Jones vs. Cormier does UFC's best pay-per-view numbers in a year

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
According to MMAfighting.com, UFC 182 gave the UFC their best pay-per-view numbers in a year, with early estimates coming in at between 740,000 and 820,000 pay-per-view buys. (Dana White had predicted 750,000.)

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that a lot of people are gonna be more hesitant in the future about spending money on a PPV after that card.

If this fight stayed on 178, it could've did a million.

That's a fair amount of people overpaying for a shit card.

Co main and main were shit.

And what did they give Cormier for putting so much money in the pockets of Dana & Fertittas? 60k and a free UFC T-shirt.

I'd be surprised if it didn't. It was easily the most anticipated fight in a long time for me personally.

Too bad if new viewers paid for it and watched they will never buy another card again

Mayweather vs El Chino was far more boring that Jones vs Cormier, and I don't see people talking about how Mayweather is going to sell less PPVs after that.

Because of the wait.. DC talked but didn't back it up. He should of committed more and either put Jones away or been put away for all of that talk! Hooope Gus gets past AJ and smashes Jones. It will redeem this bs for Cormier.

My thoughts are that a lot of people are gonna be more hesitant in the future about spending money on a PPV after that card.

Rampage vs Evans did 1mil

It was 10x worse then Jones/DC mainevent.

PPl still bought the PPVs after no prob.

As long as the UFC puts on big fight PPVs like Jones/DC was the PPV buys will be good.

Well, the hype behind this fight started organically when the StrikeForce HWGP was going on. That was 4 years ago! Then a delay on top of that. Since they stayed unbeaten that whole time, it was easy to sell that fight.

I was there in person and let me tell you, that was a shit card from head to toe until they fought. PPV's are going up in price soon and now you have 720K-820K people with a bitter taste in their mouth from UFC 182. I don't think they will be swindled like that until JBJ vs Rumble/Gus or Conor, if he wins, vs Aldo.

Rampage vs Evans did 1mil

It was 10x worse then Jones/DC mainevent.

PPl still bought the PPVs after no prob.

As long as the UFC puts on big fight PPVs like Jones/DC was the PPV buys will be good.

It was a lot worse that Jones/DC. But they had an entire season of TUF to hype that,plus both Evans and Rampage can sell tickets and PPVs. Never felt Evans got his due for selling cards.

Because of the wait.. DC talked but didn't back it up. He should of committed more and either put Jones away or been put away for all of that talk! Hooope Gus gets past AJ and smashes Jones. It will redeem this bs for Cormier.

It would be Rumble if anything. Gus had 5 rounds and although he tagged Jones a lot, he was the one that was saved by the bell in the 4th. Unsure if AJ can really do anything about that distance the way he fights. He is all high kicks and hooks. I can see a few hooks getting in, but not those kicks.

Main event wasn't shit. I think it's just your opinion that's shit.

Two friends who only watch the big cards were disappointed with the card too. I can see people thinking it sucked, if they weren't invested in the outcome.

I didn't want to go see the fight, because I feared that Jones would route Cormier. I was convinced to go.... and through the first 3 rounds was shocked that it could turn out to be a fun fight. However, the last rounds pretty much dashed those hopes...but it still ended up being worth the 5$ cover charge, that I spent to go watch it (since I had read alot of the interviews).

Was actually glad Jones won, since I thought that GUS should have had his rematch all along (as he's the only one who has pushed Jones). + sometimes wrestlers like Cormier kind of annoy me with their over confidence in their craft. Good to see him humbled a bit after being 'dethroned' as the king of the grind.

But anyways back to topic... I don't think it means much... Other than....The UFC is still competent enough to promote grudge matches/ can still be a marketing machine. However, the fact that they have spread themselves so thin, pretty much makes it all but likely that they will suffer from a few duds.

Makes sense with all the hype surrounding the fight. To be honest though Cerrone was the one who had me going on that card. Straight up embarrassed jury and then went to beg for another fight because he felt it wasnt exciting enough.

Back