Jones/Gus is first fight with this much disagreement about Media/Viewer Judging

I thought Alex won too...Rounds 1-3 Alex......4 and 5 Jones............in Pride under total damage Jones wins but in a 10 point system Alex won

Agreed, although I also thought that Frankie Edgar beat Jose Aldo under this same principal.

It was close. Gus def won the 1st..the 2nd and 3rd really coulda gone either way. In all honesty to me he won the 4th, yea he got rocked in the last 30 seconds (no knockdown and no takedown) but judges forget that Jones got tooled the other 4.5 minutes. I woulda went 1,3,4 GUS and 2 and 5 Jones...

I thought Alex won too...Rounds 1-3 Alex......4 and 5 Jones............in Pride under total damage Jones wins but in a 10 point system Alex won

I thought the exact opposite haha. I scored it 2,4,5 for Jones, but overall would have given it to Gus. With the Pride emphasis on the end of fights and finishing, maaaaaybe Jones, but Gus made a great case that he was just as good if not better than Jones.

The whole issue is reminiscent of Machida/Shogun to me (oh shit dont bring that up!), that under the 10-point must system, I scored it for Machida, but Shogun was definitely the better fighter and winner.

I was especially surprised, as I went into the fight thinking that Gus had nothing to offer Jones; everything Alex did well, Jones did better.

On the original topic: I think part of the discrepancy is that those who though Gus won are much more upset, and therefore much more vocal about it.

Back