Jorge Gurgel's black belt

ohatoughguy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This came up in another thread so I thought I'd ask. Who did Jorge Gurgel get his BJJ black belt under? In his UFC bio, it says he started training BJJ at 16 and moved to the US at 20. 4 years wouldn't be enough time to get a black belt (unless you're BJ Penn), so he must've gotten it in the US. Rich Franklin also mentioned that he's a brown belt under Gurgel, so I'm wondering how legit that is. Not trying to bash, I know Gurgel's got good skills, but most people are pretty open about who trained them.

Why was this moved? Gurgel and Franklin both fight in the UFC.

Yeah he got his black belt from Marcus Aurelio. And Aurelio is a 3rd degree black belt if you want to question his belt too

lol, I for some reason thought this was about Fabio Gurgel, and almost WTF'd all up in this thread.

the man is world class in BJJ... but sadly seems to be a bit minor league in MMA!

the man is world class in BJJ... but sadly seems to be a bit minor league in MMA!

man wtf happened to the OT?

And yes it seems he is one of those guys that just cannot translate his bjj into MMA.

man wtf happened to the OT?

And yes it seems he is one of those guys that just cannot translate his bjj into MMA.

it got AIDS and died...

seriouly though, i think some of the senior mods, maybe even sherwood himself killed it due to all the scat bombs, including one on sherwoods thread! or another theory is maybe they were just getting anoyed with all the effort moderating it. it's a black armband day...

His pro MMA record is 12-3 with 9 submission wins. I wish I could translate my BJJ to MMA that poorly.

Jorge Gurgel is an amazing instructor with an incredible work ethic. If you ever have the chance to work with him, jump on it.

How can anybody make comments on his BJJ skill without seeing a clip fighting in a BJJ match?
He has ok mma grappling but calling that world class is crazy.

Jorge Gurgel is an amazing instructor with an incredible work ethic. If you ever have the chance to work with him, jump on it.

a club where i live trains under him he comes out like 2 or 3 times a year and grades people .

it got AIDS and died...

seriouly though, i think some of the senior mods, maybe even sherwood himself killed it due to all the scat bombs, including one on sherwoods thread! or another theory is maybe they were just getting anoyed with all the effort moderating it. it's a black armband day...

Damn sounds intense. Sorry i wasn't around to see it. Or would i have got the bant if i was there? :redface:

Where is that?

Halifax nova scotia ia have been thinking of goinga nd checking it out to up my judo groundwork .

I heard they only let you work with beginners when you start( which i understand and respect) but id rather work with higher belts to learn more but i think you have to have a 1 stripe or higher to work with more experienced people .

Iam a blue belt in judo and my club is 50/50 for standup/ground work .

Was never a fan of his but he does care about his students and goes to all their tournament to coach, gets respect from me.

Back