Jon Jones: "My job is to win the fight no matter how ugly"

Some fans would love to see bar brawl and some crazy/flashy finishes..but just not possible as its a sport. But then again, CM Punk is coming, so there is some WWE/entertainment element as well lol.

Jones was outsruck in the first three rounds. Did his little get punched in the head while landing a couple of knee pushes and everybody thinks I won the striking because I landed more. He then wall and stalled the next two rounds. It was hardly this amazing GOAT performance.

its true. JJ as good as he is at winning fights, he doesn't really have much of that "wow" or OMG! type of moments.

He's not wrong but it's not the whole picture either.

As a champion, he's placed as a representative of the company. Poor/lackluster performances not only reflect badly on him but the company as a whole. That's the type of image that would disincline the company to put their full weight behind marketing the guy.

Performance also affects a large portion of his earnings through PPV sales. If you alienate the fan base, they will stop buying your PPVs thus reducing your cut of the revenue.

Yes his job is to win but it is in everyone's best interest, especially his, to do so in an entertaining manner.

bloody Jackson ruining excitement in mma...first it was GSP now JBJ,

It was a pathetic display. Neither Jones nor Cormier are anywhere near as skilled as Gustafsson.

Jones beat him the first time, he'll do it again. Watch Jon finish Gus in the rematch.

Jones is going to get paid, regardless, a LOT. All the ill will in the world from you,and people like you with an agenda is not going to change that.

What agenda is that? Wanting to be entertained?

Jones has it in him to give exciting fights. Nobody is down playing his talent. He chooses to fight overly safe and stall. Throwing in his eye pokes don't make him exciting either.

I am going to guess you are too young or brain dead to remember Matt Lindland in the UFC. He was ranked as the top MW in the world. He'd win fights in an ugly fashion. UFC got rid of him as soon as they could. Zuffa didn't want to risk having someone like Lindland fight their new champ Anderson Silva and boring more of their new fans to tears.

How about Tim Slyvia? The UFC made him fight knowing he needed back surgery then ditched him. Nowadays the standards of what the "world's best" is is so low, they wouldn't get rid of fighters like that because they want to run so many events and milk fans for every last cent, like the carnies Zuffa are.

News flash: people don't want to see ugly fight styles. Lay and pray and hugging is ugly. Do you think that has anything to do with fans not wanting to watch the UFC like they did even a few years ago? They feel ripped off. They do not see the value in watching fights now. PPV dollars are down. Viewership on free shows are down.

The fans have spoken.

as long as he is the champ and arguably best P4P...there is nothing anyone can do. His real money as someone pointed out its in the win/maintaining the belt.

Mayweather boring as hell too but he is the richest athlete according to forbes.

They can shelf him if it came to that.

I thought they were going to do that to Anderson Silva at one point when he would do nothing but dance in Montreal and Abu Dhabi. You can't have your main event guys driving fans off with horrible fights. That is not good for business. Chael Sonnen basically made fans care about Anderson Silva again, which he should be eternally grateful for.

If the promotion really wanted the belt off of him, there are underhanded things they can do.

jones was outsruck in the first three rounds. Did his little get punched in the head while landing a couple of knee pushes and everybody thinks i won the striking because i landed more. He then wall and stalled the next two rounds. It was hardly this amazing goat performance.

fucking amen. Thank god sherdog has hope after all

The wall and stall thing is all on the shoulder's of the ref. In many fights, not just this one, I see refs letting this go on far too long with no work being done by either opponent. It's similar to the ridiculous amount of clinching that's allowed in boxing. There really should be a limit, and after some point, points should start getting deducted.

Fighters are going to keep using this tactic to rest and tire out their opponents until the rules are either changed or the methodology of the refs change. This shit bugs me too, but it's legal. For me, it boils down to fighters not being in as good cardio shape as they should be or could be and not having it in them to take a little risk for a lot of glory.

I agree. Style matchups make fights entertaining. The minute you think about entertaining and not winning, you put yourself in a situation of losing.

They can shelf him if it came to that.

I thought they were going to do that to Anderson Silva at one point when he would do nothing but dance in Montreal and Abu Dhabi. You can't have your main event guys driving fans off with horrible fights. That is not good for business. Chael Sonnen basically made fans care about Anderson Silva again, which he should be eternally grateful for.

If the promotion really wanted the belt off of him, there are underhanded things they can do.

technically they can shelf him I guess. But if they do that, they be holding of the LHW division in terms of title fights, and don't think its to anyone's interest. Also if they intentionally shelf him, knowing JJ and his camp...they would of stood up and create a media storm and make ufc look bad.

They should have handled it like in the Hendricks/Lawler 2 fight.

He obviously stalled in the 4th and 5th.

Back