• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jon Jones reveals how stupid Sherdog has become (long read)

Did Nate Diaz get 3x his normal salary to fight conor? More?
Are you really going to compare a Mcgregor fight payday to Jones?

But since you want to talk numbers, has Jones ever come close with his title fights to the PPV numbers that Mcgregor vs Diaz did for a non title fight?

Are you really going to compare a Mcgregor fight payday to Jones?

But since you want to talk numbers, has Jones ever come close with his title fights to the PPV numbers that Mcgregor vs Diaz did for a non title fight?

Jones vs DC 2 drew around 900k, Mcgregor vs Diaz around 1140k
Jones vs Ngannou in the midst of a sports drought because of corona wouldn't do a bad number, not at all.
It doesn't warrant Mcgregor money, of course, but they can pay Jones more than his usual 500k and they will come to an agreement. Dana didn't even try to negotiate, as seen by his interviews, and that's most likely what pisses Jones off.

People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
I get it, it's Jon Jones, the guy is a douchebag.
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.

4 short paragraphs= Long read. If you’re a moron.

People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.

Actually, at least for some of us, we want him to leave the UFC because we distrust Dana. Having a second top level MMA organization (as was the case when Pride was still around) would, in my opinion, be good for MMA. And Jones is clearly one of the four GOATs (along with Fedor, Anderson and GSP) and is the top active fighter. Having him go to one of the other organizations would instantly raise that organization's level, and probably a significant number of other top fighters (those as annoyed by Dana as Jones is) would follow.

I think Jones is 100% in the right to ask for more money to fight Francis. In fact, every UFC fighter is in the right to ask for more money (the UFC reportedly pays a smaller portion of its profits than boxing or any of the major sports), but most don't have the clout to make the request. A second top level MMA organization would go a long way towards that.

What did he ask for?

He's burned his free paper with the audience so no surprise they don't have his back. But do we know what he was even asking for?

Actually, at least for some of us, we want him to leave the UFC because we distrust Dana. Having a second top level MMA organization (as was the case when Pride was still around) would, in my opinion, be good for MMA. And Jones is clearly one of the four GOATs (along with Fedor, Anderson and GSP) and is the top active fighter. Having him go to one of the other organizations would instantly raise that organization's level, and probably a significant number of other top fighters (those as annoyed by Dana as Jones is) would follow.

I think Jones is 100% in the right to ask for more money to fight Francis. In fact, every UFC fighter is in the right to ask for more money (the UFC reportedly pays a smaller portion of its profits than boxing or any of the major sports), but most don't have the clout to make the request. A second top level MMA organization would go a long way towards that.

I agree with you. I'd love to see Jones at ONE, they are the true #2 organization in my opinion, but it's more likely he'll just retire except if ONE offers him ridiculous money.

And yeah, he is 100% right to ask for more money.

What did he ask for?

He's burned his free paper with the audience so no surprise they don't have his back. But do we know what he was even asking for?

Given that Dana white throws around ridiculous numbers or rather non-numbers like "Deontay Wilder" money (40million) I'd guess Jones started the negotiations for a HW bout with a ridiculously high offer and expected Dana to counter-offer. Instead Dana's ego kicked in (hurrr we won't spend so much money during corona crisis, how dare you jon) and didn't try to negotiate with Jones and that's why Jones is so pissed of, presumably - and that's why UFC 250 looks like it looks. It's the only way this really makes sense to me.

But nah, we don't know. Seems unlikely real negotiation ever happened.

Jones vs DC 2 drew around 900k, Mcgregor vs Diaz around 1140k
Jones vs Ngannou in the midst of a sports drought because of corona wouldn't do a bad number, not at all.
It doesn't warrant Mcgregor money, of course, but they can pay Jones more than his usual 500k and they will come to an agreement. Dana didn't even try to negotiate, as seen by his interviews, and that's most likely what pisses Jones off.
So his biggest title fight didn't do the numbers a non title fight that was put together in less than 2 weeks did? And you think he deserves what he's asking for?

Jones confirmed he makes 5mil a fight, so that's more than his usual 500k...

Given that Dana white throws around ridiculous numbers or rather non-numbers like "Deontay Wilder" money (40million) I'd guess Jones started the negotiations for a HW bout with a ridiculously high offer and expected Dana to counter-offer. Instead Dana's ego kicked in (hurrr we won't spend so much money during corona crisis, how dare you jon) and didn't try to negotiate with Jones and that's why Jones is so pissed of, presumably - and that's why UFC 250 looks like it looks. It's the only way this really makes sense to me.

But nah, we don't know. Seems unlikely real negotiation ever happened.
Gotcha - well I'm not about to side with Dana. That's for sure. Just not sure how much leverage Jones has, currently, having looked mortal in his last few fights, and having the problems he has.

Thanks for the thread.

he has a loss

Did you read my post?
Why do you care about a multi-billion dollar company making money? Why do you care if the billioniare shareholders get more money shoved down their throat?
It's not about how big of a draw Jon is. He's the youngest champ in UFC history, he has countless title-defenses, he's also a fuck-up, yeah, but he wants to give us a fight that hardcores and the UFC themselves have been asking for, so why not pay up?

Why? I thought this forum was about MMA, not money.

You're right. Who cares if no one knows who Ngannou is. MMA fans understand the implications of Jones moving up and what it means for his legacy if he wins, fuck the UFCs PPV figures.

Did you read my post?
Why do you care about a multi-billion dollar company making money? Why do you care if the billioniare shareholders get more money shoved down their throat?
It's not about how big of a draw Jon is. He's the youngest champ in UFC history, he has countless title-defenses, he's also a fuck-up, yeah, but he wants to give us a fight that hardcores and the UFC themselves have been asking for, so why not pay up?

Why? I thought this forum was about MMA, not money.
Please show any resemblance of people clamoring for Jones vs Ngannou before Jon teased it. No one was asking for that fight he’s pretended he’s gonna go up to HW for years now and hasn’t. He wants a super fight going up and challenging a contender is everything but a super fight. That fights gonna be absolute dog shit. Francis swinging wildly and Jon turning his back to circle out. UFC obviously doesn’t want it or they’d pay and hardcore fans know Jon is full of shit.

It took that for you to realize how dumb the majority of this site is?

I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view,

He doesn't look dominant anymore, just one of the top fighters in a weak division. That's why I can understand if someone feels indifferent whether he stays or leaves. We are not talking about prime Jones anymore, just my opinion.

Well, my friend, this is Sherdog. No news. A bunch of casuals, fans of Conor McGregor, Cormier, I mean, the worst types. I am not surprised. But thanks for your thoughts, you seem to think right.

P.S.: And even talking about pregnant ladies and stuff, this isn't even debatable, once any person in this planet can't determine who they will hit in a car accident before the same. But ok, haters think differently - stupid -, who am I to argue with dumb shit, you know... I prefer stick with my 3 Jordan laughs all the time because of things like that.

I think Jones vs Ngannou would sell better than Jones vs Reyes 2 epsecially if the UFC marketed it well, which they won't as they suck at marketing their fighters. And that's why fighters have to be really good at marketing themselves. Conor is really the only one that has done that so effectively. Jones could have actually been a real superstar and made tons more money if he done a better job outside the cage prompting himself better.

Back