Jon Jones: "My job is to win the fight no matter how ugly"

straight6

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Jones mentioned during the post fight conference by holding Cormier against the cage some fans may not find it entertaining, but its not his job to "woo or wow" the fans. That his job is just to fight and win.

I do tend to agree. What you guys think?

agreed

change the rules if the rules create boring fights. Fighters should do what they have to in order to win

Exactly.People just want fighters they dislike to brawl recklessly, so they'll be knocked out.

I thought Jones did a great job. Cormier looked pretty dangerous in the first and second, but Jones handled him very well.

He's right.

I love how Jones was kicking him at will without fear of getting taken down.

He is right, but I don't have to like it when someone stalls out a round though.

This is where Jon has good leverage. As long as one is the champ...no matter how "safe" or "boring" the fight (or strategy), there nothing ufc can do. ufc can cut a top 10 guy, but never a champ.

You can't knock guys regardless of how boring some fights can be because winning is the only way these guy make the "real" money. The belts seem to help these guy's pay tremendously. I think they should've been separated in the 5th though.

DC was even worse in the Mir victory, Jon is right. It was rough to watch, but he threw plenty of hard elbows and kept purposeful pressure on him to grind him down. Excellent strategy and he executed it perfectly.

I think they should get a battlebots thing going where there are cage hazards to make the wall and stall more interesting. Perhaps a robot arm that uses a taser on their back every 10 seconds.

It wasn't particulalry exciting, especially in the latter half of the fight. But it was effective. It's hard to look good against someone like DC.

It is his job not to stink up the joint. If the fighter is not entertaining, fans will not want to watch him.

Jones is wrong.

It is his job not to stink up the joint. If the fighter is not entertaining, fans will not want to watch him.

Jones is wrong.

Jones is going to get paid, regardless, a LOT. All the ill will in the world from you,and people like you with an agenda is not going to change that.

Jones is wrong.

as long as he is the champ and arguably best P4P...there is nothing anyone can do. His real money as someone pointed out its in the win/maintaining the belt.

Mayweather boring as hell too but he is the richest athlete according to forbes.

Jones was outsruck in the first three rounds. Did his little get punched in the head while landing a couple of knee pushes and everybody thinks I won the striking because I landed more. He then wall and stalled the next two rounds. It was hardly this amazing GOAT performance.

It was a pathetic display. Neither Jones nor Cormier are anywhere near as skilled as Gustafsson.

Cormier>Henderson>Shogun>Machida>Evans>Davis>Gustaffson

Jones>Gustaffson

mma_math_mousepad.jpg

Back