Johnson was willing to fight Dillashaw (2015), Cruz (2016), and Garbrandt (2017)

Yep, they should pay fighters by the pound...
He doesn't bring interest, he doesn't generate revenue so he shouldn't get paid above what he's worth , which isn't much. This is a business not some honor sport with a ladder system.

I guarante if he had actually persued these fights, they would have been made.

Why wait for the UFC?

If he had put himself out there in the media campaining for these fights. Called the guys out after a win, or even on twitter...
You know... created hype for the fights and everything...

Then maybe the UFC would have dished out the money he wanted. You just need to show the UFC people have interest in a fight these days and they will do it. (which wouldnt even be really that hard... by now everybody kinda wants to see this already)

But no, he prefers to sit around and be like paint drying.
That's not necessarily true. Ben Henderson campaigned for a fight with GSP, he didn't get it. Dillashaw campaigned for a rematch with Cruz, he didn't get it. In fact, it took him almost two years, two fights, and a season of TUF to get another title shot.

I guarante if he had actually persued these fights, they would have been made.
He asked the UFC for Cody and they told him, “NO. It won’t sell.” Look I get it that we’re, more or less, parroting the sentiments of the party we choose to believe here. But I, for one, am confident believeing DJ over Dana white. Dana’s a promoter....enough said. I’m not gonna bash him about it but what promoter doesn’t Lie? Dana is the master manipulator. His favorite line is, “Well he just doesn’t wanna fight.” Run that through the BS translator and it comes out as, “I don’t want to pay him what he’s asking.”

But he ended up figting Ray Borg and Tim Elmond or whatever his name is.

People only started calling him a duck after they fell for Dana White's smear campaign, because Johnson has been open to these fights for the last three years:

February 8th, 2015 | Johnson vs. Dillashaw

"Mighty Mouse" said he ran into Dillashaw in Las Vegas over the weekend during UFC 183 fight week and told him the plot.

"I was like, 'Hey, I told everybody that I'll fight you,'" Johnson said. "He was like, 'You did?' I said, 'Yes and I told everybody we gotta get paid. I said $2 million.' He goes, 'Eff, yeah. I'm down with that.'"

Johnson (21-2-1) conceded that it wouldn't take quite that much. But close.

"I guess not," he said. "Maybe one million if Dana wants to come out with that."
https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/...-down-for-superfight-with-t-j-dillashaw-for-2

September 14th, 2016 | Johnson vs. Cruz

In an interview with Australian podcast ‘Submission Radio’, Johnson revealed that he feels unappreciated for all he has done for the sport. The fighter made it clear that the amount of money it would take for him and Dominick Cruz to engage in a super fight between reigning champions would be two million US-dollars.

“I think two million dollar is fair”, Johnson said. “I think it’s two million. Obviously we don’t have the same fanbase, you know, we’re not prom king or prince or duke or whatever like Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz are. But I’ll tell you what, our skillset and what we’ve done in the past as mixed martial artists in this sport – shit, Dominick Cruz has defended his belt more times than Conor McGregor has and Conor McGregor is more active than Dominick Cruz. So that right there, just what we bring to the table as athletes and what we’ve done in this sport, I think that deserves two million dollars, especially since the UFC got bought for 4.2 billion dollars. WME-IMG has the cash to front this fight.”
https://agfight.com.br/en/demetriou...nts-two-million-for-super-fight-against-cruz/

April 12th, 2017 | Johnson vs. Garbrandt

For his part, “Mighty Mouse” says he’ll accept that challenge. Or he could go up to 135 pounds. Either way, he’s not going to shy away from the callout.

“If he wants to come down and the UFC wants to give him an immediate title shot, that’s what they do nowadays, you get an immediate title shot,” Johnson said Monday. “If I go up and challenge him for his belt, if the negotiations go well, then yeah, it could happen.”
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/...n-says-hed-fight-cody-garbrandt-at-135-or-125

Johnson's reservations about fighting Dillashaw back in 2017 centered around the fight becoming a non-title fight on what otherwise would've been his record breaking title defense due to Dillashaw having never competed at Flyweight before. Additionally, Johnson was denied PPV points for the fight.

If Dana White came out and agreed to Johnson's request for a $1-2 million total purse, and Johnson turned down the fight, I'd be the first person calling him a duck, but given that there's a history for Johnson's requirements for these fights spanning back three years then I'm not falling for White's lies.
MM doesn't seem to understand how the fight game works.
If you want the big bucks but have all the charm and charisma of a pubic louse then you're gonna have to take, and win, fights against fighters with a bigger profile until people care enough to want to part with their cash to see you.
You don't get paid what you're worth until
people give a shit about watching you fight.
As good as he is, nobody cares cos' the only name on his record that most people would recognise is Cruz.

That's not necessarily true. Ben Henderson campaigned for a fight with GSP, he didn't get it. Dillashaw campaigned for a rematch with Cruz, he didn't get it. In fact, it took him almost two years, two fights, and a season of TUF to get another title shot.
old times...

this is the WME era

The problem with mm is i dont care if he wins and i dont care if he loses. Im sure many other fans feel the same but i know most fans would like for him to lose but they wont pay to see him lose. hes irrelevant really

I believe RDA had also wanted to fight Lawler for the title (when they were both champions), and Aldo wanted to fight for the Lightweight title but White required him to vacate the Featherweight title.

He asked the UFC for Cody and they told him, “NO. It won’t sell.” Look I get it that we’re, more or less, parroting the sentiments of the party we choose to believe here. But I, for one, am confident believeing DJ over Dana white. Dana’s a promoter....enough said. I’m not gonna bash him about it but what promoter doesn’t Lie? Dana is the master manipulator. His favorite line is, “Well he just doesn’t wanna fight.” Run that through the BS translator and it comes out as, “I don’t want to pay him what he’s asking.”
When there's multiple videos being made about his lies, he's certainly the last person fans should trust:

MM doesn't seem to understand how the fight game works.
If you want the big bucks but have all the charm and charisma of a pubic louse then you're gonna have to take, and win, fights against fighters with a bigger profile until people care enough to want to part with their cash to see you.
You don't get paid what you're worth until
people give a shit about watching you fight.
As good as he is, nobody cares cos' the only name on his record that most people would recognise is Cruz.
If you look at how Johnson and the Flyweight division was introduced and promoted in its first several years, it's not difficult to see why it's done poor business. The UFC is overrated as a promotional company in so many ways I could make a whole thread on it, but that's neither here nor there.

Demetrius Johhnson is Presently the GOAT MMA FIGHTER.

RECORDS DO NOT LIE

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Demetrious-Johnson-45452

Examine... also Understand he is the Smallest 125 er fighting.

Compare against any other NON CHEATER ,,either a cheat via PED's , or Illegal Tactics...aka EYEPOKING AS A TACTIC

MM IS THE BEST

If you look at how Johnson and the Flyweight division was introduced and promoted in its first several years, it's not difficult to see why it's done poor business. The UFC is overrated as a promotional company in so many ways I could make a whole thread on it, but that's neither here nor there.
And surely that's the point. They have done a poor job promoting both him and the division but MM isn't doing anything to help himself.
Take and win the bigger profile fights and maybe people will care enough to spend money watching you fight.
Or sit back, demand more money than the fight is worth and watch your career go by without the compensation your skills deserve.

And surely that's the point. They have done a poor job promoting both him and the division but MM isn't doing anything to help himself.
Take and win the bigger profile fights and maybe people will care enough to spend money watching you fight.
That's a paradox if I ever saw one:

1) The UFC, you admit, has done and continues to do a poor job promoting him and the division.
2) Your solution is for Johnson to accept and win "bigger profile fights" in spite of the point "1".

Bantamweight is just as poorly promoted (and cared about) as Flyweight, otherwise its champions wouldn't have historically been reserved for the co-main event slots on PPVs.

Isn't DJ only asking for a couple million at the very most? That isn't an insane amount.
but relatively to how much he draws, it is. remember that 3 years ago he was main eventing ppv and pulling 110k buys at most. this in an era that you could still sell ppv reasonably well. then the ufc pulled him from these cards because he was actually hurting their profits (a regular ufc ppv used to do at least 200k buys, with MM it dropped to the low 100k. then he started main eventing fox cards. and now he's co-main eventing ppv)

what champ is making 1 million to fight? and MM wants that? can't see how this wouuld be good business by the ufc

So asking for 1 million to fight a champion from the division above, while being ranked the #1 p4p fighter in the world with the most consecutive title defenses is out of the question; but beating Al Iaquinta to get the LW title, not having even fought the #1 and #2 fighters in the division and asking for 10 million is ok?

yes, because fighting accomplishments don't mean much at all. khabib is asking for a lot because he is going to fight the biggest ppv draw in the history of the sport. it makes some sense. still, I doubt he's getting 10 million. I think its the old tactic of asking a lot and meeting in the middle

The UFC is overrated as a promotional company in so many ways I could make a whole thread on it, but that's neither here nor there.
Couldn’t agree more with this statement. What they have going in their favor is fighters are beating down the door trying to get in and this covers up to some extent their ineptitude. Once/if they start to lose this, their shortcoming will become way more apparent.

but relatively to how much he draws, it is. remember that 3 years ago he was main eventing ppv and pulling 110k buys at most. this in an era that you could still sell ppv reasonably well. then the ufc pulled him from these cards because he was actually hurting their profits (a regular ufc ppv used to do at least 200k buys, with MM it dropped to the low 100k. then he started main eventing fox cards. and now he's co-main eventing ppv)

what champ is making 1 million to fight? and MM wants that? can't see how this wouuld be good business by the ufc

yes, because fighting accomplishments don't mean much at all. khabib is asking for a lot because he is going to fight the biggest ppv draw in the history of the sport. it makes some sense. still, I doubt he's getting 10 million. I think its the old tactic of asking a lot and meeting in the middle
I'd assume DC, Robert Whittaker, Conor, Anderson, GSP, Diaz, Brawk and a few more make quite a bit more a million or at the very least a million. It isn't like DJ would be making that every fight, only for that one which isn't a lot. If Dana can spend a million on his son's birthday he can afford to give DJ that much.

I'd assume DC, Robert Whittaker, Conor, Anderson, GSP, Diaz, Brawk and a few more make quite a bit more a million or at the very least a million. It isn't like DJ would be making that every fight, only for that one which isn't a lot. If Dana can spend a million on his son's birthday he can afford to give DJ that much.
but that's dana money, not ufc money. two different things. and at least disclosed money I think only gsp, brock and mcgregor made more than a million. and MM isn't at that level. not in the drawing power level

$1 million would equal 10% of the PPV revenue as long as it pulled in at least 167,000 buys; that would leave 10% left for Dillashaw, and 30% left for the UFC (the other 50% goes to the cable company). Are haters/detractors really trying to pretend like Johnson vs. Dillashaw would sell less then that?

Now that I think about it...the UFC putting them both on the same card could be a test run to see what sort of numbers they pull, and if they pull in enough buys they might just go ahead and pay Johnson what he's asking for.

Mouse would never sniff a million dollars to show payday gtfo. Would be surprised if they pay him above 200k.
He made a flat rate of 370k vs Borg, 360k vs Reis and 350k vs Elliott.. prior to that he was making a little over 100k to show during the span of the Benavidez 2 fight to the first Cejudo fight. He is asking for 1-2 mil in total pay, not to show..

Back