Jose Aldo is special, here's why:

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's discuss what makes Aldo special compared to other guys in the division, because I really think he's something different.

First, I've been trying to think of a fighter to compare him to, and honestly the closest I can think of is '03-'06 Crocop (as well as K-1 Crocop). Both Aldo and prime Crocop have this on/off switch for aggression:
- ultra explosive, sustained offense.
- defense is backing away: doesn't engage when they don't want to, doesn't get lured into exchanges when they don't want to (I've NEVER seen either Crocop or Aldo exchange. They just back off and prepare to counterpunch)

Basically Aldo has the ability to sense momentum, and this I think is what makes him special. When the momentum is in his favor, he presses forward with all his might. When the momentum is against his favor, he disengages and doesn't try his luck.

Also specifically on Aldo's attack, he also uses all the weapons. He kicks and knees and punches both to the head and body, and throws both straight punches and uppercuts. He doesn't seem to throw that many hooks though, I guess he likes to keep it compact. He doesn't seem to prefer any one type of attack either - he just attacks whatever is open.

When you have the kind of gift for 'sensing', and combine it with
- superior mobility/agility (including balance for TD defense)
- superior speed
- superior power

you really get something special.

The only technical deficiency I see from him sometimes is he explodes into risky moves like leading with huuuuge power rear uppercuts. It's bad enough to lead with a rear uppercut but to wind up like Aldo does? Of course I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but I do think someone with the technical boxing level of Mark Hominick has a chance to exploit Aldo's occasional lapses in sound technique.

Let's discuss what makes Aldo special compared to other guys in the division, because I really think he's something different.

First, I've been trying to think of a fighter to compare him to, and honestly the closest I can think of is '03-'06 Crocop (as well as K-1 Crocop). Both Aldo and prime Crocop have this on/off switch for aggression:
- ultra explosive, sustained offense.
- defense is backing away: doesn't engage when they don't want to, doesn't get lured into exchanges when they don't want to (I've NEVER seen either Crocop or Aldo exchange. They just back off and prepare to counterpunch)

Basically Aldo has the ability to sense momentum, and this I think is what makes him special. When the momentum is in his favor, he presses forward with all his might. When the momentum is against his favor, he disengages and doesn't try his luck.

Also specifically on Aldo's attack, he also uses all the weapons. He kicks and knees and punches both to the head and body, and throws both straight punches and uppercuts. He doesn't seem to throw that many hooks though, I guess he likes to keep it compact. He doesn't seem to prefer any one type of attack either - he just attacks whatever is open.

When you have the kind of gift for 'sensing', and combine it with
- superior mobility/agility (including balance for TD defense)
- superior speed
- superior power

you really get something special.

The only technical deficiency I see from him sometimes is he explodes into risky moves like leading with huuuuge power rear uppercuts. It's bad enough to lead with a rear uppercut but to wind up like Aldo does? Of course I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but I do think someone with the technical boxing level of Mark Hominick has a chance to exploit Aldo's occasional lapses in sound technique.

He better get REAL good @ checking leg kicks... tough to have technical boxing with no lead leg.

good insight on the backing away/no exchange defense..ima have to implement that

Jose Aldo is fucking incredible.
I've never seen someone use Muay Thai to near perfection in MMA like he does.

Shogun and Anderson are great, but Aldo literally destroys every opponent he faces time and time again.

Aldo is a beast. Those low kicks started welting on Manny after only 2 kicks and after his first uppercut Manny started to wilt.
The power that he has is simply amazing.
That kid is such an inspiration to watch for people training in Muay Thai. :icon_twis

Jose Aldo is fucking incredible.
I've never seen someone use Muay Thai to near perfection in MMA like he does.

Shogun and Anderson are great, but Aldo literally destroys every opponent he faces time and time again.

Aldo is a beast. Those low kicks started welting on Manny after only 2 kicks and after his first uppercut Manny started to wilt.
The power that he has is simply amazing.
That kid is such an inspiration to watch for people training in Muay Thai. :icon_twis

Yeah, he's something else. Very fun fighter to watch.

I only caught the first round of the fight because I was still at the gym, but even with that small glimpse of him in action I can see that the guy has a much better standup base than the average MMA fighter.

I'll have to watch the rest of the fight later (as well as his other fights), but Jose Aldo is already a name I'm going to remember.

I just wish more people used proper muay thai in mma instead of the americanised crap.

He better get REAL good @ checking leg kicks... tough to have technical boxing with no lead leg.

true. I also like that Aldo keeps it simple. He throws that jab and very well capitalizes on the opponents' reaction:
- doesn't follow up if the opponent defends
- follows up with the straight right if he just stands there
- if the opponent backs away he smashes that baseball bat of a right kick

I'd say more so for people training in MMA who want to improve standup. There's better examples of muay thai...in the sport of muay thai...that people training in muay thai can look to.

But yea...the kid is reaaaaally good. I know I wouldn't stand a chance.

true. I also like that Aldo keeps it simple. He throws that jab and very well capitalizes on the opponents' reaction:
- doesn't follow up if the opponent defends
- follows up with the straight right if he just stands there
- if the opponent backs away he smashes that baseball bat of a right kick

Definitely gota love how he keeps everything simple.

Shogun and Anderson could take some lessons from Aldo in mix MT with effective TDD.

seeing him dismantle some impressive fighters lately really attest to his hype. he's good for real.

Shogun and Anderson could take some lessons from Aldo in mix MT with effective TDD.

u can't compare mike brown-urijah faber and gamburyan against dan henderson-nate marquardt and chael sonnen-chael sonnen national champ and world champ silver medallist-dan henderson all american and olympic silver medallist.

hell machida has better takedowns than brown and gamburyan

I don't understand how these wrestlers have not tried to grab aldo's limb and take him down whenever he throws a kick?

I don't understand how these wrestlers have not tried to grab aldo's limb and take him down whenever he throws a kick?

It's not a kick.

It's a fucking lightning strike made of indestructible bone.

you inspired me to watch some footage of this guy. he is a motherfucker lol. i'd probably start watching mixed martial arts again if they tossed him in there with someone his level.

It's not a kick.

It's a fucking lightning strike made of indestructible bone.

haha catch the kick? he'd probably kick your fingers off!

Low kick check to jumping knee. amazing :)

haha catch the kick? he'd probably kick your fingers off!

lol it's funny you mention that, I was discussing Aldo with a few of my friends and I joked how he would probably break the fingers of somone trying to catch his kicks.

Because he sets it up.

Back