Joint supplements?

• Thread starter Deleted member 64073
  • Start date
Eh, I use the pills.

I bought some Triflex yesterday, based on this thread. My right shoulder has always been a bit tempermental (off and on), so we'll see if this helps.

fat_wilhelm said:
I bought some Triflex yesterday, based on this thread. My right shoulder has always been a bit tempermental (off and on), so we'll see if this helps.
Thats cool, we can compare notes after taking this for a while.

Although I bought it for my knee, my neck has had mild, but chronic pain in it due to working on the phone for years and typing on a keyboard. (Finally wised up & bought a headset). So, I'm hoping the Triflex will help there, too.

I took my first dose yesterday at lunch. After taking it I see this warning on the bottle about not taking Triflex if you are alergic to shellfish. Apparently it is made from shellfish. Well, BINGO, I get violently ill when eating some shellfish, such as scallops, so I was a little worried for a few hours. But....no problems at all with reactions, and I am on my 5th dose already.

I've heard of physicians recommending a loading phase for glucosamine supplements, which essentially means taking 3-4 times the recommended dosage for 4-5 days. I tried it once, but wasn't able to see much difference. Others may benefit from it, so I thought I'd mention it.

Also, the popular opinion is that liquid glucosamine is more effective than pills because the body absorbs more, but I haven't noticed a difference between the two myself.

Give yourself at least 2 months on glucosamine in order to notice a difference in how your joints feel.

Looks like I'll be picking up some Triflex. My wrists are junk from drumming and using a computer at work all damn day.

Man, try syn-flex. It's a liquid glucosamine supp that's worked better in the 20 days i've been using it than any of the pills i took for years (and i took everyone GNC & Vitamin World has to offer) Don't get me wrong, tri-flex is some good stuff, i'm even considering taking one a day with my syn-flex (i got it pretty bad, OCD in my left knee) but give syn-flex a shot, it's good stuff.

King Kabuki said:
I was just going to suggest that. Sorry I didn't see the question sooner. But yeah, that helped me with my snip snappy joints.

Sorry guys to bring up such an old thread, but i jsut bough Tirflex Sport today and was wondering King how did. Will it hurt if I just take 4 in the morning and thats it.

Just wondering ? Thanks alot

Vxfilmer1000 said:
Sorry guys to bring up such an old thread, but i jsut bough Tirflex Sport today and was wondering King how did. Will it hurt if I just take 4 in the morning and thats it.

Just wondering ? Thanks alot

You're stomach probably won't be too happy with you

I have taken glucosamine/chondroitin with and without MSM for last 2-3 years with no sideeffects whatsoever....last 4 monts I been taken 2-3 times the recommended dosage with no sideeffects of any kind....it's been working it's usual magic...including making me almost forget about my completely torn lateral meniscus in my left knee....i love it...

I would go with generic...no sense paying extra for brand name...

Lots of good advice here.

I recommend glucosamine too, my body takes a serious beating daily.

Tons of options here; Glucosamine

Try it out, but in the end, see what works for you. Everyones different.

fat_wilhelm said:
I'm a firm believer that tape, used consistently, can lead to more injuries (can, not will). I've read a number of studies supporting the notion, too, so it's not just my opinion. As a soccer player, I had so many ankle blowouts that I couldn't go two or three games w/o reinjuring one of them to some degree.

I became so fed up w/ it that I started doing a lot of research on strengthening ligaments, which as we know, don't tear and build back like muscle. I ended up gathering a lot of information on Prolotherapy, found a D.O. in my area that performed it and had it done over the course of about five treatments.

For those that don't know what it is, Prolotherapy is a treatment in which benign substances (sugar water, cod liver oil, etc.) are injected directly into your ligaments. The body senses the impostor and reads it as in injury, promoting ligament tissue build-up in the area of the injections. It was an odd experience, because my ankles would swell up and become hard to walk on for a day or two after treatment, just as if I sprained one -- it just didn't last as long.

Anyhow, that was probably three or four years ago and I've been playing soccer two to three times a week since then w/ no tape and zero injuries. Best money I ever spent (along w/ Lasik), but it's only meant to treat injuries and chronic pain in ankles, knees, lower back, etc. It's not really a method of helping support healthy joints.

All that said, I don't want you to think that there aren't instances where tape, wraps, etc. shouldn't be used; Kabuki, I'm sure you'll verify that a boxer would be crazy not to wrap their hands before a fight. I do, however, think that the body learns to depend on "crutches" to a point where they do far more harm than good, and thus, the use of such support aids should be limited.

Sorry if any of that was a bit off topic. I'm a firm believer in unconventional medicine and I went off on a bit of a tangent there.

http://www.prolotherapy.com/

thats interesting for me, having had surgery on my ankle. rehab does not seem to make the ligiments stronger no matter what I do. Taping it for gym work hurts like a mother fucker so i have resorted to only taping it when I go back to actual BJJ/MT

but the idea of having someone inject shit into my ankle, ugh.

~FOz

Well I have been on Triflex since I saw this thread, and so far I have noticed a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I have used just about everything for aching joints over the years, and I must say only one product has worked well for me. Cissus, that stuff was gold, first pain free years in a long time, in fact I need to re-up as winter takes a toll on my knees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back