• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jon will be exonerated and continue to reign supreme

Honestly, I’m wondering if that charge will even stick. If all they have is that he drove earlier and planned to drive again, he may not have been DWI. I think the main factor in that charge is whether or not the keys were in the ignition.

again, it’s all different in different states so I’m not going to act like I know for sure, but if the car was parked and not running at the time of the encounter, a rich man with a good lawyer may be able to get off. He wasn’t actually ‘driving’, after all

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-get-a-dui-for-sleeping-drunk-in-my-car.html

And the law in New Mexico

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-mexico-dui-dwi-33664.html

Still doesn’t make me feel a whole lot more confident either way.

I think that in most states, keys in the ignition and being in the driver’s seat is enough to convict, especially when the guy is dumb enough to admit he was planning to drive, so this could all be moot and a conviction could be a foregone conclusion.

But the specificity of being ‘in physical control’ is definitely open to interpretation. I would never underestimate a good lawyer’s ability to argue this kind of thing, especially if they have a lot of experience in DWI cases. Never put it past any judge or jury to get it wrong.

Still doesn’t make me feel a whole lot more confident either way.

I think that in most states, keys in the ignition and being in the driver’s seat is enough to convict, especially when the guy is dumb enough to admit he was planning to drive, so this could all be moot and a conviction could be a foregone conclusion.

But the specificity of being ‘in physical control’ is definitely open to interpretation. I would never underestimate a good lawyer’s ability to argue this kind of thing, especially if they have a lot of experience in DWI cases. Never put it past any judge or jury to get it wrong.

Given his prior history, I'd say he's in some deeper trouble this time.

Given his prior history, I'd say he's in some deeper trouble this time.
His history has no bearing on any new trial, though. They have to prove his new charges by themselves and his history would come into play during sentencing.

I didn’t even see the video yet and if his car was running then everything I’m saying is worthless anyway. But if that car wasn’t running, they could have a rough time proving DWI. All I’m saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlymb9904
Back