Jones VS Sonnen Stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do you mean to say that not improving your position is/should be grounds for a stoppage?

If you're taking punishment and not improving, then obviously yes it should be stopped. This sport is not about one guy killing another guy's brain cells.

So turtling up and providing 0 retaliation whilst getting rained on by elbows and punches constitutes as "intelligently defending yourself"...you guys are HILARIOUS. Jones is on another level to Chael and just proved it.

He went fetal. Ref asked him to fight back, he didn't.

Agreed. He should've done more when the ref asked him to fight back, I'm sure all fighters are aware the fight is about to be stopped when they say those words.

Agree, especially in a title fight

To avoid these type of complains, that's why I always liked Rosenthal reffing title bouts.

Why was the fight stopped? Why is anyone but John McCarthy and Herb Dean getting main events

Funny how people can't understand that we're not saying Chael would have won. He was getting dominated for sure, but that doesn't make an early stoppage okay. Just telling it like it is.

yeah, definitely

If it was a good stoppage, then you would have to say that Carwin/Lesnar should have been stopped in the first. It was the same situation.

Think it was only a matter of time really...he was pretty busted up after that round.

You're acting like I'm saying Sonnen was winning or something, I am advocating that Jon would have won anyway but you can't stop a fight like that when your opponent Hit your arms.

There are plenty of example of people recovering from a blow and not being affected by the following GnP.

Sonnen got hurt by the knee and got stuck against the cage, covered up and blocked the GNP. Then we don't know if he would have done anything or not to get out of it because it was stopped after only a couple of shots.

Against Silva he took the major blow, recovered and went back up before getting knocked back down after he stood up but there's nothing that tells you he for sure wouldn't have been able to get back up after recovering.

With a TKO you're never 100% sure but if a fighter does what Chael did vs. Jones and Anderson 2, no one should be surprised that the fights get stopped.
Brock's fight vs. Carwin should have been stopped as well, sure he recovered, but as a ref you can't just wait for a fighter to recover while not intelligently defending himself or fighting back.

If Chael is recovering he should show this instead of curling up in a static position, letting blows rain down on him.

If it was a good stoppage, then you would have to say that Carwin/Lesnar should have been stopped in the first. It was the same situation.

But Carwin gassed and nearly killed himself while Jones was just getting started. Sorry it is not the same thing at all.

It was definitely early. We see guys take much more damage, from many more punches, from more dominant positions without even blocking the shots all the time.

That said it is actually a good thing it was stopped in the end. No need for a rematch where the same thing happens except no toe snap.

But Carwin gassed and nearly killed himself while Jones was just getting started. Sorry it is not the same thing at all.

The fighter on attacking's gas tank shouldn't be a factor in whether it's stopped or not. It's pretty similar. That isn't the only example though. This stuff happens all the time.

That ref was excited to stop that fight and therefore stopped it early.

Getting tired of this shit.
Getting tired of people praising it.

oh_gif.gif

Im a Jones fan,but it was too early.Either way he'd of held on to the belt.lol

Sonnen got hurt by the knee and got stuck against the cage, covered up and blocked the GNP.

No, he got hurt by at elbow to the bridge of the nose with 39 seconds left in the round, this caused Chael to cry out and roll to his belly. He rolls on his side and curls up. Bones lands a pair of lefts, then the knee with 33 seconds left, an elbow and a right hand as the ref leaps onto them with 27 seconds left.

Had the fight continued Chael would have won. Wow.

Thank god that didn't happen. Then we would of had to sit through the same build up to a predictable rematch due to a fluke injury.

Because Carwin pounded Lesnar for much longer. How does that at all make an early stoppage A-ok? I can admit that Sonnen got dominated, why can't you guys accept that it was an early stoppage?

No, he got hurt by at elbow to the bridge of the nose with 39 seconds left in the round, this caused Chael to cry out and roll to his belly. He rolls on his side and curls up. Bones lands a pair of lefts, then the knee with 33 seconds left, an elbow and a right hand as the ref leaps onto them with 27 seconds left.

So what part of what I said isn't correct? He got hurt by the knee then following GNP wasn't getting anywhere when the ref stopped it just like Sonnen was still stuck to his side.

I said nothing about what happened prior to the knee but it's obvious it was the turning point;

Early but probably only by a few seconds although it is funny that Sonnen has basically been 30 seconds from being champion twice

With a TKO you're never 100% sure but if a fighter does what Chael did vs. Jones and Anderson 2, no one should be surprised that the fights get stopped.
Brock's fight vs. Carwin should have been stopped as well, sure he recovered, but as a ref you can't just wait for a fighter to recover while not intelligently defending himself or fighting back.

If Chael is recovering he should show this instead of curling up in a static position, letting blows rain down on him.

I completely agree but most of the time if the TKO comes from a follow up of major blows I have no issue with it. My issue is that the follow up wasn't much to not consider giving a solid 5 seconds to see if the fighter get out of it.

However, the thing is that sometimes completely blocking that way is more beneficial to you than trying to get up instantly and eat blows. But it does not compute with the referee vision of the game.

In simple words, it looked worse than it was and the referee stepped in and it was Sonnen 100% fault for making it look that bad *if* he was recovering quick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back