Jon Jones training with: Gordon Ryan (BJJ), Joe Parker (boxing), Gable Steveson (wrestling)

Bullshit. I think Pereira has improved tremendously in the small amount of time he's been on MMA.

Improved tremendously where though?

He got taken down by Jiri and controlled by Adesanya when he took himself down. Jan took him down repeatedly and controlled him at length. Bruno Silva took him down multiple times.

He’s still highly flawed in certain areas but his striking/killer instinct/intangibles make up for it (thanks to some favorable match making as well, with not having to fight Ank as champ or guys like him on his ascent).

I said his TDD did improve somewhat and his submission defense he doesn’t panic and can defend better. Most of his improvements are in adapting his striking for MMA to better control distance without giving openings to wrestle/out-grapple him, and he’s improved his cardio/pacing/striking output as well.

Learning from 3 different elite from 3 separate disciplines sounds good, but if Jones doesn’t focus on what got him to this stage, or on the basics, it may change his focus and not work out well for him. I think trying a few new techniques is ok, but if he is getting a complete overhaul by this it will have an element of surprise but also open up new holes in his game. It’s a coin flip if these new training partners / coaches will help or hinder him tbh.

MMA skills aren’t transferred like that.

Jones is almost 40 at the end of his career - he pretty much is who he is at this point.

I’m sure it’s helpful to have such elite training partners, but the improvements/skills he’ll get at this stage of the game will be very small.
Nah you can always do new stuff, you just have to drill it. For my first fight ALL I did was wreetle and Bjj. Nothing else.

I was like 20

Now I’m 35 and I’d legit need 3 months of drilling daily to do those things again.

If there’s a game plan nines can def pickup new things

why do you say that? Just cuz hes old?
infomercial-help.gif

Improved tremendously where though?

Takedown defense.

Getting back up methodically, and assuredly, when taken down.

MMA-efficient style suited to his particular body-type and strengths.

He got taken down by Jiri and controlled by Adesanya when he took himself down. Jan took him down repeatedly and controlled him at length. Bruno Silva took him down multiple times.

He was taken down once by Jiří Procházka (first fight), but was never taken down by Adesanya. (Adesanya reversed a Pereira-attempt, and did hold him down for a bit.)

Procházka failed in his second attempt, in his second fight. Pereira absolutely decimated Procházka the the second time, reading him properly, and improving dramatically ... compared to the first time were there were some pins-and-needles moments.

Jan couldn't keep Pereira down the first time, and just panic-wrestled the second time.

I would bet a million dollars to a penny, that Pereira would KO Jan now, especially in a 5-rounder. (Jan was about done at the end of the second, and again halfway into the third. Hence the lay-and-pray.)

He’s still highly flawed in certain areas but his striking/killer instinct/intangibles make up for it (thanks to some favorable match making as well, with not having to fight Ank as champ or guys like him on his ascent).

Pereira will destroy Ankalaev in a 5-rounder.

I said his TDD did improve somewhat and his submission defense he doesn’t panic and can defend better. Most of his improvements are in adapting his striking for MMA to better control distance without giving openings to wrestle/out-grapple him, and he’s improved his cardio/pacing/striking output as well.

We agree here, but you're not seeing his dramatic improvement to his whole style. He is literally learning on the job.

If you watch his first fight, that he lost, he was going for submissions and trying to be "a rounded MMA guy" ... whereas now, he is basically managing distance, preventing takedowns (or, getting up efficiently is taken-down) ... and keeping the fight in kickboxing range, where is skills are incomparable compared to his opponents (as are his physical advantages).

Pereira has literally developed his own unique style, designed specifically for his gifts, experience, and body type.

So you’re not interested in a poll result? Interesting….

I explained my position as logically as I could, I don’t judge fighters off of single performances like you.

Have a good evening my friend.
Judging off of a single performance? yea, like I didn’t bring up his takedown numbers. exactly why ended this exchange early 😂. deuces, fam.

MMA skills aren’t transferred like that.

Jones is almost 40 at the end of his career - he pretty much is who he is at this point.

I’m sure it’s helpful to have such elite training partners, but the improvements/skills he’ll get at this stage of the game will be very small.
But Jon Jones is a also a demigod so who knows?
I believe his father was Zeus.

If he is bringing these guys in then why not fight an actual legitimate threat - Tom.

Instead he's fighting a guy who is now, basically, a hobbyist and hasn't fought in almost 4yrs.

Stipe is a slam dunk for Jon at this point.
Tom wasnt even ranked when Jones beat Gane

the UFC should re-book so he fights a guy who had his first PPV post Jones winning the belt?

The weird thing is -- I'll bet it's the same people saying "MMA was better without testing, Just Bleed!" and "Jones is a cheater who only won because of steroids!".

But is he training with Michael Phelps in an OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL?

Back