• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes

The issue is that none of the judges gave Reyes all the first 3 rounds. He took off the 5th in a close fight
I don't think "he took it off", nor do I believe the fight hinged on that round.

I'm not going back in the thread to reply to that guy but whoever said the headkick didn't land lmao, partially blocked head kicks are not insignificant in any way. I've never seen more delusional defenses of a fighter than for Jon jones, just bizarre stuff

As delusional as you are thinking your point of view or opinion is more valid than someone elses. Also that is what fans do, they support their fighter which is not anything new. What is bizarre are the ones who think it is strange.

As delusional as you are thinking your point of view or opinion is more valid than someone elses. Also hat is what fans do, they support their fighter which is not anything new. What is bizarre are the ones who think it is strange.
defenses of jones I've seen on many occasions boil down to "he didn't do enough to win according to my arbitrary standard of beating the champ" while conceding that Reyes won the first 3 rounds, are you saying that should be taken seriously?

defenses of jones I've seen on many occasions boil down to "he didn't do enough to win according to my arbitrary standard of beating the champ" while conceding that Reyes won the first 3 rounds, are you saying that should be taken seriously?

Traditionally, to be a champion in boxing you had to beat the champion without controversy. This is actually a truth that was in sports. When it was close it went to the champion.

You are asking about opinions or a point of view. An opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive, rather than facts, which are true statements.

Again standards of measurement in any argument can be different and with dueling viewpoints they usually are. The question is what makes an opinion a good opinion, but it is still an opinion.

What did jones even do of significance in that fight? Failed like 7/9 of his takedown attempts and didn’t even land with any good shots, atleast Reyes connected with shots that looked like they had a big impact even if they didn’t show damage.

Jones ain’t ever really been known as a hard hitter so this “Reyes wasn’t landing any impactful shots” bullcrap can just as much be applied to Jones who landed less significant strikes in rounds 1,2 and 3.

Last edited:
Some hits were Reyes going to the body with straight punches trying to move Jon away from getting him close to the ropes, but didn't affect JJ in a visible way at all. JJ hits seemed to have more of a power into them in terms of cleaning shot. The cleanest one landed by Reyes was an uppercut when JJ got close to him. Clean shot yeah. Jones landed good elbows and punches. I don't think Reyes should absolutely get the 3rd round because out striking with many hits being to the body with no indication JJ was getting bothered and affected by those hits, at least showed no visible signs, with JJ putting in a higher pressure and landing arguably cleaner shots could make him the winner of that just as easily as Reyes could.
That is 100% verifiably wrong. The biggest shots of round 3 were Reyes. You mention the uppercut, but also forget the heavy body kick that was not blocked and the head kick that, if blocked, was only the shin and blocked across body and not same side, which is much weaker, while Reyes' foot hit Jones head completely unimpeded. And Jones didn't put a higher pressure, as he was throwing less as well. There is no measurable statistic other than average proximity to the octagon's center than anyone can argue without delusion.

Jones won the fight. Reyes is a dumbass that took off the 5th round for some reason
I think it's probably cuz he won the majority of the rounds so far at that point in the eyes of everyone with eyes.

Shame bout dem judges though. Hope they're doing ok.

Last edited:
I'm not going back in the thread to reply to that guy but whoever said the headkick didn't land lmao, partially blocked head kicks are not insignificant in any way. I've never seen more delusional defenses of a fighter than for Jon jones, just bizarre stuff
Nah, this sweat explosion is just because of how hard Jon blocked it, ya see? Didn't land at all
JD59jF2.png

Rounds 4 and 5 are clearly Jones rounds.

I'm going to rematch the first 3 rounds right now for sure.

Reyes won 1st round, Reyes eeked out 2nd round as well, bug flurry early in the round got it for him, about to start 3rd round.

That is 100% verifiably wrong. The biggest shots of round 3 were Reyes. You mention the uppercut, but also forget the heavy body kick that was not blocked and the head kick that, if blocked, was only the shin and blocked across body and not same side, which is much weaker, while Reyes' foot hit Jones head completely unimpeded. And Jones didn't put a higher pressure, as he was throwing less as well. There is no measurable statistic other than average proximity to the octagon's center than anyone can argue without delusion.
I think I may get it confused with round 2. I think it's the one I've watched in slow motion. In round 3, you may be right. But no, most of Reyes' shots on round 2 were body shots, when most body shots were straight left to the body to which Jones showed no signs of damage, it was more an attempt to accumulate damage or make Jones try protecting the body more to let his head more open. Many of the shots weren't shown as effecting Jones. Most of them on round 2.

The head kick WAS blocked. You can see that JJ put his arms in his head at the moment of the head kick. If it hit, it barely hit Jon Jones' face. I didn't say that blocking negates the impact, but go and compare that head kick with one to which Jones landed and that Gus blocked, but which had a way more perceptible effect since his arms didn't cushion the kick hard enough and pressed his head, which you could see his expression of discomfort upon feeling somewhat of the impact. Totally different here... Jones pretty much blocked it. Maybe you listened to the narrator saying head kick and didn't pay attention to whether it was blocked... Or maybe saw the whole thrown volume from Reyes but didn't pay attention to which hit was landing, whether many of them were mostly blocked... The kick to the body you may be speaking of was significant, but still, Jones' behavior when receiving it speaks a lot to how it's evaluated too. It's different from a well connected kick in which you can clearly see sign of damage like taking a breath and some steps back (eg Jiri Projaska when kicked in the body by Poatan, 2nd round) and one which the fighter doesn't even make a pain expression. Toughness when receiving blows are and must be evaluated.

Reyes clearly won Round 3.

Never cared enough about this fight to rematch it till now.

See above the head kick stuff. And nah, I don't have bias or let hypothetical preferences could my judgement. I've no bias for JJ.

Nah, this sweat explosion is just because of how hard Jon blocked it, ya see? Didn't land at all
JD59jF2.png
Just so you know, I'm talking about the high kick in round 2 or 3... Not that one. And that one, was a high kick with little pressure to it. You can see Reyes didn't manage to put much into it by his movement and the little impact it head. Seemed a lot like he didn't high kick the way he intended.

Back