Jones VS Sonnen Stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except he was eating major blows by Anderson. Jones was hitting the arms if anything beside the knee.

So that's why Chael curled up in front of Jones and simply put his hands up to wait for Jones to stop or the ref to pull him off.
If that's not giving up, I don't know what is.

He did the same shit against Anderson, why does Chael expect the ref to let his opponent continue pounding him while laying there in fetal position?

Face it, Sonnen was outclassed in literally every single aspect of the game.
He looked like a joke against Jones and proved that he never belonged near a major title in his MMA career.

Bad stoppage, haven't seen anything legit posted yet to say otherwise. I think people need to rewatch it again. Possibly on drugs.

Then you're not reading people's posts? HAVE rewatched it 5X now, including slow-mo. Was not intelligently defending himself, period. Maybe you simply can't handle the truth?

There wasn't much he could do to get out of that position, but at that point he definitely wasn't taking any serious damage. I would have loved for it to go on longer, even if Jones' toe wasn't broken.

Chael was broken after that punishment and was obviously hurt way before Jones actually went in for the kill.

What do people think not intelligently defending yourself is? Joining in on punching yourself in the face? Having your arms down isn't not intelligently defending yourself, it's being unconscious. Turtling for an extended period is the definition of not intelligently defending.

There was still 30 seconds of the round left. 30 seconds of Jones raining down punches and elbows. Good stoppage.

There wasn't much he could do to get out of that position, but at that point he definitely wasn't taking any serious damage. I would have loved for it to go on longer, even if Jones' toe wasn't broken.

Guess the elbow that caused Chael to scream in pain, then grab his face and roll face down before Bones's flurry wasn't as damaging as I thought.

Chael will never complain about how a fight goes because he doesn't view this as MMA...he views it as a fistfight.

The same way he didn't complain about Silva grabbing shorts is the same way he didn't complain about the stoppage.

Slightly early and Sonnen was clearly all there when it was stopped.

Guess the elbow that caused Chael to scream in pain, then grab his face and roll face down before Bones's flurry wasn't as damaging as I thought.

There was blood, but it wasn't a knockout blow. Seemed fine after the ref stopped it, I figure he could have tried to tough it out.

What do people think not intelligently defending yourself is? Joining in on punching yourself in the face? Having your arms down isn't not intelligently defending yourself, it's being unconscious. Turtling for an extended period is the definition of not intelligently defending.
And Sonnen had only turtled for a few seconds, which is why it's a bad stoppage. Was it even five seconds before the ref called it? The ref early let the girl punch the other directly in the face for longer.

Chael will never complain about how a fight goes because he doesn't view this as MMA...he views it as a fistfight.

The same way he didn't complain about Silva grabbing shorts is the same way he didn't complain about the stoppage.

Slightly early and Sonnen was clearly all there when it was stopped.

Agreed. Cain had a fucked up knee in the 1st JDS fight. He never mentions it. Even when they directly ask him about it in the post fight press conference. We only know from other sources.

Sonnen is the same way.

Not a great stoppage, but passable.

Could Sonnen have recovered? Possibly.

Would Sonnen have recovered? Probably not.

Ending was a little quick, however it probably saved Chael some face.

So that's why Chael curled up in front of Jones and simply put his hands up to wait for Jones to stop or the ref to pull him off.
If that's not giving up, I don't know what is.

He did the same shit against Anderson, why does Chael expect the ref to let his opponent continue pounding him while laying there in fetal position?

Face it, Sonnen was outclassed in literally every single aspect of the game.
He looked like a joke against Jones and proved that he never belonged near a major title in his MMA career.

You're acting like I'm saying Sonnen was winning or something, I am advocating that Jon would have won anyway but you can't stop a fight like that when your opponent Hit your arms.

There are plenty of example of people recovering from a blow and not being affected by the following GnP.

Sonnen got hurt by the knee and got stuck against the cage, covered up and blocked the GNP. Then we don't know if he would have done anything or not to get out of it because it was stopped after only a couple of shots.

Against Silva he took the major blow, recovered and went back up before getting knocked back down after he stood up but there's nothing that tells you he for sure wouldn't have been able to get back up after recovering.

i guess he could've waited another 15 seconds but what was the point??

Good stoppage. Chael should have tried to get out of the position. He covered up and just took punishment, didn't look like he was improving his position at all.

So do you mean to say that not improving your position is/should be grounds for a stoppage?

You're acting like I'm saying Sonnen was winning or something, I am advocating that Jon would have won anyway but you can't stop a fight like that when your opponent Hit your arms.

There are plenty of example of people recovering from a blow and not being affected by the following GnP.

Sonnen got hurt by the knee and got stuck against the cage, covered up and blocked the GNP. Then we don't know if he would have done anything or not to get out of it because it was stopped after only a couple of shots.

Against Silva he took the major blow, recovered and went back up before getting knocked back down after he stood up but there's nothing that tells you he for sure wouldn't have been able to get back up after recovering.
Funny how people can't understand that we're not saying Chael would have won. He was getting dominated for sure, but that doesn't make an early stoppage okay. Just telling it like it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back