• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Romero is about to make you his #*$%@, with Doom wads in 2018

Yeah I figured you meant m7 was crazy hard, or is it just stupid?
The very end of it has a huge difficulty spike thanks to some seriously shoddy design. Trust me, you'll see what I mean as soon as you play through it!

You tube is full of people bashing on it.

Kinda sad, watching stuff like this makes me let down before I even play it.

I was expecting more. Hopefully when I play it it will be better than what I’m hearing.

If not I’ll just load “go 2 it” or some other crazy wad map and rip and tear.

Here's a much less whiny review

Here's a much less whiny review

Thanks, now I really want to play it and step straight off into it in Ultraviolence (like i was going to anyway), from this I gather what I had suspected anyway from others I’ve watched, is that the whiners just aren’t that good.

Whining about shotgunning a Baron? Yeah he SHOULD play it on Burt me plenty until he gets good lol.

I want my doom to challenge me, and Ultraviolence over the years on a lot of maps has gotten stale as I’ve gotten better and better(and I’m still no where near as good as I was back in the day) to the point where some maps I have to play on Nightmare to enjoy(now of course there are some that are fucking IMPOSSIBLE to 100% on Nightmare , it that’s the fun right, fuck speed running I’m a 100%er). Speed running was fun back in the day, seeing how far you could get on Nightmare but it got old.

I know I’m rambling out of control now, I’ve got some calander time freed up tomorrow night to play, and I’ll bring my damn PC home from work with me this weekend.

There are some doom “challenges “ out there that are fun, and he hinted at this being around that difficulty, like the teleport frag mention.

A fun challenge, if you wish to accept, is E4 M2 PISTOL START, no BFg grab, no Tele frag. 100% on Ultraviolence

I do it a little different than some, most run off the start and circle back around to the ol’ Cacy’s after I was bored of running I decided to stand my ground and fight them all before moving forward.

If you want to do the e4m2 challenge, do it the run way, or try it my way and stand your ground if the run away way is too easy for you.

But me , I like to rip and tear.

So now that it's officially released (available at https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il), has anyone else played it?

Here's my video review (minor spoilers, but nothing shown from E5M8 or E5M9):

Overall decent vid, thanks for posting it.

Ive Been too busy with work, worked later than wanted too today and didn’t unhook my pc and bring it home. Just wanted to get out of there.

I have other pc’s that would run it but am too worn out from work to jack with hooking one up and getting it running etc etc. I’ve been playing through d2 e2 on the 360 and started d2 e1 over

I’ll get to it sometime this week for sure though (or I hope) I waited so long for it to come out, and now that the box set showed up I’ve been too damn busy to play it.

I don’t agree with everything on your vid from a fundamental standpoint.

I don’t think they should have introduced a. Ew monster or weapon, it was a new episode of D1, it would have seemed out of place to have something that wasn’t in D2 thrown in there.

Now D2, starts on earth, so you could rationalize it by saying just that, it was a hell only monster or weapon and that’s why you don’t seen them or find it in D2, but I just think from a purist standpoint it doesn’t fit.

Your vid doesn’t look like you are 100%ing, have you 100%ed the whole game on Ultraviolence yet?

There are those that would argue, that until you have done so you haven’t “beaten “ the game yet.

Midnight is trying to Nightmare the whole game, his frustration rants are pretty funny if you’ve seen any of them.

Your vid doesn’t look like you are 100%ing, have you 100%ed the whole game on Ultraviolence yet?

There are those that would argue, that until you have done so you haven’t “beaten “ the game yet.
Nah, I have no desire to 100% it. To me that just makes for unnecessary busywork. Many of the exits are even structured in such a way that encourages dodging the last set of monsters "guarding" them, especially since killing them would mean expending a ton of ammo that could instead be carried over to the next map.

Nah, I have no desire to 100% it. To me that just makes for unnecessary busywork. Many of the exits are even structured in such a way that encourages dodging the last set of monsters "guarding" them, especially since killing them would mean expending a ton of ammo that could instead be carried over to the next map.
To each is own, what’s most important is to Enjoy the game the way you like to play it. Be it on “I’m to young to die” or what ever the weakest setting is, I scroll right past it so it’s odd that I’m not 100% sure what it’s actually called playing the game constantly lolol. Or speed running or playing Nightmare.

BUT if you are making videos claiming to have “beaten the game “ several times, and you are not 100%ing on ultraviolence there are those that will harass you about it.

I’m not one of them, but I know many that are.

Take it as “constructive criticism “ on your video content, not downplaying your choice of gameplay.

We are different types of players, and that’s cool. Like I said most importantly that we both ENJOY the HELL out of these games.

I just get my enjoyment in a different way than you, like I mentioned earlier , I Partake in the many “Doom Challenges” that are out there.

I’ve been playing it SO LONG , that I have too or it’s too easy at times even on ultraviolence, and play NIGHTMARE ALOT on some maps.

Me and my buddy decided on summer day in our youth we would “Beat” Doom, this was the challenge layed out.

Nightmare , 100%.
Now this was on 32x, so no save scrubbing. You die, you start back on E1.

It took us ALL Summer, but we did it.
We would play until we died, hand off to the other and play till we died.

It would have been easier on a PC, I’ve tried it before on a PC solo like that, but I get too tired, it’s mind numbingly exhausting.

The challenges are fun, easy to search for them.

D1E4M2
Pistol Start, No BFg grab , no telefrag
This is FUN, but I took it one step further and didn’t run around the corner and circle back. Stand your ground on the cacy’s that’s REALLY tough.

I streamed it but didn’t record it. I also streamed D1E4M1 Nightmare 100%

Here is an example.

And below, another fun challenge I mentioned earlier.
Go to it no BFg

I’m about halfway through Sigil, just made it to the start of map 5 last night. I like it so far, I don’t get all the fuss that people were disappointed about it. They’re challenging maps and they look great. These are the most truly Hell looking maps I think we’ve ever seen between Doom 1 and 2.

I don't know if I've really even legit beat DOOM and DOOM II. It was so long ago that I just can't remember.

I plan on doing a DDOM run soon to fix that. If you have DOOM on Steam, how does Sigil work with that?

I don't know if I've really even legit beat DOOM and DOOM II. It was so long ago that I just can't remember.

I plan on doing a DDOM run soon to fix that. If you have DOOM on Steam, how does Sigil work with that?
I'm pretty sure the Steam version uses DOSBox, which isn't really the ideal way to play.

Today most people use source ports like GZDoom and Crispy DOOM. GZDoom is probably the most popular since it's OpenGL-based and therefore supports high frame rates, modern resolutions, and a hell of a lot more. Crispy DOOM aims for authenticity, so it's closer to playing with DOSBox. It gives you more options than DOSBox though, so even if you crave an authentic DOS-like experience I recommend taking that route instead.

All you have to do to use a source port is:
  1. Download and extract the source port
  2. Navigate to your DOOM installation directory
  3. Copy DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD to the source port's (extracted) folder
  4. Run the source port's EXE
From that point on if you want to play a custom WAD, all you have to do is drag the WAD file onto the source port's EXE. Dead simple!

I actually made a video about this process a few months ago. It also contains several tips on how to best set up GZDoom (with features like mouselook, oldschool music, and more). Here's the link if you want to check it out.

If you're going to play SIGIL, I recommend using GZDoom. I've heard it won't launch at all with Chocolate DOOM, and Crispy DOOM's compatibility may be iffy (John Romero made it with (G)ZDoom in mind).

Last edited:
So now that it's officially released (available at https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il), has anyone else played it?

Here's my video review (minor spoilers, but nothing shown from E5M8 or E5M9):

Good review but I have to echo what @90 50 said about your wish that it had new monsters, textures or any new assets at all, That would kind of defeat the point of this being Romero’s “episode 5” if it had stuff that wasn’t in the original Doom.

Good review but I have to echo what @90 50 said about your wish that it had new monsters, textures or any new assets at all, That would kind of defeat the point of this being Romero’s “episode 5” if it had stuff that wasn’t in the original Doom.
I’ve had it since it arrived and still not played it :(

Really? You should make the time for it. I’m on level 6 now, it’s good. I like it quite a lot to be honest, and great music, even just the midi sound track. I’ve also listened to the bucket head one on YouTube, it’s great.

Still wrapped in it's collectors box for me. Likely won't come out and I'll download the WAD when I finally get around to playing it. Another title in my huge backlog.

Back