Jon Jones could lose to Daniel Cormier and still be the GOAT.

Unicorn Princes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just because of how young he is.

Barring serious career-ending injuries, Jon Jones could be fighting long after DC retires.

To put this into perspective, if Vitor Belfort beats Chris Weidman and goes on to dominate the MW division for a few years, do you really think people are going to be bringing up the fact that he lost to Tito Ortiz 15 years ago as a reason for why he's not a great fighter? No. People don't even bring that up now.

So yes, Daniel Cormier could beat Jon Jones (and I hope he does), but I don't think there's anything DC can do to take GOAT status away from a fighter as young as Jon Jones when it's all said and done.

Just because of how young he is.

Barring serious career-ending injuries, Jon Jones could be fighting long after DC retires.

To put this into perspective, if Vitor Belfort beats Chris Weidman and goes on to dominate the MW division for a few years, do you really think people are going to be bringing up the fact that he lost to Tito Ortiz 15 years ago as a reason for why he's not a great fighter? No. People don't even bring that up now.

So yes, Daniel Cormier could beat Jon Jones (and I hope he does), but I don't think there's anything DC can do to take GOAT status away from a fighter as young as Jon Jones when it's all said and done.

Vitor is not even in the discussion for being called GOAT. If he were, every loss would be brought up. If Jones were to have an unavenged loss to DC at arguably his athletic peak, and DC ruled over the division for a while, Jones' GOAT status would be hard to establish.

Not if Jones is dominated and never avenge that loss.

If you want to be the goat, you'll have to avenge your losses when you're in your prime otherwise GSP is ahead of you.

Is this how Jones huggers comfort themselves?

Anyway, yeah. Look at Belfort/Ortiz. They fought, Ortiz won but who is fighting for a championship now? One of many examples. The future doesnt matter though. What matters is right now.

The time is now

Vitor is not even in the discussion for being called GOAT. If he were, every loss would be brought up. If Jones were to have an unavenged loss to DC at arguably his athletic peak, and DC ruled over the division for a while, Jones' GOAT status would be hard to establish.

If GSP fought Anderson and lost, wouldn't that be similar to Jones vs DC (other than it's DC moving down in weight to beat Jones rather than Jones move up like GSP would against Silva)

But GSP would still have GOAT status
Why is Jones different if he dominates everyone minus a loss to DC

It's like with the elder wand dude, if DC beats Jones he becomes the GOAT.

If GSP fought Anderson and lost, wouldn't that be similar to Jones vs DC (other than it's DC moving down in weight to beat Jones rather than Jones move up like GSP would against Silva)

But GSP would still have GOAT status
Why is Jones different if he dominates everyone minus a loss to DC

If Anderson made weight at 170 and beat GSP, how could you argue that GSP had GOAT status instead of Andeson?

Jones isn't the GOAT now, and he still won't be after tomorrow, reguardless if he wins or loses.

Already lost to Hamill.

FabricioWerdum_weirdface_display_image.jpg

Hell, you could lose to Daiju Takase and still be the GOAT.

No one will ever be the GOAT. Everyone will have some little flaw in their resume that people will pick at and argue about for all eternity.

Not if Jones is dominated and never avenge that loss.

If you want to be the goat, you'll have to avenge your losses when you're in your prime otherwise GSP is ahead of you.

Really? Muhammad Ali didn't even avenge half of his losses. Neither did Anderson Silva.

Really? Muhammad Ali didn't even avenge half of his losses. Neither did Anderson Silva.

Ali avenged 3 out of 5 of his losses. He never lost a rematch. I don't think it's fair to hold his last two fights against him.

Jones will never be goat, he is efficient winning fights, GOAT has magic, is more subjective, its not only about efficiency, its like saying Mayweather could be boxing GOAT

jones will not lose to cormier

I hope he does, but even if so, like I don't think he would necessarily knock him out of GOAT just because he's so young that he could be fighting 10 years from now as long as he's healthy.

Back