Jones is destroying heavyweight

No, they didnt. If they can't beat top contenders they don't deserve a title shot. Otherwise why not drag Randy Couture out of retirement?

That's what people thought about Cain, then injuries ended his career. 2 years is a long time in fight years. If Jones fights Stipe in November that's 20 months that the title has not been defended. Stipe is supposed to be the greatest UFC heavyweight because he defended 3 times right? Take 20 months out of his title reign and he'd only have a single defense.

Tom Aspinall is 31. They are wasting his prime with this Jones bullshit. JDS and Cain fell off around 33. Whatever run Tom is destined to go on he should be getting the opportunity to do it now. He already had to deal with a leg injury taking him out a year. Let's not waste any more of his prime.

For an MMA HW 31 is like 21.

Your whole post is revisonist history.

Francis wanted 1 fight deal to fight Jones then to be able to leave after. The UFC said noooooo.

Nobody knew he was leaving outside of Ngannou. The UFC offered Ngannou $8 million to fight Jon Jones, plus pay-per-view points that would have likely brought his total take to roughly $10 million. One of the key problems from Ngannou's side is what he would have made in the UFC deal had he lost to Jones. Ngannou wanted a 3 fight deal with Stipe and Jones twice.

The problem was with Ngannou

Ngannou is to blame as he priced himself out of what he was asking for with that 3 fight deal and then boxing. He asked for a right to sponsorship, He asked for health insurance. He asked for somebody in the board meetings, a fighter advocate.

Nobody was going to get that shit. Ngannou mentioned that he was going to do all those fights in a year before his move to boxing, So its funny how so many fight fans cry about something they actually do not even know about,
Here's an article leading up to Francis's fight against Gane.

More to the point, apparently you guys mixed the numerous interviews he did long before the Gane fight, most notably on Ariel's show, where Francis EXPLICITLY said he was fighting out his contract and wouldn't re-sign unless the UFC allowed him to box. No, this isn't revisionist history. Yes, it was known...because he made it known.

Only the police have seen that, though. Oh, and it was misdemeanor domestic violence charge that got dropped so obviously wasn't much.
dick-rider.gif

<JonesLaugh>

More to the point, apparently you guys mixed the numerous interviews he did long before the Gane fight, most notably on Ariel's show, where Francis EXPLICITLY said he was fighting out his contract and wouldn't re-sign unless the UFC allowed him to box. No, this isn't revisionist history. Yes, it was known...because he made it known.

If you look back in time many people thought Francis was using this magical technique called lying. Many people didn't actually think he was serious about the boxing shit they thought it was a negotiating ploy. And others thought maybe Dana would let Francis box if it was THAT important to him. You know cause he let someone else box(i can't remember their name they must not be very important if I can't remember their name).

Dana has been bitching for years about his failure to make Fedor v Brock Lesnar(or Khabib v Tony for that matter). Some people thought he would do anything to prevent that shit from happening again. Those people were wrong but it was a thought that went into many peoples heads.

So yes yes it is revisionist history.

Only a 20-month wait for a guy who won a vacant belt to defend against a 42-year-old coming off a 44-month layoff after getting brutally KOd while the interim champ sits on the shelf

What's there to complain about?
well said Sherbro.

Jones has only had 1 Heavyweight fight and that was a very short 2mins fight against a fairly inexperienced fighter Ciryl Gane. Most HW fighters aren't used to getting subbed and so an easy win for Jones..... but it really doesn't prove much to me at all about Jones at HW.

I'd have liked Jones to prove he is one of the greatest fighters by taking on ANYONE at HW which means Ngannou, Aspinall, Pavlovich, fighters like that. Instead, like you said, he has fought just TWICE in almost 5 years, and only HW win is a simple guillotine against Gane.

As for Miocic, like you said it will have been close to 4 *years* of inactivity for him by the time he steps into the Octagon in New York in November and he is already a multi-millionaire so I have to wonder how his motivation is going to be. I think Miocic effectively retired years ago and he is just doing one last fight for 8 to 10million (something like that).

Once the Jon Jones era is over I do hope the UFC injects some URGENCY to whoever are the remaining players and we can get a division that moves along FAR quicker with more pizzazz and dynamism and fighters who will just say "yes, send the contract" when the UFC propose a date and time and opponent.

Jon Jones beat prime DC twice. Jones, any version of him, lays a beating on every single heavyweight currently in MMA. Unlikable man, unbeatable fighter until father time says so. Jones' isn't sitting in his room saying to himself "boy that Tom Aspinall, he's something". Jon believes he is the best there ever was, is, or will be. The end.

Jones deserves every benefit of every doubt. His haters on the other hand once accused him of ducking Chael Sonnen. These stories always go the same way. Haters bitch Jones is ducking someone, Jones taunts them a little bit, Jones eventually fights that person and embarasses them then the haters call that person a bloated MW, old, a can or what not and pretend the whole thing never happened.

When Jones beats Aspullnall his haters will drop Aspullnall harder than Jones ever could. Then they'll accuse Jones of ducking Pav or Blaydes(cause wrestling). They will forever lambast him for not fighting whoevers on deck whenever Jones actually retires. That will happen and theres nothing anyone can do about it. And it should not bother Jones one iota.
What is this bullshit......

Who is the interim champ? Aspinall. So who should fight for the title?

It is that easy.

It truely seems like you are in love with jon jones, because you have such a warped perception of him and his career. He has always fought people much smaller than him, or at the tail end of their careers. And he still doped to the gills to do that.

Only the police have seen that, though. Oh, and it was misdemeanor domestic violence charge that got dropped so obviously wasn't much.
I believe the misdemeanor was for assaulting a police car and he wasn't charged for beating his girlfriend bloody in front of his kids because she wouldn't press charges

Jon Jones beat prime DC twice. Jones, any version of him, lays a beating on every single heavyweight currently in MMA. Unlikable man, unbeatable fighter until father time says so. Jones' isn't sitting in his room saying to himself "boy that Tom Aspinall, he's something". Jon believes he is the best there ever was, is, or will be. The end.
Sure, which is why in the last 4 years he has fought a middleweight(and lost that fight with everyone but the judges), and he has fought a guy with ZERO ground game and non-existent wrestling. And his next fight will be against a guy who is at the tail end of his career, who is 2-2 in his last 4, and whos last fight was 3+ years ago - where he got K.O'ed.

Jon really challenges himself, huh?

Ohh he challenged himself with DC, which is why he doped to the gills.

Yes he is destroying HW:)

The thing is Jon and the UFC came to terms before Francis made the choice to leave the promotion. While none of what you are saying is false. It implies Jones did that to duck Francis. If Francis had stayed in the UFC Jon would have had to fight him. Francis is the one who walked away in the end. Jones just was tired of not being paid especially with his career winding down and no dramatic increase otherwise on the horizon. I find it very hard to blame Jones for that.

Francis wanted a 1 fight deal to fight Jones. The UFC said no. Thats the UFCs fault not Jon Jones.
Jon Jones never agreed to fight Frank and never would have. If you have proof to the contrary, present it.

Sure, which is why in the last 4 years he has fought a middleweight(and lost that fight with everyone but the judges), and he has fought a guy with ZERO ground game and non-existent wrestling. And his next fight will be against a guy who is at the tail end of his career, who is 2-2 in his last 4, and whos last fight was 3+ years ago - where he got K.O'ed.

Jon really challenges himself, huh?

Ohh he challenged himself with DC, which is why he doped to the gills.

There is a lot of excuses on why Jon Jones wrecked a bunch of UFC legends, but in the end that is what happened. Doesn't matter to any significant portion of fighters, analysts, or fans that he used PEDs and cheated. Doesn't matter that he is "bigger" (everyone made weight). Jon wins fights, and he wins them every single time. It doesn't matter that he, the man, is a failure in almost every meaningful way. Jon will go down as a legend, a troubled legend, but a legend. Conversely he will never be a fan favorite. If Jon doesn't self-correct, when he exits fighting completely he will likely implode and we all know karma can be tough.

Now do I think Jon is carefully selecting his opponents? Yes I do. I don't know the exact reasons why. Maybe he doesn't want the wear and tear. Maybe he doesn't want the miserable week after. Maybe he doesn't want to train as hard as some of these guys might require him to do. However, there is one thing I'm pretty positive on, it isn't because he thinks they're better. Jon is one of the best I've every seen, period.

Having worked with DV perps and victims, even though I do try to respect the court's role in determining guilt and innocence, that's pretty much the one crime I'll raise my eyebrow at without a conviction.

I've seen cases with just unrejectable evidence have a hard time because the prosecutor has to essentially argue against the perp AND the victim. Pretty sad shit

Having worked with DV perps and victims, even though I do try to respect the court's role in determining guilt and innocence, that's pretty much the one crime I'll raise my eyebrow at without a conviction.

I've seen cases with just unrejectable evidence have a hard time because the prosecutor has to essentially argue against the perp AND the victim. Pretty sad shit

Thanks for the input! I'm not saying that nothing happened, just that people here saying Jon "beat the shit out of his fiance" or beat her half to death doesn't line up with a misdemeanor charge. At least in my mind...

There is no mix up.

Again there is no numerous interviews, it is what his team stated and Ngannou.

We already went through this, his management and him said he was willing to have a 3 fight deal before his boxing departure. He made it clear that the UFC desserved the blaiming for not making the fight. He made it known that he was willing to do this so and his management made it clear he was willing to fight Jones.

Jones signed his contract on the 14th and Ngannou did not sign the contract by that deadline and was stripped. Ngannou was stunned that jones was upset with him when he did not sign that contract, a comment he made clear.

Ngannou told "The MMA Hour" on Tuesday after jones and him were to sign the contract that money was not the primary sticking point during his negotiations with UFC. Ngannou asked to have his own sponsors, health insurance and a fighter advocate at UFC board meetings. Ngannou subsequently clarified this was a request he wanted to be applied to all UFC fighters. The UFC, according to Ngannou, shot down all three talking points.

So he was willing to do it without the boxing clause and made it clear.

Back