Jose Aldo is special, here's why:

I just wish more people used proper muay thai in mma instead of the americanised crap.

Using "proper" Muay Thai won't make ppl have good coordination and speed+reflexes. He is THAT good of an athlete. I would say Hominick is a match technique-wise(if not better), but he doesn't have the kind of speed and power Aldo does.

being a soccer phenom doesnt hurt either. maybe fighters should train less kickboxing and more soccer. haha

He's been facing grapplers so far, and most of these grapplers haven't tried to use their ground skills untill it was too late. Mike Brown and Faber only tried to take Aldo down after getting beat up on the feet, and Gamburyan did the same. I'd like to see Aldo face a wrestler who comes into the fight wanting to actually use his wrestling.

He looked pretty good standing against Faber and the Armenian Fedor. He needs to fight a real striker though

Using "proper" Muay Thai won't make ppl have good coordination and speed+reflexes. He is THAT good of an athlete. I would say Hominick is a match technique-wise(if not better), but he doesn't have the kind of speed and power Aldo does.

Garcia was able to land some good leg kicks on Hominick. If those kicks were delivered by Aldo, Hominick would be limping at the 2nd round.

Garcia was able to land some good leg kicks on Hominick. If those kicks were delivered by Aldo, Hominick would be limping at the 2nd round.

Garcia got clowned for 3 rds, I was shocked it was a split decision. Few leg kicks, eh? Hominick did the same thing, but also landed a couple of hundred punches MORE. Plus, he blocked 90% of low kicks.

Aldo doesn't throw hooks your right. He times them perfectly and puts them at the end of combos, usually followed by a leg kick.

But one point I'd like to bring up-- if he fights someone who properly checks his low kick he'll stop throwing it I promise.

Faber is not good!

Aldo is the truth. His striking is definitely top 2 right now. I think AS is still the best just based on the fact that he seems to understand positioning better than Aldo (at this point in his young career). right now I'm watching out for Noons. His hands are SICK. I am very interested to see how his fight with Diaz goes.

Its close. I mean awards aside, mike brown and urijah are as good as it gets

They are as good as it gets, but in a much younger and weaker division.
We need to accept that 145 and 135 are moving very fast these days as they're becoming more legit mainstream divisions. They haven't been able to attract top athletes for years like the heavier divisions have and with the pennies the WEC pay the appeal is still limited. Look at Miguel Torres - a few years from now we might look at him like we look at Tim Sylvia today - the better fighter at a weak point for the division.

you inspired me to watch some footage of this guy. he is a motherfucker lol. i'd probably start watching mixed martial arts again if they tossed him in there with someone his level.

Haha good description. Yup, he's a motherfucker

It is a bad idea, but its easy to point out a fighters "mistakes" when we are watching from our couches. Who knows what Aldo really saw at that moment?
Maybe after feeling Manny out for the first round, he determind that Manny has extremely poor striking, so he decided on using what looked like a high risk move. But in reality, at that moment there was no risk.

Same with Anderson. We can say "Why would he do xyz move? its so risky?" But based on his competition, there is in fact no risk, or was no risk at that percise moment.

Come on TooDefensive - that's my line. I think you know better than that - of course I know!

Did I not say "i'm sure he knows what he's doing"?

How could you leave out Anderson? On the surface, Anderson apprears to be a noob, knee jerk response, but they are very similar.

I didn't see any of this. I saw Also staying planted, blocking and checking

Meh. All fighters do this. I mean, who doesn't press forward when they smell blood? I think Also is special due to his success in incorporating MT in MMA, Completly dominating wrestlers and grapplers and the like. The guys utilizes all MT weapons and has no fear of a takedown.

Nah he's way different than Anderson stylistically. Anderson likes to counterstrike, Aldo likes to pwn fools. It's like how I can't really say PBF is like Mosley because they both do boxing and are both really fast.

RE: moving back. I dunno if you and I are watching the same fights. Rewatch the Manny fight again and pay attention every time Manny rushes forward and what Aldo's reaction is. Point out to me a round time where he plants and I'll point out to you ten times where he backs off with his left hand grasping his head to pick off the right hand.

RE: Momentum - do you do BJJ? If you do, do you know what's the difference between a blue belt and a purple belt? (besides knowledge of techniques and how to apply them) That's momentum. Momentum is difference between a blue belt who knows every technique in the book, and a purple belt. Anyways if you don't do BJJ I can explain what I'm talking about, I maybe should have elaborated on what I mean by "momentum" more. I don't think it's what you're thinking.

Back