Joint supplements?

• Thread starter Deleted member 64073
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 64073

I was thinking now that im doing more jump roping, and kicking a punching bag, what would be good for my joints to protect them? Should I rest them? how much? My parents drink some joint juice and I plan on getting some of my own, but I would really like to know what you guys have to say.

I've only ever heard of Glucosimine being for joints and cartilage. Maybe tape your ankles?

Triflex, Omega 3 fatty acids, if you have a real problem Shark Cartilage can also help. And yes, tape or a brace would be good.

I have no problems yet but I know they're coming. You miss to many kicks and land with your ancle and eventually you mess something up. I have ancle supports which help.
Thanks for the info.

My ankles are stuffed. When i am using fish oil tablets, also glucosiumine, my joints feel much better. I tape my ankles when they are sore, due to the fact it costs shit loads to tape them all the time. I know down the line, like this year, i will need to have a scrape in each ankle. Maybe thats your problem? torn cartlidge floating around can rupture and cause more problems.

ACR4V3N said:
I have no problems yet but I know they're coming. You miss to many kicks and land with your ancle and eventually you mess something up. I have ancle supports which help.
Thanks for the info.
WTF?

You miss a kick you land safely. If you can't do that you can't kickbox.

Wiseyoda said:
My ankles are stuffed. When i am using fish oil tablets, also glucosiumine, my joints feel much better. I tape my ankles when they are sore, due to the fact it costs shit loads to tape them all the time. I know down the line, like this year, i will need to have a scrape in each ankle. Maybe thats your problem? torn cartlidge floating around can rupture and cause more problems.
Again, WTF?

You're talking about getting a "scrape" too nonchalantly for me to read comfortably.

i think i'm gonna get into taping my shins, i'm flat footed and really prone to shin splints...

Everyone is bound to miss a kick once in awhile.
Dont lie, you know when you get cought up in punching the bag and its farther away then you notice and you throw a kick, sometimes your going to land with your ancle.

Thanks for the info though ill have to try that.
Also I have problems with my shoulder that needs some repair (I let it rest plenty and know the problem and solution)

ACR4V3N said:
Everyone is bound to miss a kick once in awhile.
Dont lie, you know when you get cought up in punching the bag and its farther away then you notice and you throw a kick, sometimes your going to land with your ancle.

Thanks for the info though ill have to try that.
Also I have problems with my shoulder that needs some repair (I let it rest plenty and know the problem and solution)
No, I honestly don't. When I miss, I miss safely. You need to check your balance.

glucosomine and condroitin (sp?). They won't magically "heal" your joints, but they can help prevent further damage from occuring.

They won't magically "heal" your joints, but they can help prevent further damage from occuring.

Actually long-term use has been known to re-build connective joint tissue.

King Kabuki said:
Actually long-term use has been known to re-build connective joint tissue.

KK - what do you recommend for a knee that has developed a click/pop sound without any associated pain?

(I think I stressed the cartiledge in my right knee during some high-rep squat work and this sound started in the knee. I'd like to take something to protect it and avoid any potential degradation. )

I already take fish oil caps and cold pressed flax seed oil daily.

Went out & bought the Triflex supplement at GNC. Will try that for 2 months and will report back.

Went out & bought the Triflex supplement at GNC. Will try that for 2 months and will report back.

I was just going to suggest that. Sorry I didn't see the question sooner. But yeah, that helped me with my snip snappy joints.

I'm a firm believer that tape, used consistently, can lead to more injuries (can, not will). I've read a number of studies supporting the notion, too, so it's not just my opinion. As a soccer player, I had so many ankle blowouts that I couldn't go two or three games w/o reinjuring one of them to some degree.

I became so fed up w/ it that I started doing a lot of research on strengthening ligaments, which as we know, don't tear and build back like muscle. I ended up gathering a lot of information on Prolotherapy, found a D.O. in my area that performed it and had it done over the course of about five treatments.

For those that don't know what it is, Prolotherapy is a treatment in which benign substances (sugar water, cod liver oil, etc.) are injected directly into your ligaments. The body senses the impostor and reads it as in injury, promoting ligament tissue build-up in the area of the injections. It was an odd experience, because my ankles would swell up and become hard to walk on for a day or two after treatment, just as if I sprained one -- it just didn't last as long.

Anyhow, that was probably three or four years ago and I've been playing soccer two to three times a week since then w/ no tape and zero injuries. Best money I ever spent (along w/ Lasik), but it's only meant to treat injuries and chronic pain in ankles, knees, lower back, etc. It's not really a method of helping support healthy joints.

All that said, I don't want you to think that there aren't instances where tape, wraps, etc. shouldn't be used; Kabuki, I'm sure you'll verify that a boxer would be crazy not to wrap their hands before a fight. I do, however, think that the body learns to depend on "crutches" to a point where they do far more harm than good, and thus, the use of such support aids should be limited.

Sorry if any of that was a bit off topic. I'm a firm believer in unconventional medicine and I went off on a bit of a tangent there.

http://www.prolotherapy.com/

King Kabuki said:
I was just going to suggest that. Sorry I didn't see the question sooner. But yeah, that helped me with my snip snappy joints.
Thanks King. Glad I picked the right one, although I probably should have bought liquid form? The Triflex stuff ain't cheap, but if it works, I'll probably take it for 6mos or more.

Back