John Woo to Remake THE KILLER with Lupita Nyong'o to Star

<{katwhu}>

I am legit fiddling my with my sarcasm detector here to see if you're being serious. I think that you are.

Resident Evil, Lucy, Salt, Aliens, Ghost in the Shell, Underworld, Tomb Raider, Nikita, Atomic Blonde, Hanna, Aeon Flux, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Haywire, Ultraviolet, Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill . . . maybe even count T2?

Too few female action movie leads? Lately I've been wondering where all the male action movie leads are. The Rock is just one man and Statham is barely hanging on.

Still about 95% of Superhero films, the Fast and Furious films, the coming Han Solo film, John Wick, The Pirates films, etc the reality is that male leads are still make up the vast majority of action blockbusters.

If theres a problem its that Hollywood is increasingly using politics to try and sell cinema rather than having the cinema sell itself. That does often involve overplaying the importance of any individual film with a female lead as if its the first ever made and the end result is often stuff like the Starwars sequels and the Ghostbusters remake that aren't very good. The politics basically becomes a shield for criticism of a film as with The Last Jedi recently.

When the big media equality hype comes out for a film these days my feeling is always "this is going to be crap isn't it?".

not too thrilled about remakes, but recasting the lead as a black female makes this somewhat justifiable. But why not just create a new franchise then?
Really??

It's Hollywood is trying so hard to push black stars in movies now and proclaim DIVERSITY....meanwhile Asian leads are non existent and getting recast to other races left and right.
Diversity my ass lol

I'd rather have him remake Forest Gump with her starring. Same exact script.

I've got a few good ideas for next year's filming schedule.

Remake of Geronimo: An American Legend starring Vivica A. Fox
Remake of Slumdog Millionaire starring Lela Rochon
Remake of The Kite Runner starring Octavia Spencer
Remake of Schindler's List starring CCH Pounder
Remake of The Seven Samurai starring S. Epatha Merkerson
Remake of Nanook of the North starring Phylicia Rashad
Remake of The Killing Fields starring Jasmine Guy

Last edited:
Really??

It's Hollywood is trying so hard to push black stars in movies now and proclaim DIVERSITY....meanwhile Asian leads are non existent and getting recast to other races left and right.
Diversity my ass lol

Can I copywrite the phase "blackwashing" now before its use takes off? $1 for me every time its used on Sherdog.

Cant wait for the Face/off Remake with Amy Shumer and Meryl Streep

not too thrilled about remakes, but recasting the lead as a black female makes this somewhat justifiable. But why not just create a new franchise then?

There are far too few female action movie leads, and even fewer that are black so it should be interesting.

In b4 triggered shertard cucks get mad about sjw's ruining movies.
Yeah just make it a spinoff or something. Like a less mediocre Columbiana.

You don't need to remake cult classics. Hell, "cult" is almost selling The Killer short.

I'll go out on a limb right now and say this won't be as good as the original.

I say it has a chance ... in a plot twist the main character goes and knocks off the characters of the Ghostbusters remake.

You have just encapsulated Hollywood's entire historical existence there. So why would they change that now?

Do you honestly think there was a time when they were not trying to figure out who there audience was, what they wanted to buy and then trying to give them that?

Please refresh my memory. Historically, when has a director remade one of their own films?

Ju-On & The grudge
LA takedown and Heat

Hmm, I had to google. Seems LA takedwn and Heat, tho directed by the same person, seem to have different Titles and plot summaries. I checked his IMDB and did not see him (Mann) directing either of those movies a second time? Maybe I misgoogled

So I guess you got me with Ju-Oh. The one time a director did it, was within 2 years, in an attempt to break into the US movie market. Something Woo already tried and done, tho this was a much more immediate cash grab, after having a one time hit, not an established HK director.

Are there any others?

As I said, I have no problem with a different director remaking it with the female lead. Or Woo putting in some effort, making a new movie with a black female lead.

Last edited:
They should make her a tranny for extra sjw points.
Modern media is all about shoving the alpha woman down our throats. It is hilariously evident in advertising, where you see these beta pussies and their alpha women taking charge of everything. Then, you see it in reality. Truly vomit inducing. I am pro feminism, but spare me this superiority garbage. You're a woman. I will break you in two just like I would a 115 pound man with no muscle.
That's the skinny jean men wearing generation to you. Funniest part is that no women in real life like that shit. Have you ever seen a woman seeking a man that dosent take the lead?

If Hollywood’s new thing is “Let’s remake movies and take the original characters and make them black or female so we can get the SJW demographic” then they better do a good job with the movie, or else they alienate the original fan base. The New Ghostbusters should never have been made and was brutal. Making MJ in Spider-Man a black girl, when everyone knows her as a red head seemed forced. Especially when you made her act like a stoner.

Lupita Nyong’o?

Really?

Hmm, I had to google. Seems LA takedwn and Heat, tho directed by the same person, seem to have different Titles and plot summaries. I checked his IMDB and did not see him (Mann) directing either of those movies a second time? Maybe I misgoogled

So I guess you got me with Ju-Oh. The one time a director did it, was within 2 years, in an attempt to break into the US movie market. Something Woo already tried and done, tho this was a much more immediate cash grab, after having a one time hit, not an established HK director.

Are there any others?

As I said, I have no problem with a different director remaking it with the female lead. Or Woo putting in some effort, making a new movie with a black female lead.

For some reason, this guy...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2651069/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

...made Hidden in the Woods twice in three years. They both sucked.

The Vanishing and Funny Games were both made twice by one director.

Last edited:

Heat is a remake of LA Takedown, but in fairness LA takedown was a made for TV movie...so may not be too relevant.
Not sure where you read the plot summaries but its basically the same with the same characters and the characters even have the same names...Heat is a bit more fleshed out because it's longer.

Sorry, not buying a 5’4 100 lb female assasin.
I love John Woo, but reboots of classic male roles with female casting is lazy garbage 99% of the time. Women beating up bigger men unrealistically in films is getting pretty old too, and rarely done well.

Heat is a remake of LA Takedown, but in fairness LA takedown was a made for TV movie...so may not be too relevant.
Not sure where you read the plot summaries but its basically the same with the same characters and the characters even have the same names...Heat is a bit more fleshed out because it's longer.

Ah yes, I did not misgoogle, I misread somewhat. The addition of Natalie Portman's character as well as describing the criminal past of the gang threw me off when I glanced at the summaries (haven't seen either). To their credit tho, LA Takedown seems to be highly rated for a TV movie. TV movies are a little bit different than blockbuster releases, so I can see why one might think that warrants a remake.

I guess I should have been a little more precise with my statement.

I don't want them to start a trend of having a big name director, remake their own movie, where the original was from when the director was already established and had a big budget, and is regarded as a classic. And, in the statement about the remake, state that they want to shoot it in a similar style to recreate the old one.

Please refresh my memory. Historically, when has a director remade one of their own films?
Does not change what I said.

The entire history of Hollywood has been pandering.

Hollywood is an industry built around 'licking the finger, putting it up to try and determine which way the wind is blowing today and trying to figure out how to pander to that and see movie tickets'. Hollywood will chase any trend and push and pander as much as they can to sell their product. That is Hollywood. Anyone arguing against that simply does not know Hollywood.

To draw a line that says the 99.999999% of pandering is ok but 'boy did they ever cross an uncrossable now' seems a little silly, no? And Hollywood will NEVER draw that line you might want if they think/hope they make a buck there if they cross and maybe start a new trend or build a new market.

Back