Jon Jones is the best LHW fighter ever, but

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
...years from now, history will look back at him and see he was too scared to move up to HW when it was clearly obvious that he could have and SHOULD have.

If we're going to argue JJ is the GOAT then we have to take this into consideration. GOAT's transcend the sport, period. JJ still has time and I'd totally root him on but if he wants to transcend the sport and cement himself as a GOAT he should finish his career in the HW division and win a HW belt before he retires. IMO he's no GOAT unless he does that.

wjn64HT.gif

Jones transcending the LHW division isn't the same as him transcending the sport.

Jon Jones is my favorite natty vegan Sagittarius fighter

Jon Jones looks like he's about to clear out a third generation of LHW contenders... It's not really fair to say he's "too scared" to go up in weight when he already beat the previous champion, and is in the process of achieving the greatest MMA championship run of all time.

The asterisk will be there for other reasons...

Jonathan will be remembered as a PED cheater once he retires and UFC has no financial interest in protecting his image anymore.

Jones is so good he gets punished for fighting in his weight class

If he beats Reyes, the LHW Division is cleared out for a while. It'll take some time for another contender to emerge, so Jones should absolutely move up to HW.

Wow fucking original thread mate

Well done

Jon Jones looks like he's about to clear out a third generation of LHW contenders... It's not really fair to say he's "too scared" to go up in weight when he already beat the previous champion, and is in the process of achieving the greatest MMA championship run of all time.

The asterisk will be there for other reasons...
I agree but him telling Issy he didn't need two years to believe in his ability to fight at a higher weight sounds hollow when Jones won't do the same himself.

Fighters should not move up while defending another belt.
Defend your fucking belt. Don't slow the division down. It's irrelevant to how good of a fighter you are.

No Boner will be remembered as a cheating cunt, no matter how hard the UFC tries to sweep that shit under the carpet.

...years from now, history will look back at him and see he was too scared to move up to HW when it was clearly obvious that he could have and SHOULD have.

If we're going to argue JJ is the GOAT then we have to take this into consideration. GOAT's transcend the sport, period. JJ still has time and I'd totally root him on but if he wants to transcend the sport and cement himself as a GOAT he should finish his career in the HW division and win a HW belt before he retires. IMO he's no GOAT unless he does that.
Even though he lost their first fight with alexander gus-- I still think bones is the best LHW of all time in any banner

I agree but him telling Issy he didn't need two years to believe in his ability to fight at a higher weight sounds hollow when Jones won't do the same himself.
Izzy has less to lose by hopping up, plus he's looking for the fight.

Do you honestly think that this generation of HWs would trouble Jones? I think he was scared to fight Cain and JDS when they were prime, but you can't tell me that Stipe, whom DC manhandled, or 1 round Francis with poor wrestling and footwork pose a heavy threat.

This is about legacy... LHW has just gig interesting again, and there's fresh contenders that are dangerous... Jones has reached the stage where he can do what he wants pretty much. Give it a year and we'll see... And Izzy has about as much chance if beating Jones as I do, and they both know it.

Hes 31 and defeated the HW champion twice.
Hes defeated the HW champ of every major mma organization.

Hes a LHW with nothing to prove.
He can go to HW in his late 30s and clear that out too. If he even bothers.

But we know when he does that, "HW was really never that good, he was ducking MW"

Hes 31 and defeated the HW champion twice.

Yes, but he did not beat the HW champion at HW. This is what he must do if he wants GOAT status IMO.

Again, he's the greatest LHW fighter ever. He's beaten HW champs that came down to LHW...but if he wants to cement himself as a GOAT then he should go up to HW and win a HW title. If he doesn't do this, I think people will look back and see that he was afraid to do it.

Back