• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jorge's win is the equivalent of a half court shot in basketball

Masvidal trained the flying knee for Askren:

Stick to mma shertard. The rules of the greatest game is too much for a simpleton like you...

it wasn't any more of a fluke than Bisping's ko of Luke, which was not a fluke

both watched the other fighter fight
both said they saw a weakness in his game
both trained to exploit the weakness
both tried to exploit the weakness
both succeeded big time

only difference was how long it took

Half court shots happen all the time bro

I don't get the hype for the win. It was a flash KO that was set up and nicely and not defended at all. It was kind of a fluke.

If Colby beats Lawler, Colby vs Usman will be scheduled. Then the winner of RDA/Edwards will fight Masvidal for next in line.

LOL NO thats not a flash KO.
Ben was out for a long time.

It's still a low percentage move but high yield. It's not like how the Dutch throw flying knees and it lands often but much lower impact

How? Jorge studied what askren does an trained for it. If askren wansnt one demintional then maybe but that's what asscream does

Yep, and they think Mas has top class anti wrestling, tdd and grappling now.
Sorry for the long answer:
I understand people who think that fight wasn't answered bc it really wasn't.

But then that could have happened half a dozen times while at it, like Aldo vs. Mendes, Aldo vs. Mendes was exactly the same thing: Wrestler was predictable and striker stroke over it. The only difference being the lack of flashlights. (Though that knee was also pretty flashlight'd per se) Or Barboza vs. Dariush.

That doesn't mean Askren would win over Masvidal 8 out of 10 times, we can't know if for sure and all we have as for now tell us otherwise.
How much success did Askren achieve with his TDs due to being reckless over incoming knees?
Will Askren be so sure on his takedowns now?
Say, maybe next time Askren will double-leg Masvidal and get a big elbow in his temple, not to mention the Chael Sonnen paradigm: Tiger while on top, kitty cat while down.

The only way to sort that out is if we put both in a cage & let 'em fight as they want, oh, wait... :eek:

A half court shot is an act of desperation. Jorge's knee IMO is more like a called shot ala a Paul Pierce three:

Joe: Did you call KO?
Jorge: I called bleed!

Last edited:
No way. He studied Askren and knew that Askren likes time to play the hands to set up his shots. He knew if he sprinted at him he would relfex duck for a shot, and that's exactly what happened. Credit to his team for the strategy, but it was no fluke.

never said luck dude. I called it what it was. a fucking 5 second ko. Rare as faak and that being the case we have no idea what so ever how a fight of 6 seconds or longer would go

The point is that Jorge watched tape on how Askren leans left and bends over to shoot (he's always had sloppy initial shots, his reshoot and clinch is what gets people to the ground) and game planned a flying knee to counter.

Why would it matter if he landed it in the opening seconds or three minutes into the fight? That was his plan, and it worked.

You are arguing it worked so well, that he couldn't have done it any other time. That is not a reasonable assumption.

Agree 100% but even though these rarely happen Masvidal fans are convinced this would happen again if they rematched.

I don't see it happening again or at the very least not in that manner. Can't tell me you saw anything that says Askren would handle masvidal from that though.

giphy.gif

It’s certainly somewhat unsatisfying. Lots of the questions about the matchup remain unanswered but I guess that’s just the fight game.

Feels like the Aldo v Swanson fight, I would of still enjoyed seeing how the fight may have played out with the particular styles

Back