Jones over reliance on reach is getting dumb.

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
He fights with way too much faith in his reach advantage, as if it was a meter longer than his opponents. But it is actually a matter of inches.

And those inches can be compensated with footwork, smart positioning and even an extra extension of the shoulder. Pretending that is fighting dwarves will only make him more and more hittable.

Wouldn't you? If you were a fighter with an 84.5" reach, would you even bother defending yourself if people said you used your reach too much? It's a no brainer.

It’s not dumb. Without his reach he’s an average fighter

Reach advantage is greatly exaggerated, the fighter with the longer reach wins 54% of the time (regardless of the difference in reach, a 1 inch reach advantage effectively has the same percentage increase as a 10" one). It's lanklet cope.

Jones lost last night 48-47 as well.

It is dumb when he gets punched in the face by Santos and Reyes because he thought that leaving his arm stretched would be an effective defense when we see it is actually failing him.

jones been around a while now. He has built us a striking system that works most of the time for him. It relies heavy on his size and athleticism. JOnes doesnt like to get into boxing exchanges and relies heavily on his kicks and stomps. The very low kicks to the legs of Jones cut out much of his offense.

He fights with way too much faith in his reach advantage, as if it was a meter longer than his opponents. But it is actually a matter of inches.

And those inches can be compensated with footwork, smart positioning and even an extra extension of the shoulder. Pretending that is fighting dwarves will only make him more and more hittable.
Really his problem is he's never picked up a jab. Every time he puts his hand out on someone's forehead or in their eyes he should be jabbing, it's insane that he's never picked up a jab in all these years.

Clown ass.

To an extent, I agree. I also think Jon has one hell of a fight iq. If he had average limbs, he might've acquired a few L's over the years, but he's always thinking in there and you can see it.

Jones is where he is for reasons beyond his frame, but I can't say that didn't help him along the way. He also has a great chin and an unbreakable will to win. He has a very particular combination of intangibles that got him where he is, his frame being one of them.

NO no, not dumb
Reach and movement, a little wrestling, a little bit of running.
Always exited before his fights, but not my favourite at the end.
<{gspressed}>

He slipped and ducked a bunch of punches in this fight idk what you are talking about

Jones uses is reach well against short fighters but he struggles against tall fighters(gus, Santos, Reyes)

Izzy will beat Jones because he’s tall and much more talented than all 3 of those tall guys that gave Jones trouble.

Really his problem is he's never picked up a jab. Every time he puts his hand out on someone's forehead or in their eyes he should be jabbing, it's insane that he's never picked up a jab in all these years.

Clown ass.
He traded a normal jab for the extended fingers jab. Far more effective in mma.

His straight punches land more gently than a butterfly with sore feet; doubt his jab is worth the energy it takes to throw it.

His hands are just pure trash. Like he just doesnt have the coordination or built to throw more than 2 combinations without looking awkward as hell.

For such shitty boxing I am very impressed how legendary his career has been. His fight IQ and toughness is just unmatched. He just finds a way to win

his reach allows him too use his best weapon, the eyepokes

Jones uses is reach well against short fighters but he struggles against tall fighters(gus, Santos, Reyes)

Izzy will beat Jones because he’s tall and much more talented than all 3 of those tall guys that gave Jones trouble.

If Izzy can keep it standing he'd pick Jones apart. The problem is can he keep it standing? Jones has a very big strength advantage over Izzy

His hands are just pure trash. Like he just doesnt have the coordination or built to throw more than 2 combinations without looking awkward as hell.

For such shitty boxing I am very impressed how legendary his career has been. His fight IQ and toughness is just unmatched. He just finds a way to win

This, he landed a hanfull of good shots with his hands last night but I can't imagine why he hasn't tightened up his game more... I know Jackson's is basically what made him but at the same time j think he's stagnating in a gym that's circling the drain

Back