he needs to have a style that stands out and wows the fans, i.e. Anderson Silva being MMA's Muhammad Ali with his theatrics in the cage and his spectacular finishes.

I don't see how he's a big draw and Jose Aldo isn't though. Jose is much more exciting, can't be speaking English, because gsp sounds like a French robot, and they both come from countries where mma is very popular...

he is better looking, women wanted to do him. Hell I knew gay guys who bought his PPV's...

plus the way he beat people people enjoyed watching him he seemed invincible kind of like a floyd.

you can all talk shit about a fighter looks don't matter but being better looking helps people in every job, and thats a fact.

Do what Melendez did.
Talk with Bellator n get Dana scared.
If a #2 or 3 fighter in a weightclass does it im sure a top 5 p4p fighter could do it as well.

Aldo can suck it. Him and Pettis just need to fight already.

Do what Melendez did.
Talk with Bellator n get Dana scared.
If a #2 or 3 fighter in a weightclass does it im sure a top 5 p4p fighter could do it as well.

but to be honest, the UFC kind of bought strikeforce for Melendez and the HW's...

the UFC bought WEC for Benson Henderson and Urijah Faber...

Aldo was good but he still wasn't super popular.

I his reign as FW boss.. He has only truly fought two names that most who are not die-hard mma fans, or practitioners, would recognize. Those are Faber (one fight was WEC and the other, in the very beginning of his current UFC reign) and Edgar (which should have garnered a rematch.. Hence creating a history between the two, which creates drama for the masses, etc.. Marketing/advertisement, gain exposure, and allow the non-Brazilian public to follow a man that they can't understand verbally). Yes, he has fought great fighters, one in which he will have fought twice very soon.. Mendes. But those other names are just not household names nor do those athletes have memorable personalities on camera that the general public soaks up and becomes fascinated with. If Aldo wants to get the payday up, he needs to go to 155.. Fight Cerrone, Diaz, Benson, Pettis and Melendez, def do a TUF NATIONS vs England or the USA, and a incentive clause on his contract in regards to performance, may help him. But if he plans to stay at 145, he needs to fight Mendes, fight Edgar again, get Pettis to come down to 150 catchweight fight, get Dillashaw to come up to 140 catchweight fight, or put the friendship aside and fight BJ.

As stated by most everyone else here, learn English.

I don't know how he doesn't sell, Brazil is a huge influence in the mma scene. And it can't be because if his fight style. (Gsp sold) I just don't understand...

I just asked the same thing in another thread. Here's is the answer I got. Sounds reasonable.

I've never seen someone disclosing PPV numbers there. Maybe it's because the UFC events are usually sold as a monthly package.

But no doubt Aldo is huge there -- there's a reason he is called "the people's champ".
The ratings for Aldo x KZ: 12 points (39% share). That's 3x the ratings of the second place in the same time slot. That's also a record for an MMA fight in Brazil -- tied with Silva x Weidman I.

Considering that Brazil is the UFC's second biggest market and Jose is Brazil's last champion standing... I would suck it up to him in if I were in Dana's shoes.

source:
http://maquinadoesporte.uol.com.br/...e-aldo-iguala-recorde-de-audiencia_24775.html

How's the holding out strategy working out for Nate Diaz??

GSP was super skilled and super likeable. He worked very hard to be a positive role model and put effort into being the face of the UFC.

Aldo fights in unpopular weight class and comes across as stoic or even grumpy. He doesn't have the charisma of other top fighters.

If he fought at 155 it would help a lot. Lightweight is one of the best weightclasses IMO.

A lot of Americans do complain.....Europeans didn't, Canadians didn't, even Brazilians didn't! Americans are spoiled by Fake Rasslers & don't understand that MMA is real it's exactly what U see - its MIXED Martial Arts....to include all Martial Arts...Too many KungFu/Karate/Choreographed fake finishes in American movies....MMA is real it's NOT scripted. Americans have a problem with what is real & what is theatrics. The Americans lack the maturity of the International Fans! Yeah hate me, but it's the fukin' truth!

GSP was super skilled and super likeable. He worked very hard to be a positive role model and put effort into being the face of the UFC.

Aldo fights in unpopular weight class and comes across as stoic or even grumpy. He doesn't have the charisma of other top fighters.

If he fought at 155 it would help a lot. Lightweight is one of the best weightclasses IMO.

Couldn't disagree more. About everything.
I believe most people would say that Aldo is more skilled and far more entertaining than GSP. He has a Cinderella-like story and, if you actually understand what he says, he comes off as pretty likable guy, despite being a no-nonsense, confident/cocky person. Very similar to Pettis.
He is a real star in his native country and I believe that JDS is the only fighter as beloved as him. Anderson, Vitor and Wand (since his first TUF) are a bit controversial.

As far as charisma goes.. I wouldn't rank him below Cain, Jones, Edgar, Weidman, Cruz...

As the guy above, I do believe that his problem is the American fan base. When you're willing to pay to watch the shallow and decrepit HW/LHW division but crap all over the FW/LW... nothing can be done.

Promote to the soccer crowds around the world that kicking is fundamental. :icon_chee

I his reign as FW boss.. He has only truly fought two names that most who are not die-hard mma fans, or practitioners, would recognize. Those are Faber (one fight was WEC and the other, in the very beginning of his current UFC reign) and Edgar (which should have garnered a rematch.. Hence creating a history between the two, which creates drama for the masses, etc.. Marketing/advertisement, gain exposure, and allow the non-Brazilian public to follow a man that they can't understand verbally). Yes, he has fought great fighters, one in which he will have fought twice very soon.. Mendes. But those other names are just not household names nor do those athletes have memorable personalities on camera that the general public soaks up and becomes fascinated with. If Aldo wants to get the payday up, he needs to go to 155.. Fight Cerrone, Diaz, Benson, Pettis and Melendez, def do a TUF NATIONS vs England or the USA, and a incentive clause on his contract in regards to performance, may help him. But if he plans to stay at 145, he needs to fight Mendes, fight Edgar again, get Pettis to come down to 150 catchweight fight, get Dillashaw to come up to 140 catchweight fight, or put the friendship aside and fight BJ.

one.. don't post walls of text...

two.. Faber never fought aldo in the ufc.. idk what you are on...

three.. everything else I generally agree with...

A lot of Americans do complain.....Europeans didn't, Canadians didn't, even Brazilians didn't! Americans are spoiled by Fake Rasslers & don't understand that MMA is real it's exactly what U see - its MIXED Martial Arts....to include all Martial Arts...Too many KungFu/Karate/Choreographed fake finishes in American movies....MMA is real it's NOT scripted. Americans have a problem with what is real & what is theatrics. The Americans lack the maturity of the International Fans! Yeah hate me, but it's the fukin' truth!

lol what? people constantly make fun of pro wrestling... I also don't think anyone thinks movies are real... I am very confused by your post.

Couldn't disagree more. About everything.
I believe most people would say that Aldo is more skilled and far more entertaining than GSP. He has a Cinderella-like story and, if you actually understand what he says, he comes off as pretty likable guy, despite being a no-nonsense, confident/cocky person. Very similar to Pettis.
He is a real star in his native country and I believe that JDS is the only fighter as beloved as him. Anderson, Vitor and Wand (since his first TUF) are a bit controversial.

As far as charisma goes.. I wouldn't rank him below Cain, Jones, Edgar, Weidman, Cruz...

As the guy above, I do believe that his problem is the American fan base. When you're willing to pay to watch the shallow and decrepit HW/LHW division but crap all over the FW/LW... nothing can be done.

good thing everyone else doesn't share your opinion. GSP at his peak was probably even a better striker then aldo.. Definitely a much better Mixed Martial Artist... GSP made strikers look aweful and wrestlers look worse...

if you are talking about today? Aldo might be almost as good as a fighter as GSP is today. I doubt it though, I still think if they were the same weight GSP takes him down and beats him up as well as beating him to the punch.

Back